Remote Desktop

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Remote Desktop

Postby russ0417 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Is there a remote desktop channel for the roku available that can extend my pc desktop? low resolution would be fine too.
russ0417

Re: Remote Desktop

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm not quite certain what you're looking for. Can you be more specific in what you wish to do?

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:28 pm

I think he wants to be able to view what's on his pc on the TV screen, possibly he just needs a channel like Rocksbox or Chaneru or something to view his media through Roku
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Ahh, okay.

Yeah, there are a number of channels that can do this (streaming local media). A quick forum search will provide you with a number of options, including the two stated above :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby destruk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:50 pm

If you can connect your tv to your computer, windows will allow you to extend your desktop to it - no need for a roku to be involved in that case.
destruk

Postby krisbee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 am

Let me be the one to tell you, no, you can't do it.

There are channels to stream local media, but to stream an entire desktop (taskbar to the top), it would take a bit of processing power to do this live and responsive since it has to be transcoded to a roku playable format. Even transcoding a smaller portion of a window live and streaming it to the roku requires a bit of horsepower, and the two developers on this front would admit that it isn't easy and foolproof (iptvmyay and the one who shan't be named).

I wanted to do this to go in the main computer, put up a website with video, stream that to the other room - or dvd's, or whatever... it just is too much processing to make it happen effectively.

However, if you have a laptop and you want to look at another computer - you can remote into the other computer using your laptop, and then figure out how to get your laptop hooked up to your tv... that is possible (or just work from the laptop to the tv) Laptops will frequently have a tv out, or a converter box isn't too expensive - some have hdmi if you have an hdtv.
krisbee

Postby jnmcsm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Krisbee -

Actually, one of the channels does this - Gabby. They call it "screencasting." It's not fantastic, but it does work. Takes about 30 s to a minute to buffer (needs that time to save enough screen captures and transcoding to stream). Works over g wifi. When I do it, resolution/clarity is not great, but it does provide a means of streaming Flash sites.

The other nice thing about Gabby is that it allows you to stream most (common?) video formats, since it transcodes on the fly. No more need to convert files.
jnmcsm

Postby krisbee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Ah... very good. Glad there is a least one option out there. To me, still easier just to use your laptop if you have one, but I'm old-fashioned that way :)
krisbee

Postby mbratch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:00 pm

jnmcsm wrote:Krisbee -

Actually, one of the channels does this - Gabby. They call it "screencasting." It's not fantastic, but it does work. Takes about 30 s to a minute to buffer (needs that time to save enough screen captures and transcoding to stream). Works over g wifi. When I do it, resolution/clarity is not great, but it does provide a means of streaming Flash sites.

The other nice thing about Gabby is that it allows you to stream most (common?) video formats, since it transcodes on the fly. No more need to convert files.

I just tried Gabby. I can see how it might serve up videos from a Windows PC on your network, but I don't see the screen casting option. But, alas, it simply didn't work at all. Got it connected, my Roku saw my server, but when I click on it, it just says "retrieving..." forever....
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby jnmcsm » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:16 am

You need to make sure that you install the beta version of Gabby for screencasting.

It is definitely still buggy. Fortunately, each time you fire up the server, it updates itself to the most recent version. So if one version doesn't work on your PC, the next one may. Or may not...

Screencast is one of the top-level selections on the Gabby channel.
jnmcsm

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion