Should I Buy a Roku2 - Just Last Week I Bought an XDS

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Should I Buy a Roku2 - Just Last Week I Bought an XDS

Postby jp7794 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 am

Last week I bought a Roku XDS and dual band router from Amazon. I did a lot of research on what to buy (Apple TV, WD, etc.) and came to the conclusion that the Roku was the best choice. What I didn't do was check for any upcoming models. :( I now have it set up on an independent 5GHz network right next to the router and have had very few problems. Netflix works well (so far) and besides bad video quality on Justin TV (which is normal on any device), I really like what I have.

Me dilemma is should I return it for a Roku 2? Even though I specifically upgraded my network (needed to go to 802.11n anyway), I can go Ethernet as my router will be right next to the Roku. That defeated my purpose of going dual band but I am sure another gadget will come along that I can dedicate that to. I have an XBOX 360 sitting right next to it so gaming (Angry Birds) is not an issue unless something spectacular is released in the future.

Does anyone know exactly what improvements were made with the Roku2 from a functionality and/or stability standpoint? I know it has a smaller form factor, but does that mean that any issues (Netflix) or performance improvements were made? Is the GUI the same? From some of you vets, do you foresee there being an issue with legacy software updates or technical support?

I also read where Amazon is reluctant on taking back electronics. I have never tried to return something electronic to them, but I have purchased hundreds of items there (Amazon Prime is an evil thing :evil: ) and have never had a problem with a return. Has anyone experienced problems with returning electronics. My 30th day to return it is 8/16, so I have some time to decide.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long original post. I am sure there are others in the same predicament.

Thank you in advance for your advice and opinions.
Last edited by jp7794 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roku XDS
NETGEAR WNDR3400 Router (wireless N; 5Ghz channel dedicated to Roku)
TV: Westinghouse TX-42F430S 1080P on HDMI cable
jp7794

Re: Should I Buy a Roku2 - Just Last Week I Bought an XDS

Postby ThatSteveGuy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 am

Yeah, I'm in that same boat. The Roku has worked great for me streaming Netflix HD videos over wifi, but I hate that I just bought a device three weeks ago that's outdated now.

Does anyone know if there are any features along the lines of Netflix HD with Dolby Surround that will require the Roku2? I'm not really concerned about gaming, just additional streaming service options or improved quality.
ThatSteveGuy

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am

If you just bought them, you can return them under the 30 day policy.

Honestly, the new units don't offer a LOT of new features, unless you're looking for something very specific.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jwbowers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

It appears that there are a lot of us in this boat. I was just looking at the photos of the top-of-the-line Roku2 XS and noticed that the new unit is inferior to its predecessor (i.e the Roku XD|S) in terms of connectivity:

1. no optical digital audio output; and
2. no component video output

With respect to #1 above, if you want to route the digital audio signal through your home theater receiver, then the only way to do it is via HDMI. If your a/v receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, then you'll have no way to capture digital audio form the Roku2, unless you buy a new a/v receiver. Further, if your receiver has an HDMI input that can capture the digital audio from the Roku2, but doesn't have an HDMI output to pass the video signal through to your TV, then you'll have no way to get a 1080p signal to your TV. Depending on what type of video output/switching your current a/v receiver supports (if at all), the worst case scenario is that you may have to send a composite video signal (i.e. 480i) from the Roku2 to your TV. That's simply not acceptable in this day and age. In summary, many Roku2 users will either have to upgrade their a/v receiver to one that supports HDMI audio and video switching, or choose between a set up that has either digital audio (i.e. surround sound) or HD video, but not both. The decision by Roku to exclude a digital audio out on the new Roku2 is, in my opinion, short sighted, at best.

With respect to #2 above, if your TV doesn't have HDMI inputs, then there is no way whatsoever to get an HD video signal to your TV form the Roku2. Your only option will be to send a composite video signal (i.e. 480i) from the Roku2 to you TV. That's simply doesn't fly in this day and age. There are a lot of home theater TVs in use today that only have component video connectivity as an option for HD video signals. All of those TVs will instantly be rendered obsolete by Roku's decision not to include component video output on the new Roku2 series boxes. Such a decision by Roku is, in my opinion, way beyond short sighted.

In summary, I'm not disappointed because I just bought two (2) of the older Roku XD|S series boxes. Rather, I'm ecstatic because they offer far greater flexibility in terms of connectivity/compatibility with my existing home theaters systems. Had I waited for the new Roku2, I would've been very disappointed because they're not fully compatible with my existing gear. In other words, if I were entering the market today, I wouldn't buy a Roku2. I'd be looking at other alternatives. Mine is clearly a case where having the newest and supposed "best" incarnation of a product is NOT necessarily a good thing. I know there will be those who disagree, but I learned a long time ago that chasing the latest and greatest technology (whether it be computers, cell phones and/or home theater gear) gets old and is, for the most part, a total waste of money. I personally believe its better to be a step or two behind the curve. At a minimum, you'll have more $ in your pocket.
jwbowers

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:56 am

With respect to #2 above, if your TV doesn't have HDMI inputs, then there is no way whatsoever to get an HD video signal to your TV form the Roku2. Your only option will be to send a composite video signal (i.e. 480i) from the Roku2 to you TV. That's simply doesn't fly in this day and age.

I don't think the lack of component is because of a Roku omission... I remember reading something about CE electronics being mandated to abandon that analog connection in favor of HDCP-enabled HDMI... I know they've really done a number on it with BD players, and even tech on BD discs that make their signal unplayable over component connections
stratcat96

Postby scyber » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
With respect to #2 above, if your TV doesn't have HDMI inputs, then there is no way whatsoever to get an HD video signal to your TV form the Roku2. Your only option will be to send a composite video signal (i.e. 480i) from the Roku2 to you TV. That's simply doesn't fly in this day and age.

I don't think the lack of component is because of a Roku omission... I remember reading something about CE electronics being mandated to abandon that analog connection in favor of HDCP-enabled HDMI... I know they've really done a number on it with BD players, and even tech on BD discs that make their signal unplayable over component connections

The Analog Sunset is specific to bluray players and does not impact other CE products. Well technically it applies to any product that uses AACS drm, but right now that is only bluray IIRC.
scyber

Postby jwbowers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

stratcat96 wrote:

You may very well be right. Nonetheless, such a mandate would serve to force consumers to upgrade their TVs in the face of becoming obsolete, which I would guess is their intent. If they were looking to truly rid the market of functional obsolescence, then CE would mandate that composite video connections be abandoned, since they're not capable of carrying HD video signals, which makes them truly obsolete. Yet, the Roku2 has composite video.
jwbowers

Postby SixBox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Until some good reviews come out and/or if you want the game function, I would say there isn't much need to get the latest and greatest.

I still have a Roku N1000, which has some features that were omitted on the XD-S and Roku 2 XS that many seem to be complaining about.

One thing that I wished Roku added was a QWERTY keyboard on the flipside of the remote, but it did not happen.
SixBox

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:23 pm

SixBox wrote:
One thing that I wished Roku added was a QWERTY keyboard on the flipside of the remote, but it did not happen.

...all that has to do with meeting the price point...hard to do on a 99 buck box...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby SixBox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 pm

kc8pql wrote:
SixBox wrote:

...all that has to do with meeting the price point...hard to do on a 99 buck box...

QWERTY would not have added too much cost, when you consider the new hardware they added for the Bluetooth, Motion Controller and etc. Would have increased the size though.
SixBox

Postby phoenix42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 am

I've never had a problem returning things to Amazon, including a used coffee maker, which was returned because it didn't make the coffee hot enough. Unfortunetly the big box of filters I bought with it were considered a grocery item and therefore non-returnable, but were listed an been non-returnable. Anyone want 500 #4 coffee filters for cheap??? :D
Which reminds me, I've got to return some suntan lotion (accidently bought the scented) and ballet shoes (too small), the free Amazon Prime we got though Amazon Mom is evil marketing genius!
phoenix42

Postby mbratch » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 am

For me, it's not about whether I can play Angry Birds, or whether the unit is smaller/rounder or more cool looking. It's about video access. All I've seen so far since I bought my Roku XD|S is a decrease in access to videos, or poor quality applications for access. If you take Netflix and HuluPlus as the top movie/TV access channels, these seem to be the buggiest applications that are on the box. Netflix is tolerable (most of the time you click away an error box and it still seems to work fine). HuluPlus freqently becomes extremely sluggish and won't respond to remote control. Roku lost their access to Youtube. TED channel doesn't carry the latest videos (Feb 2011 are the latest), and the news channels are a faint shadow of what's available on their websites.

So IMHO you aren't missing much by not having the Roku 2, unless they've resolved some of the above core issues. Don't get me wrong, I think the guys at Roku are smart and hard working. The product concept and execution is great. Most of the issues are probably not under their control.
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby Razmataz » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:19 pm

jwbowers wrote:It appears that there are a lot of us in this boat. I was just looking at the photos of the top-of-the-line Roku2 XS and noticed that the new unit is inferior to its predecessor (i.e the Roku XD|S) in terms of connectivity:

1. no optical digital audio output; and
2. no component video output

. . . .

Excellent writeup. Thanks for posting that.

Roku went downscale with this product release. I would like to have seen them go upscale (which I realize would push price point upscale, too). I hope they do develop a higher-end line, as well. Otherwise, my expectation is that they'll find considerable competition in some of the atom-processor type HTPC products that offer more flexibility, and are still in a relatively low power consumption and low budget area.
Last edited by Razmataz on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razmataz

Postby mastermesh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:29 pm

I was thinking I was in the same boat, but yep, that lack of component out leaves my setup out in the dust, so I'm glad I got the first version. Actually component out is the only reason I went with roku instead of boxee. Looks like roku's going same direction as boxee... probably a good thing since the hdmi out only will let them talk more providers in to the system since component out keeps them from blocking your ability to dvr or use vcr to record if you wanted to do that... but for us folks with older tvs it's a huge let down.

I suspect that a very large portion of the population still has tvs with component ports only. The National Digital TV Tuner box coupon program allowed that to happen... and most economically budgeted tvs with atsc tuners that were coming out when that was going on (like the one I ended up buying) don't have an hdmi input (even though it does have s-video port and I think it might even have a dolby digital port)...
Last edited by mastermesh on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby jp7794 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:32 pm

mbratch wrote:For me, it's not about whether I can play Angry Birds, or whether the unit is smaller/rounder or more cool looking. It's about video access. All I've seen so far since I bought my Roku XD|S is a decrease in access to videos, or poor quality applications for access. If you take Netflix and HuluPlus as the top movie/TV access channels, these seem to be the buggiest applications that are on the box. Netflix is tolerable (most of the time you click away an error box and it still seems to work fine). HuluPlus freqently becomes extremely sluggish and won't respond to remote control. Roku lost their access to Youtube. TED channel doesn't carry the latest videos (Feb 2011 are the latest), and the news channels are a faint shadow of what's available on their websites.

So IMHO you aren't missing much by not having the Roku 2, unless they've resolved some of the above core issues. Don't get me wrong, I think the guys at Roku are smart and hard working. The product concept and execution is great. Most of the issues are probably not under their control.

I agree 100%. Hopefully before my 30 days run out I will find out what has been updated internally. If performance is improved I will probably go on and upgrade, but if the two were identical on the inside I would go with the XDS.
Roku XDS
NETGEAR WNDR3400 Router (wireless N; 5Ghz channel dedicated to Roku)
TV: Westinghouse TX-42F430S 1080P on HDMI cable
jp7794

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion