Stream Roku on IPad - anyone?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Stream Roku on IPad - anyone?

Postby cowpres » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:38 pm

OK, I have this new IPad2 and the Roku remote (which is GREAT, by the way). Is anyone working on a way to stream the Roku content to view the Roku on the IPad? Can this, in theory, be done? It would be SOOOOoooo neat to be able to see the output from the Roku on my IPad2. Or, am I just thinking WAY outside the box here? I was thinking maybe stream the output of the Roku to a slingbox then to the IPad that way? Hummm?
-cowpres-
cowpres

Re: Stream Roku on IPad - anyone?

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:44 pm

cowpres wrote:OK, I have this new IPad2 and the Roku remote (which is GREAT, by the way). Is anyone working on a way to stream the Roku content to view the Roku on the IPad? Can this, in theory, be done? It would be SOOOOoooo neat to be able to see the output from the Roku on my IPad2. Or, am I just thinking WAY outside the box here? I was thinking maybe stream the output of the Roku to a slingbox then to the IPad that way? Hummm?
-cowpres-

I'm sorry to ask a silly question, but why? The Roku streams from the internet. The iPad is on the internet. Therefore, everything that streams to Roku can be streamed on the ipad from the internet...
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby -LD » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Yeah. I don't understand the question. I don't think there is anything on Roku that isn't available for iPad. Netflix, Hulu, NBA, MLB, most everything else.

And with an iPad 2 and airplay mirroring to apple tv in iOS 5 there is little need for a Roku at all.
-LD

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

And with an iPad 2 and airplay mirroring to apple tv in iOS 5 there is little need for a Roku at all.

except for the math--

$499+99=$598 AppleTV and iPad 2 airplay.

$59 + $0= $59 Roku

seems a bit steep so you can get the tv.com app on your TV.........
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cowpres » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:45 am

The quick answer is 'portability'. Instead of having to sit in front of my TV, I could watch Roku content on my IPad while walking throughout the house or in another room etc. It's more of 'could' it be done, not so much 'why'. I'm a tinkerer - probably have too much time on my hands these days! HA!
-cowpres-
cowpres

Postby -LD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 am

stratcat96 wrote:

except for the math--

$499+99=$598 AppleTV and iPad 2 airplay.

$59 + $0= $59 Roku

seems a bit steep so you can get the tv.com app on your TV.........

He already owns the iPad 2 for other reasons, so the only cost is the Apple TV.
-LD

Postby -LD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:31 am

cowpres wrote:The quick answer is 'portability'. Instead of having to sit in front of my TV, I could watch Roku content on my IPad while walking throughout the house or in another room etc. It's more of 'could' it be done, not so much 'why'. I'm a tinkerer - probably have too much time on my hands these days! HA!
-cowpres-

But that is silly, because the content is already available on the iPad through Apps. Why use the Roku as a middle man when you can stream Netflix direct from Netflix to the iPad?
-LD

Postby mastermesh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:43 am

TV streamed on a phone or ipad seems silly to me. Much more of a distraction to driving than texting ever could be. It would be interesting though. Maybe try another streamer like flingbox or something? I can't say it's a bad idea though. Gizmos and Gadgets are fun. I love using the Kindle's text to speech engine as an mp3 player type of thing. I really wish the old OTA tv stations didn't lose the FM capability when the digital conversion happened. It was sort of interesting listening to tv through earphones at work.

;)
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby jclang » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:46 pm

It works well and is convenient if you just want to sit at the kitchen table, do some work on a laptop and watch TV while you're at it. I'm in IT and I need to work nights sometime...I find it a convenient 'go anywhere' option.
jclang

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion