Hulu Plus Freezes

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Hulu Plus Freezes

Postby jeffrok » Tue May 24, 2011 6:06 am

I have a lot of H+ problems, but I've gotten so used to them because I really like the content.. An occasional lockup or reboot is no big deal to me these days.. Not to say I LIKE the reboots/freezes, but I'm just not shocked or upset when they happen.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby codgus » Fri May 27, 2011 11:34 am

mannyhz wrote:I have tried 2x to subscribe to Hulu Plus to use via my Roku. The Hulu Plus shows freeze and I have cancelled my subscription. I am wondering if this is a Roku problem or a Hulu Plus problem? Any ideas????

I'm thinking it's a HULU issue, I have HULU Plus on the ROKU and my iPhone 4.On both, the freezing activity is going on. :roll:

It could however be our internet connection. If you have download activity on your machine, or something else that shares the Internet activity, it could interfere.

::UPDATE:: while I typed that above I decided to reboot my router and cable modem; after restart and full return, same activity.
So next, I pulled my iPhone off the network and started just HULU on my 3G connection. No more freezing. So it must be my Internet connection. Based on my tests, I'll trouble shoot my connection further.

::NEW UPDATE:: It still does spit and sputter, at least for now. As I typed this, the sound dropped out returning from a commercial, and blew it out of sync. I return my original statement that it's a HULU issue.
codgus

Postby mannyhz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 am

Hi,
I was the one WHO started this thread. I submitted a "problem report" to Hulu and they were wonderful. Gave me detailed instructions and a free month. There has been NO PROBLEMS since then. For me the trick was to actually get a person to communicate with me but once I was on that list all is good. Glad I have Hulu Plus.

Manny
mannyhz

Postby DaBronx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 am

Davis wrote:I've had neverending problems with Hulu as well. Usually, it becomes unresponsive. You try to pause and it ignores you.

That describes the issue I have with Hulu+. I end up either getting up and unplugging the Roku from the rear to restart it or keep pressing the remote buttons until it reboots on itself. Very frustrating to the point that I have cut down on my Hulu+ watching and am using regular Hulu on a laptop hooked to the TV. Streams are not as smooth as with the Roku (low end several year old laptop) but at least I can pause, exit, change shows, etc without issue.

Will take ShawnS's ides and check out the Hulu forums and post the issue there.

Peace

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby extra_medium » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

jeffrok wrote:I have a lot of H+ problems, but I've gotten so used to them because I really like the content.. An occasional lockup or reboot is no big deal to me these days.. Not to say I LIKE the reboots/freezes, but I'm just not shocked or upset when they happen.

The content is good, but that's no excuse for the poor quality app they made for Roku. I might be as relaxed about the issue as you are if I wasn't paying a subscription fee. The new Rokus take a long time to reboot compared to the old boxes, and it's more than mildly irritating to have your Roku become unresponsive for 2 min and then have to sit through a 3 minute reboot right in the middle of a show.

It's to the point where I just use the playon channel to get Hulu content. The video quality isn't as good, but it's rock solid and I can see all the content rather than only the H+ stuff.
extra_medium

Postby jasonaut » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:00 am

We have the same problem with Hulu + and our Roku XDS. It hangs or crashes completely, requiring a restart of the Roku. Sometimes it works, but ignores remote commands and keeps the ad countdown timer on screen during whatever show we're watching. Every channel but Hulu works great. I've removed and re-added Hulu, as well as checked for Roku updates. We have the current version. I'm shocked that Hulu is as popular as it is with what seem to be so many problems with their product working at all.

I've sumbitted two trouble tickets to Hulu and eagerly awaiting their response. A non-functioning service isn't worth $8/month (plus ads!).
jasonaut

Postby Davis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:12 am

Just canceled my Hulu+ Subscription. They had a parting questionnaire and here's what I entered...

Advertising: Too small of an ad pool. SICK of seeing the same ads OVER and OVER again!

Technical Issues: Your Roku app was TOO buggy and caused frequent crashes and reboots.

Other: Some shows are "Web Only" some are not. Too many confusing restrictions.

Would NOT recommend to a friend. In fact, would advise AGAINST subscribing to Hulu+.
Davis

Postby lumberjack » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Does anyone know if this is at all hardware dependent? I have a Roku XR and have no problems elsewhere. Hulu+ takes a long time to respond to commands (pause, fast forward, etc.) during play and freezes during TV shows. I've thought about buying a new one if it has improved performance.
lumberjack

Postby DBDukes » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:21 am

lumberjack wrote:Does anyone know if this is at all hardware dependent? I have a Roku XR and have no problems elsewhere. Hulu+ takes a long time to respond to commands (pause, fast forward, etc.) during play and freezes during TV shows. I've thought about buying a new one if it has improved performance.

My experience with the Roku 1 ($79 & $99) as well as Roku 2 ($99) boxes has been that Hulu Plus acts the same on all. Also, Hulu Plus is a little wonky on Hulu Desktop for Windows on my PC, although Hulu Plus does seem to work well on Hulu Desktop for Mac (on my Mac).

So, yes, hardware may enter into it, but it's widespread across multiple hardware and platforms. That leads me to think it's not Roku, but Hulu.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby emach » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 am

I had the same problem big time! I saw on different forums how some people reinstalled the app and it then worked for them while others had to restore their Roku player to it's default settings then re-update the software and some people tried doing both. I tried both and it actually worked, that is, for a couple of days and then it started freezing up terribly again. Then I got to thinking..........It didn't start freezing up again until after I went to Hulu Plus.com on my computer and logged in. So I reinstalled the Hulu Plus app one more time and never logged back into the Hulu Plus website from my computer after that. It has been working flawlessly ever since which has been over a month now :) I have the Roku XR.
emach

Postby jminchen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 am

I have been having this same issue with Hulu Plus for a couple of months now and I am on the verge of cancelling my Hulu service. It's just not worth the money anymore. Honestly, it sounds like my problems are much worse than most of you guys. I can't watch ANYTHING on Hulu. Literally no matter what I watch or when I watch it, I get to see about 5 minutes and then it freezes.

I was watching Terra Nova for a while but gave up around episode 6 or 7 of the show, whenever those aired. That is about when this issue started up. I tried to go back here and there to watch the backlogged shows and I eventually even made it through a couple of them. Eventually I gave up. It's impossible to enjoy a television show when you watch 10 minutes, the box freezes, you restart the box and stare at the Roku logo during start up for two minutes, restart the show, watch 5 more minutes, another freeze, rinse and repeat. I never did get to watch the rest of Terra Nova.

Last week I decided to check out Alcatraz. I knew I had to watch episode one because of the limited time they stay on Hulu Plus, it was the last week the first episode would be on there. 5 minutes in, it froze. I'm pretty sure it is now off of Hulu Plus on TV so I will be unable to watch it.

This past Saturday night I decided I was going to check out The River because it looked interesting and I'd been wanting to see it. 7 or 8 minutes in, it froze.

I can't even tell you the last time I was able to watch a full episode of something on Hulu Plus, it has been at least a month. Why am I paying $8 a month for this "service" that I can't use? We recently decided to upgrade to Roku 2 boxes - partially out of the hope that it would solve this problem. They were delivered today. Good thing that wasn't the only reason we upgraded because from what I am seeing on here, it will not help.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions on here but it sounds like they are temporary band-aids. Sounds like it's time to send a nasty-gram to Hulu letting them know I'm cancelling my service if this is not fixed soon.
jminchen

Postby dwanthny » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 am

jminchen wrote:I have been having this same issue with Hulu Plus for a couple of months now and I am on the verge of cancelling my Hulu service. It's just not worth the money anymore. Honestly, it sounds like my problems are much worse than most of you guys. I can't watch ANYTHING on Hulu. Literally no matter what I watch or when I watch it, I get to see about 5 minutes and then it freezes.

I'm glad I don't have the problems with Hulu+ that you have. This channel has worked flawlessly since I got the Roku 2 XS in Dec.

jminchen wrote:I'm going to try some of the suggestions on here but it sounds like they are temporary band-aids. Sounds like it's time to send a nasty-gram to Hulu letting them know I'm cancelling my service if this is not fixed soon.

Mannyhz, the person that started this thread, reported on Jun 12 that after submitting a problem report to Hulu they were able to assist him resolve his issues.

Good Luck.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby dug_down_deep » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:25 am

I wish mannyz had told us what instructions they had actually given him/her. Although I doubt it would have fixed the problem most people are having.
dug_down_deep

Postby patchman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello all,
Thought it was just me , but i also have the same issues as many other hulu plus users are having...I have 3 rokus 2 originals and 1 new roku. All 3 will freeze after 5 to 10 minutes of streaming...Sometimes the remote functions wont work to stop or pause show....need to turn off then on again... I have this month as free but dont even use it any longer because of the constasnt freeze issue, ...Not sure if this is roku or hulu problem but it needs to get looked at..or at least acknowledge that somebodys looking into this.

Patchman
patchman

Postby dwanthny » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:32 pm

dug_down_deep wrote:I wish mannyz had told us what instructions they had actually given him/her. Although I doubt it would have fixed the problem most people are having.

Since this thread had no new posts from mid November through mid February I'm guessing that most people aren't having a problem. However you can still follow mannyz' steps, the first step being filing a report.

patchman wrote:Not sure if this is roku or hulu problem but it needs to get looked at..or at least acknowledge that somebodys looking into this.

You might also want to follow mannyz' steps and make a report of a problem. Fortunately I have had zero problems using Hulu+ on my Roku 2 XS. If there are thousands like me with no problems with Hulu+ on the Roku then possibly no one is looking into anything because no one perceives a problem. Contact Hulu, Roku or your ISP to start the troubleshooting.

Good Luck.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion