Netflix the only channel not working on my Roku XD|S [Video]

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix the only channel not working on my Roku XD|S [Video]

Postby Category9 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

For about the past month my Roku XD|S has had problems running the Netflix Channel as shown on this video I took:

Video Link

The strange thing is that only the Netflix Channel seems to be malfunctioning. If all my other channels didn't work perfectly, I would have thought my Roku was broken.
Also, this was not a problem when I first got my Roku. Everything worked just fine until about a month and a half ago.

Netflix is the main reason I decided to invest in a Roku. If I can't get it to work, then I feel like I wasted my money.
Netflix works fine on my PS3, on my browser, and on my Wii.

I wonder if there is something I'm missing. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Is this something Roku is responsible for or Netflix? I hope somebody at Roku can give me some answers. I generally like the Roku, so it is disappointing that I am having such a hard time with it.

I hope Roku has a solution to this major problem in the works. It's been quite a while since this problem began, and others seem to have it too.

I have tried:
1. using Google's Public DNS - Worked better for about half a day
2. restarting my network - Usually a temporary fix
3. restarting the Roku - No impact
4. reinstalling the channel - No impact
5. updating Roku firmware - It's updated to version 2.9 build 1553

Here's my Info if it will help matters:
1. Router Make/Model = WRT160N V3 (Linksys/Cisco)
2. Wired/Wireless = I use wired cable Internet
3. Have you done a hard or factory reset? = I have not tried a factory reset.
4. Does it only happen at a particular time/day? This happens randomly and often.
5. Downstream/Upstream Bandwidth = Ping = 262ms Download = 22.51 Mbps Upload = 0.22 Mbps
6. ISP = Time Warner Cable
7. Your Location (state will probably be sufficient) = Southern California
8. Connection type to your TV (RWY/HDMI, etc) = HDMI
9. Number of computers/devices hooked up to your network = 2 PCs, PS3
10. I have tried both wired and wireless (usually use wired)
Category9

Re: Netflix the only channel not working on my Roku XD|S [Vi

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 pm

This belongs in the Netflix Connection problems sticky at the top of the page. It may get lost down here.

By the way, your latency is huge: "Ping = 262ms ". Less than 50ms would be good.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:30 pm

kc8pql wrote:This belongs in the Netflix Connection problems sticky at the top of the page. It may get lost down here.

By the way, your latency is huge: "Ping = 262ms ". Less than 50ms would be good.

I agree that seems VERY high. I do not know why it would effect only NetFlix but internet routing is often more alchemy than science so try to figure a way to get that ping down and you might improve, or even fix, the issue.
Gilgamesh

Postby mallwalker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm

If there is a friend or relatives home, with internet access,( a test site), and you could bring your Roku there and test it, this might help determine if it is your network or the Roku.
After determining that, you can make progress without further waste of time.

2nd thought, if your "test site" is not TWC, that might help.

Open DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
mallwalker

Postby krisbee » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 am

Since you only have like five channels, you have nothing to lose to the full factory reset. I don't think it will help - I think it is something weird with your router since shutting that off usually fixes it (without doing anything to the roku).

I would see if you can optimize for video (QOS), and if you can give priority to the ethernet port (and keep using ethernet wired). Since changing DNS servers helped, try the open ones...
krisbee

Postby Mayaram » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I am having the same issue. Has someone figured this out? Any idea what's the fix? Thanks
Mayaram

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Without knowing exactly who the ping goes to it's hard to use that as a factor. If I ping cdn.netflix.com I get 17ms but when I ping Hulu I get 75 as an average. Pinging a speedtest server is likely to give even higher numbers because even though they go to the closest they always seem to take longer to respond than normal sites. Speedtest.net won't give me a ping under 90 so you can see it's a long ways from the netflix ping.

One thing to the two with the problem. Others have run into router firewall issues lately. I don't know if Netflix has changed something or if it's a problem hidden in the mystery of the internet. Try turning your router firewall off and see if it helps.

edit--

Let me add a few more thoughts also. not to be contrary to others but I usually find the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) rule works with computers as well. I don't recommend a third party DNS since Time Warner uses a complicated system that identifies you down to the neighborhood level if places like Netflix choose to ask. Also I find that QOS systems don't work well with the Roku since it uses port 80 and most routers see it as simple internet chatter. That may have changed, but you shouldn't need QOS with that speed anyway.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion