My TV won't recognize my Roku box -- Help!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

My TV won't recognize my Roku box -- Help!

Postby chimbleysweep » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 am

I just inherited a Roku box from my parents that is around a year old. I took it to my house a few days ago, set everything up, and it was then working fine. However, after watching a couple TV episodes tonight, my television turned off suddenly and then kept turning on and off by itself. I unplugged both it and the Roku box and plugged them back in, but then it started saying that the resolution was mismatched and that I needed to change it. The only problem was that I couldn't even get to the home page on Roku - there was just a black screen! I unplugged the HDMI cable and tried it in both the HDMI1 and HDMI2 slots, but now I'm just getting nothing, not even the resolution error from my television. The Roku box is turning on, as the light is there and it flashes when I press the remote, but the TV is showing no picture. What can I do to fix this?

Edit: It works now with the component cables, but not the HDMI. I even went out and bought a new HDMI cable. Thoughts?
chimbleysweep

Re: My TV won't recognize my Roku box -- Help!

Postby microlady » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

can't help too much as I am not using the HDMI with my Roku...I just use S-Video. However, I have read in this forum some members having problems with HDMI cables. You might try a Search on HDMI in this forum and see if any problems sound similar to yours and see if there were any solutions. For now, it sounds like component is working for you... at least you can use your Roku..that's the good part.

Do try a Search in here as well as you should be getting some replies in your topic here from members who are using HDMI. I don't know if the problem is certain Roku boxes or if it has to do with the different versions of HDMI cables...but I have read of others having some problems with their HDMI connection.

Hope this idea is of some help until you find answers.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby jeffrok » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 pm

My guess is the HDMI port went bad on the Roku, or something..

Are you successfully hooking up via component, or composite?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bollywood » Fri May 27, 2011 6:29 am

can you take your roku to someone else's house where they have a HDTV? or perhaps you have another HDTV and then change/lower the resolution.

i think once you lower the resolution on roku and then bring it back to the current location, you should be fine.
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
bollywood

Postby KennyJ » Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 am

What resolutions can your tv support? 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p?

If your parents set it to 1080p and your tv doesn't support that, it might cause something like that issue.
KennyJ

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion