Can't use the Channel store.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't use the Channel store.

Postby bmn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 pm

If I try to add or remove channels in the channel store I get the message "Operation not supported at this time".

If I return to the home screen. I can no longer get back into the Channel Store. I get a network error even though my network connection is fine and all the channels I already have work.

The only way to get back into the channel store is to power cycle the roku box and then enter the channel store. But once I get in I can't do anything useful.

This is a brand new roku XDS box which I received and set up yesterday. It worked fine yesterday.
Last edited by bmn on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmn

Re: Can't use the Channel store.

Postby bmn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:22 pm

I talked with support. They made me just hit ok repeatedly to keep trying to enter the channel store. After dozens of tries that eventually worked and I added one channel. As soon as I hung up with support and tried to add a second channel the errors came back.

Are the roku servers so slow and overloaded that I can only perform these operations 1 in 30 tries?
bmn

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Are you wired or wireless?

Post your setup details.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mastermesh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I've had that a few times before. Usually just give it a few minutes and it is ok and starts working again. I think it has to do with the roku and the online database roku has on their website needing a little bit of time to update one another or something and getting confused when they talk to one another and see differences but have not updated the database yet to figure out what those differences are. It also seems to happen if you get close to filling up the number of channels you can have at one time, which I'm guessing has to do with the roku's memory not being able to handle the number of channels you are throwing at it. I think it's just fluky database glitches, but there might be more to it?
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby bmn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:Are you wired or wireless?

Post your setup details.

C. Shawn Smith

It's a wired setup. I didn't trust wireless to be reliable.

The Roku XD|S box is plugged into my router and the router is plugged into my Comcast cable modem.

Aside from the Roku Channel Store operations not working, the connection is great. I have no problem with any streaming channels aside from Ted. Any other computers on my network work perfectly too.
bmn

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Try bypassing the router and using only the modem temporarily. Something in the router could be blocking the Roku.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby bmn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Another weird note. If I'm persistent and keep trying to add a channel until it is eventually added, I can leave the channel store and come back to it. But if I give up and leave, I get a network error whenever I try to return to the Channel store

RokuShawnS wrote:Try bypassing the router and using only the modem temporarily. Something in the router could be blocking the Roku.

That seems to be working. Why though? Is there something unique or exotic about the Channel Store traffic? Does it work better if I open up access to some port?
bmn

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Check your router settings for QoS and try disabling it. I had a suspicion this might be what's causing the issue.

Whenever you go through two devices to access the internet, the settings on the middle connection (in this case, the router) can disable some functions on certain devices. Going directly through the modem can identify the problem and isolate it to the router.

If the QoS setting doesn't work, there may be a couple of other settings we can try, but I need to research it a bit more. Some of the regular forum users may be able to post those other settings faster than I can :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby pianotech » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:59 am

I'm having the exact same problem. Channels won't add, and then I get a network error when trying to get back into the Channel Store. Then next time, it will work fine. Wireless connection signal strength is excellent and all streaming works great. The only problem is with the Channel Store. I'm thinking it has to be something to do with Roku's channel store server if everything else is working good. Very frustrating.
pianotech

Postby pianotech » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:50 am

Chatted with a rep who said Roku is aware of the problem with channels and channel store timing out, and should be resolved with an update that's coming soon.
pianotech

Postby jeffcarp » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:45 am

Add me to the chorus of people not able to access the Channel Store or once I am there, not being able to add a channel. I can stream existing channels fine. My network stats look good. Other streaming services to xBox and PlayOnTV are fine too. Despite this, chat support's solution was to want to change my DNS in my route. Thanks but no thanks. I had to point them to this thread while in chat after looking here while chatting.

I assume this is their problem.
jeffcarp

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 am

my and many others' channel store access works without issue, and that fact supports the idea that a DNS change will clear the problem. Changing DNS will cause your Roku to seek out different CDNs for content. The CDN your Roku is attempting to contact to get the channel store most likely is not optimal
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby pianotech » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:32 am

stratcat96 wrote:my and many others' channel store access works without issue, and that fact supports the idea that a DNS change will clear the problem. Changing DNS will cause your Roku to seek out different CDNs for content. The CDN your Roku is attempting to contact to get the channel store most likely is not optimal

Well, I'll give it a try. Doesn't hurt! Right now, my router uses Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I'll change it back to Comcast's and see what happens.
pianotech

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:36 am

pianotech wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:my and many others' channel store access works without issue, and that fact supports the idea that a DNS change will clear the problem. Changing DNS will cause your Roku to seek out different CDNs for content. The CDN your Roku is attempting to contact to get the channel store most likely is not optimal

Well, I'll give it a try. Doesn't hurt! Right now, my router uses Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I'll change it back to Comcast's and see what happens.

always worth a shot!
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby pianotech » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 am

stratcat96 wrote:
pianotech wrote:

always worth a shot!

Hey Stratcat, THANK YOU! Everyone else, take note, there is merit in changing the DNS server. I switched my router from Google's DNS back to Comcast's, and END OF PROBLEM. Channel Store is now quick, and adding channels no problem at all.

Strat, what do you suppose the issue is? Google's DNS does a lot of caching from many different locations. Anyway, thanks!
pianotech

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion