Plex Comes To Roku!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Plex Comes To Roku!

Postby jwray » Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 am

If you are experiencing issues can you post on the Plex forums, that way everything is in one place.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/for ... g-players/

thanks
Jonny
jwray

Postby zwei » Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 am

Registered with the forum …got the email with activation link. Activation link doesn't work, nor does the manual verification method mentioned later in the email. Guess I'll try again later.

I just want to know if there is indeed a plan to get the online channels working with the Roku, if not, I really don't have a use for the app. I don't think anyone has said anything about that in your forums yet (or I missed it).
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei

Postby jwray » Wed May 04, 2011 9:02 am

They should already work, or at least a large percentage of them. That's why I directed you to the other forums, so I can get some details about what's not working and how I can help fix it.

I have no knowledge of the forum registration etc., just a user, sorry, hope you can get in.

Jonny

zwei wrote:Registered with the forum …got the email with activation link. Activation link doesn't work, nor does the manual verification method mentioned later in the email. Guess I'll try again later.

I just want to know if there is indeed a plan to get the online channels working with the Roku, if not, I really don't have a use for the app. I don't think anyone has said anything about that in your forums yet (or I missed it).
jwray

Postby Heyitsrick » Wed May 04, 2011 10:15 am

jwray wrote:Channel developer here.

Shouldn't be more than a few days, mainly since I don't have a windows box to test on.

Jonny

Heheh that's a new one. It really is a brave new world...
Heyitsrick

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed May 04, 2011 12:02 pm

In case a Mac user ever wants to delete everything or re-install from scratch, here's a list of all the other crap that gets spread all over one's hard disk with Plex 0.9.2.7:

~/Library/Caches/PlexMediaServer/
~/Library/Caches/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver/
~/Library/Application Support/Growl/Tickets/Plex Media Server.growlTicket
~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/
~/Library/Application Support/Plex/
/private/var/folders/WA/WA1FKS50GPyuWWLI++IggE+++TM/-Tmp-/boost_interprocess
~/Library/Preferences/li.loos.trollin.iconXprit.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby mgfarkas » Wed May 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Just to report another users experiences, I did install the media server on my iMac. Went through the set up and added my media but plex would not show anything. A restart of the iMac did the trick and everything appeared and plays normally via the mac client. On the Roku side the channel would start but all I would see was a settings and search tab, none of my media would show. Checked that disable capability checking was set and still nothing. Power cycled the Roku and still nothing. Finally I deleted the channel then re-added it and success that everything appeared! The new problem is none of my videos will play. The box says retrieving then kicks back. This happens for content where transcoding is required and for Roku native formats although when transcoding the media server on the iMac does show one file transcoding. Tried changing the settings to lowest quality on the Roku but still won't start playing.
mgfarkas

Postby Razmataz » Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Eager to try it out! I have both XP and Windows 7 here and did not realize till after installing and configuring, that it does not yet support the Windows OS as a media host on the home network. Wish that had been more prominent in the promotion for the channel but I am definitely interested to take it for a spin once my OS's are enabled. (Just make that prominent when it's Windows-capable, please, like a big font announcement, or something?) Thanks for all the hard work on this!
Last edited by Razmataz on Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razmataz

Postby dug_down_deep » Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 pm

I installed this on my Win 7 laptop with WiDi and added the Roku channel, and of course it didn't work, as mentioned above. Then I paid to get it on my iPad and it will only stream about 1 out of every 4 channels using the plugins. I am a little bit underwhelmed at the moment, and out 5 bucks. :(
dug_down_deep

Postby grim107 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:23 pm

*Installs Plex, adds channel, customizes media manager, and reads that Windows is not yet supported :evil: *
*Smashes keyboard against the wall and screams "I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A MAC!"*

I've got some questions. What is Roku's liability for the legality of Plex's plug-ins? Would they not have any because plug-ins aren't preinstalled with the server or the channel? If Roku is held reliable, won't we just see it go the direction of PlayOn fairly quickly?

Could this be the greatest channel ever to come to the Roku?
grim107

Postby Razmataz » Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm

I see the Windows discovery is now fixed. Great to try it out now. On the down side: I am not sure if the performance issues are my lowly XP system or just the nature of the beast, but they are pretty serious in my hour's trial tonight. Videos from my PC that I have set up into a "Movies" resource will load to the channel, but if I leave Preferences at the default automatic quality, the pixilation and low res quality are prominent (distracting, not really worth watching), and if I set for higher res, the vids won't load. And at any speed, load times are tedious, minutes' long. A work in progress. If these issues get fixed, it could really be neat. Maybe others with performance PCs will have a much better experience than I did.
Razmataz

Postby tnt118 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:00 am

Razmataz wrote:I see the Windows discovery is now fixed.

Is the fix in the channel or in the server?
tnt118

Postby zwei » Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 am

tnt118 wrote:

server
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 am

zwei wrote:
tnt118 wrote:

server

Not so. The fix is in the ch see:
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top ... ery-fixed/
Gilgamesh

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri May 06, 2011 7:53 am

Of course there are still major issues in that I have yet to find a single video from my library (all of which play fine with Chaneru and Roksbox) that will play at all through this ch.

It seems that the ch may be fine for those that are Apple based but, for those of us that use windows the ch is not useful.

This appears due to the fact that the developer has no Windows access.

This is a very ambitious ch but it falls WAY short for Windows users at this time.
Gilgamesh

Postby jwray » Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am

To answer some of the recent questions:

- It was a client/channel fix (or rather work around). There will be a server fix in the future but that'll be seamless to the user.
- I now have a windows install of PMS so hopefully these windows/mac differences won't occur in the future.
- There are known issues with media playing over wireless networks with higher bit rates. You can generally lower the bit rate and they'll play but look like ass. I'm looking into it.
- There should be no differences with playing local media between Mac and Windows. Some of the plex plugins (mainly the flash based ones) may not work under the windows media server yet. This is being worked on by the server developers (not myself).
- If your local media needs to be transcoded then the initial speed of playback will depend on the power of your server machine. This server machine being underpowered can also introduces pauses etc in playback if it can't keep up. Nothing we can do about that.

Bottom line: if you're on a wired network and have media that can be direct streamed (i.e. remuxed into a HLS stream without transcoding) playback is great and starts more or less instantly. Other than that, multiple parameters enter into the picture (no pun intended) to complicate things and I'll be working to improve all of them.

As I mentioned a few messages back, the Plex forums are the better place to get support. I can only be in so many places at once.

Jonny
jwray

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion