Canceling Premium (for pay) channels

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Canceling Premium (for pay) channels

Postby donbga » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Just curious if someone can explain how to cancel a premium for pay channel.

Should I just delete the channel? Or should I contact the content provider and submit my cancelation.

Thanks,

donbga
donbga

Re: Canceling Premium (for pay) channels

Postby RokuPatrick » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:09 pm

It depends on which channel. If it's a channel that you subscribed to through the channel store with your Roku account, you can manage the subscription in the channel store. If it's one that you simply linked to a Roku channel, you'll need to probably go to the service's website to cancel -- removing the Roku channel will just remove your access to the service on Roku.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby traal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:08 am

What is the process for someone who forgot how they subscribed? Does (should?) removing the Roku channel inform the user of any extra steps that need to be taken to cancel?
traal

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 am

traal wrote:What is the process for someone who forgot how they subscribed?

Check your credit card bill to find out who is billing you for what. After determining that, then contact the biller via their web site, mail address, or telephone number (sometimes shown on your credit card bill) to find out how to cancel the subscription and discontinue the billing charges.

traal wrote:Does (should?) removing the Roku channel inform the user of any extra steps that need to be taken to cancel?

No.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby destruk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:37 pm

If you subscribed through PayPal, you can log into your paypal account and manage your subscriptions there.
destruk

Postby traal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Wow, all of that is going to make the "how to cancel a channel" flowchart pretty complicated! So it seems Roku isn't as easy to use at it first appears.

Could any improvements be made to simplify the process?
traal

Postby TheEndless » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:44 pm

traal wrote:Wow, all of that is going to make the "how to cancel a channel" flowchart pretty complicated! So it seems Roku isn't as easy to use at it first appears.

If the channel owner uses the Roku payment system, then it's very straightforward to manage. If the channel owner chooses to use their own payment system, then you're at the mercy of the channel owner. There's nothing Roku can do about that, really, short of "pulling an Apple" and making all channel owners use their payment system.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby traal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 pm

TheEndless wrote:If the channel owner uses the Roku payment system, then it's very straightforward to manage. If the channel owner chooses to use their own payment system, then you're at the mercy of the channel owner. There's nothing Roku can do about that, really, short of "pulling an Apple" and making all channel owners use their payment system.

Why can't the Roku box check to see whether the channel owner uses the Roku payment system, and if not, notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service?
traal

Postby destruk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Because that is handled by most third party payment systems when you sign up and read their own unique terms of service?
destruk

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:50 pm

traal wrote:Why can't the Roku box check to see whether the channel owner uses the Roku payment system, and if not, notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service?

some of the premium channels also have web content/access that you are paying for with that service. say you have a sports channel and you decide to stop using your roku for that and set it up in the kids' room so they can watch netflix - so you delete the sports channel from the box. but you still want access to the online content from the sports channel. having it automatically close your account from the roku would be really annoying.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby traal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:53 am

destruk wrote:Because that is handled by most third party payment systems when you sign up and read their own unique terms of service?

That doesn't explain why the Roku can't notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service.

catastrophegirl wrote:say you have a sports channel and you decide to stop using your roku for that and set it up in the kids' room so they can watch netflix - so you delete the sports channel from the box. but you still want access to the online content from the sports channel. having it automatically close your account from the roku would be really annoying.

I agree. But why can't the Roku just notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service?
traal

Postby Brotha » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 am

traal wrote:Wow, all of that is going to make the "how to cancel a channel" flowchart pretty complicated! So it seems Roku isn't as easy to use at it first appears.

yes:

pay attention to how you spend your money & don't blame roku because you can't keep track of your finances. :roll:
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.
Brotha

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:02 am

traal wrote:
destruk wrote:Because that is handled by most third party payment systems when you sign up and read their own unique terms of service?

That doesn't explain why the Roku can't notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service.

catastrophegirl wrote:say you have a sports channel and you decide to stop using your roku for that and set it up in the kids' room so they can watch netflix - so you delete the sports channel from the box. but you still want access to the online content from the sports channel. having it automatically close your account from the roku would be really annoying.

I agree. But why can't the Roku just notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service?

I'm sure Roku can, and if I had to hazard a guess, it probably doesn't because nobody thought it would be necessary. But go ahead and suggest it. Just don't think of it as something Roku owes you, because it seems pretty clear to me and other users that removing a channel from your lineup doesn't cancel your subscription, for all kinds of reasons.

Personally, I'd find it annoying to have a popup when I removed a channel. But it would be pretty minor.
SuetyStanes

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:05 am

traal wrote:I agree. But why can't the Roku just notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service?

The Roku has no way of knowing whether the channel has an associate fee or not. Imagine the number of support calls there would be if removing every channel informed the user that they may still be charged by the service provider.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby catastrophegirl » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am

traal wrote:I agree. But why can't the Roku just notify the user that removing the channel won't cancel the service?

sorry, i meant to quote/respond to your comment "Could any improvements be made to simplify the process?" and was trying to convey that simplifying it might cause more problems for channels that have more than one streaming venue.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion