ROKU 2 not working with playon

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby transammatt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

So i just got my roku 2 today setup was easy. I had a roku one for about a year playon worked pretty good on it.
But it will not play the video on the roku2 any help would be great?
Playon and roku could not help me on this one so i hooked back up my old roku and playon works great again?

The error reads "video request failure an unexpected problem(but not server timeout or HTTP error)has been detected?
I tryed all the easy stuff restarted the roku installed playon again on my computer so on.
Thanks Matt
transammatt
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm

your better off asking on the PO forums because that is not a supported (or even endorsed) product. As for it not working, I don't think Roku is too broken up about it since they're not too happy about it even existing
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby transammatt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Thank you I did put a post on the playon forum.
Just suck because it works on my roku1.
thanks Matt
transammatt
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby texashildy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:04 am

:lol:
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
texashildy
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:17 am

stratcat96 wrote:your better off asking on the PO forums because that is not a supported (or even endorsed) product. As for it not working, I don't think Roku is too broken up about it since they're not too happy about it even existing

Roku needs to partner with another company to offer (an optional) local streaming add-on to the Roku devices. It would be easily done by adding an official app to the Roku that works in conjunction with paid/free software on the computer. It doesn't have to play net streams off the computer like PlayOn does, it just has to support playing the same files that the USB Channel supports, just streamed from a local computer. And if the computer software cost money, Roku could promote it and take an affiliate commission from all generated sales.

It would be a win-win-win situation. Win for Roku. Win for the third-party software developer. Win for us customers that are willing to pay extra for a "supported" local streaming option.
Skolvikings
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby seahorsejl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:35 am

Check out Plex (www.plexapp.com).

There is a beta Roku Plex channel. See the installation instructions: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26421-installation/
seahorsejl
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Central TX

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby rlramirez77 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:48 am

seahorsejl wrote:Check out Plex (http://www.plexapp.com).

There is a beta Roku Plex channel. See the installation instructions: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26421-installation/


Having a channel that works with a quality media manager is a good thing. However, one of the reasons PlayOn gained users on Roku was to solve an issue the marketplace (we) wanted solved - being able to play Flash based content like Hulu or live TV streams. Plex might turn out to be just the thing for Roku users, but so far the online content is limited and several of the "channels" are already on Roku. Time will tell.
Roku XD, Roku XS, PlayOn, Windows Media Center, Boxee, iPhone remotes, 12 Mbps Charter
rlramirez77
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 am

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby scyber » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:57 am

seahorsejl wrote:Check out Plex (http://www.plexapp.com).

There is a beta Roku Plex channel. See the installation instructions: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26421-installation/



Plex is also broken on the roku. Its likely the same issue is impacting both.
scyber
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 am

rlramirez77 wrote: However, one of the reasons PlayOn gained users on Roku was to solve an issue the marketplace (we) wanted solved - being able to play Flash based content like Hulu or live TV streams.

...which is exactly the reason Roku doesn't support Playon and took the private channel down. Roku isn't going to actively participate in violating content owner's copyrights.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8022
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:05 am

kc8pql wrote:...which is exactly the reason Roku doesn't support Playon and took the private channel down. Roku isn't going to actively participate in violating content owner's copyrights.

I personally just want to be able to stream local content... i.e. the USB Channel with the ability to stream from a local computer, rather than having to transfer videos with a USB drive.
Skolvikings
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 am

Skolvikings wrote:
kc8pql wrote:...which is exactly the reason Roku doesn't support Playon and took the private channel down. Roku isn't going to actively participate in violating content owner's copyrights.

I personally just want to be able to stream local content... i.e. the USB Channel with the ability to stream from a local computer, rather than having to transfer videos with a USB drive.

..and I think that would be a good feature if the hardware could support it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8022
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby SuetyStanes » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 am

Skolvikings wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:your better off asking on the PO forums because that is not a supported (or even endorsed) product. As for it not working, I don't think Roku is too broken up about it since they're not too happy about it even existing

Roku needs to partner with another company to offer (an optional) local streaming add-on to the Roku devices. It would be easily done by adding an official app to the Roku that works in conjunction with paid/free software on the computer. It doesn't have to play net streams off the computer like PlayOn does, it just has to support playing the same files that the USB Channel supports, just streamed from a local computer. And if the computer software cost money, Roku could promote it and take an affiliate commission from all generated sales.

It would be a win-win-win situation. Win for Roku. Win for the third-party software developer. Win for us customers that are willing to pay extra for a "supported" local streaming option.


There are actually a number of channels that exist for what you're looking for. As just one example, I know that Roku 2 users have reported on these forums that Roksbox still works with the new hardware/firmware.
SuetyStanes
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 am

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby rlramirez77 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:14 am

kc8pql wrote:
rlramirez77 wrote: However, one of the reasons PlayOn gained users on Roku was to solve an issue the marketplace (we) wanted solved - being able to play Flash based content like Hulu or live TV streams.

...which is exactly the reason Roku doesn't support Playon and took the private channel down. Roku isn't going to actively participate in violating content owner's copyrights.


It was not my intent to defend PlayOn per se, but many of us want to be able to see shows on a Roku that we can see using a web browser. I don't want/need a copy of it, but the content can already be on Hulu as well as on the network web site, like USA Network for example. Live TV streaming will come as television "as an application" takes off. Laws governing content distribution have a purpose, but some of them are silly from a practical point of view.

Russ
Roku XD, Roku XS, PlayOn, Windows Media Center, Boxee, iPhone remotes, 12 Mbps Charter
rlramirez77
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 am

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 am

It was not my intent to defend PlayOn per se, but many of us want to be able to see shows on a Roku that we can see using a web browser.


well all want to see everything we can with Roku on our TV BUT Roku the company can't be expected to participate in the willful violation (and profiting of) TOS and copyright infringement buy supporting and endorsing such a service. What PlayOn is doing as a company is shady, and companies that want to stay in the good graces of content providers so that they might bring their content legally to their platform have to walk that line. If they throw in with a company like PO, it blows any possible relationships out of the water. Then pretty soon you'll have to use PO for everything because no one wants to waste their time offering their content to Roku.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: ROKU 2 not working with playon

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 am

kc8pql wrote:..and I think that would be a good feature if the hardware could support it.

Of course the hardware supports it. The Roku is a streaming device. Why should it matter if the content is streamed from the Internet or streamed from the computer. It just requires an app to browse and play the streams. The only thing that's needed is software on a local computer (similar to how AppleTV uses iTunes) to stream the video to the Roku. In fact, we all know there are "unofficial" ways to stream local content to the Roku. It's not a hardware issue. It's a feature issue.

SuetyStanes wrote:There are actually a number of channels that exist for what you're looking for. As just one example, I know that Roku 2 users have reported on these forums that Roksbox still works with the new hardware/firmware.

I'm looking for something more official. Something that Roku promotes and is a channel listed in the Channel Store. I realize there are "unofficial" solutions available, but they are not elegant to the end-user. Again, I'm thinking of something along the lines of AirPlay between iTunes and an AppleTV device.

Now I don't expect Roku to develop software like iTunes. That's where an official third-party partnership would come into play. They just need to team up with some other software developer to provide an extra option to those willing to pay for it.

Doing so would certainly negate one of AppleTV's strongest selling points versus the Roku. A simple, inexpensive Netflix streaming device that also allows you to stream movies from your computer. How novel. :wink:
Skolvikings
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mikebdoss and 30 guests