Why does Hulu Plus freeze on the Roku???

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Why does Hulu Plus freeze on the Roku???

Postby sleeper43 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 am

Every time I try to play a TV show from Hulu Plus... any show, it doesn't matter which one, it starts freezing up a few minutes in, then starts back up and freezes on and off all the way through the show.

The obvious answer to this is not enough bandwidth, but if thats the issue, then how come Netflix and Crackle play just fine all the way through an entire movie, even the super long ones, without any freezes at all?

Is it a buffering issue? If so, how can I make Hulu buffer enough before the playback starts to prevent freezes?

Am I the only one here with this problem?
sleeper43

Re: Why does Hulu Plus freeze on the Roku???

Postby mbratch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:24 am

I've found HuluPlus to be one of the most sluggish channels out there. But haven't seen the kind of consistent lag you're reporting.

What's your Internet connection like (bandwidth-wise)?
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby sleeper43 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:23 am

Honestly I am not sure, I know its less than 1 meg though. I live in a pretty rural area with very limited options. Faster is available from the same company I use, but I pay more for what I have now, than what others in the larger cities pay for 12 meg. My company has 10 meg but they charge nearly $300 a month for it and I simply will not knuckle under to that type of price gouging.
sleeper43

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 pm

$300?! OMG is that highway robbery or what!
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dgrider » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 pm

In my brief experience with HULU+, it does seem very glitchy.

Fortunately, i quickly realized that it is a complete waste of money since most of what i want to watch is PC only anyway...so i just dropped it.
dgrider

Postby sleeper43 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 am

Well, mostly, yes, there are a few shows though, that are not available on DVD that I would love to add to my collection on my USB external drive that Hulu has, I would record them with my DVR, then dub out the commercials and move then to DVD-RW, and then take the disk to my PC and convert to MP4 and move to my external hard drive. A couple of examples are seasons 3 and 4 of weird science and team knight rider, but if they freeze up every few minutes it just ain't gonna happen.
sleeper43

Postby SixBox » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:45 am

Hulu Plus sucks on the Roku, just get a HTPC and watch ton's of more content for free and it will actually work.
SixBox

Postby danat275 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 pm

hulu plus was always sluggish for me on roku and it kept rebooting my box everytime i watched a show or movie on it so i deleted it.i found that the problem was both the commercials and the rich graphics on the roku channel that was causing this.

when watching a tv show or movie every time they switched to a commercial break it would make my box jittery so when i try to get out of the video and go back to the main menu the video i previously watched used up alot of the box resources so when it tried to load the riich graphics the box would reboot..hulu plus needs to scale down it's channel and take away the ads during the programs and only show them at the beginning of each video to make it run smoother,as of right now roku plus is not worth the 7.99 a month..too much crashing!!!
danat275

Postby sleeper43 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:00 pm

SixBox wrote:Hulu Plus sucks on the Roku, just get a HTPC and watch ton's of more content for free and it will actually work.

HTPC????? Whats that?
sleeper43

Postby mbratch » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:14 am

sleeper43 wrote:
SixBox wrote:Hulu Plus sucks on the Roku, just get a HTPC and watch ton's of more content for free and it will actually work.

HTPC????? Whats that?

Home Theater PC.
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion