Roku Player will not start, keeps looping, rebooting

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku Player will not start, keeps looping, rebooting

Postby glen4cindy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello, I thought I would start here, since it's too late to call support tonight.

I have the original Roku Netflix player, which I have had since shortly after it was released to the general public.

I have it attached to my HDTV via an HDMI cable, and have it attached to my home network via Ethernet.

I have not used my Roku in several days, but, tonight, when I tried to use it, I noted that it would not respond to the remote.

I tried pulling the power and replacing it, and that did not help, there was no light on the front panel. I went into my stash, and got a power adapter that had the same output as the Roku adapter and the same polarity. At this point, I got a power light on the front of the Roku, and a screen on the TV saying starting, and this screen would display for several seconds, I would then get a brief flash of white on the TV screen, the power light on the Roku would blink twice quickly, and go out, and then come back on, and I would get the starting screen again, and this process just repeats over and over.

The Roku never actually fully starts up. It simply continues to "loop". I tried unplugging the HDMI, Network, Digital Audio, and power, and then replacing the power and seeing if it would boot that way, and while I could not observe the TV screen, the front panel light had the same behavior.

I then tried, with everything unplugged, tried to hold down the reset button while plugging the Roku in, and continued to hold the reset button for 10 seconds after I plugged in the power, but, the same process continues. I even attempted this same reset process with the HDMI cable attached so I could see the video output, and it was the same as above.

Has my player "given up the ghost" or is there something that I can do that I have not? Is the Roku sensitive enough to power input that it requires the exact adapter that they provide, so that my substitue isn't working well enough for the Roku to boot?

Thanks in advance.
glen4cindy

Re: Roku Player will not start, keeps looping, rebooting

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Probably a bad power supply.

You can get one from Roku quite cheap.

Roku is quite sensitive to power. I'll bet the sub supply you used is not giving Roku what it needs.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion