Will the Roku ever offer a College Sports channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Will the Roku ever offer a College Sports channel?

Postby yragha » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:36 pm

In your opinion.

I would pay for a college football season package similar to MLB & MLS.

Thoughts?
yragha

Re: Will the Roku ever offer a College Sports channel?

Postby nushmut » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:55 pm

It would ultimately be up to the NCAA to authorize and create a channel, just as with the MLB and MLS channels. Considering how much the organization is tied up with major cable outfits (ESPN, FSN, Comcast/NBC Sports), I doubt such a service would happen anytime soon. An ESPN3 channel would be great to see, as it would bring in a significant portion of these games, but since you generally need to have pay-TV service to be eligible for ESPN3 (aside from Verizon FiOS, I believe), it's kind of a moot situation for cable cutters. Would it be great to have a subscription service that brings in all of those cable games, regardless of broadcaster (and OTA games too, secondarily)? Absolutely. Do I see the NCAA doing it anytime soon? Absolutely not. It really is a shame that big media is so slow to react to the changing face of consumption, but it shouldn't be surprising to many.

It's worth noting, if you're a college basketball fan at all, that all of the NCAA Tournament games on MMOD were available in NowhereTV this past March. Hopefully RokuChris can make that happen again next year; it was great to have!
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:56 pm

I think as long as the sports are selling for so much to the networks and cable that the odds are low. In time people will get more online content, but it may take our lifetime to enact the changes.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby haroldskilley » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 pm

The only college sports currently on Roku is through the BYUtv channel. Those are BYU football and basketball matchups.
haroldskilley

Postby scyber » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 am

ESPN3 is probably the most likely candidate for a college football channel on the roku. They are already on the XBox, so its not like they are completely opposed to stbs displaying their content. But with MS, there could have been alot of money involved that Roku doesn't have.
scyber

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 am

I really think that we will see an ESPN 3 ch at some point within the next year or so and there could be some individual institutions that will produce chs that will have the lesser sports as the NCAA does not restrict the distribution of sports like soccer, baseball, gymnastics, volleyball, field hockey, lacrosse, and the other second tier sports as much as they do football and basketball.

Universities and colleges around the country already have many of their games for these lesser sports available on line and archived for viewing on the web and, being learning institutions they probably have sufficient trained and semi-trained people available to create chs for the Roku for their school.

I am too far out of school to have any contacts left into even the University I attended but there are others that have a bit more influence with their school and it might be a good thing if they would contact their schools and try to explain the advantages.

Also some of the conferences might be willing and able to put together a ch for their conference.

Like I said the NCAA and the other nation wide college affiliations would probably not be interested in doing this for the top sports. But the conferences and institutions may be able to be shown that the extra exposure they would get by having a ch about their school or conference that included the lesser sports would be a good thing, and it would also help in recruitment in general and for those sports shown.
Gilgamesh

Postby mattdreed » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:41 am

New roku2 owner here. Less than 24 hours with it and loving it. That being said...

According to http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/SmartTV.aspx for those who are looking for SEC sports, it seems like Roku will at least get some of the games this year. Not sure about other conferences.
--MATT
mattdreed

Postby DeftOne » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:42 am

mattdreed wrote:New roku2 owner here. Less than 24 hours with it and loving it. That being said...

According to http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/SmartTV.aspx for those who are looking for SEC sports, it seems like Roku will at least get some of the games this year. Not sure about other conferences.
--MATT

Thanks for the link, Matt. That's very interesting. Hopefully it's the start of a trend. :)
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 am

Do the teams themselves retain rights to their own games? I seem to recall that they can offer deals with radio stations and such is why I ask.

If that's the case a person may have more luck contacting their team about it's games.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Do the teams themselves retain rights to their own games? I seem to recall that they can offer deals with radio stations and such is why I ask.

If that's the case a person may have more luck contacting their team about it's games.

College sports is one of the most complicated rights issues that exist!

The NCAA has full rights to some games and partial rights to some others and little or no rights to still others. The same can be said for the conferences and the individual schools.

Exactly what the rights situation for each game, or match, or event is can be found by sifting through 100s of pages of text and contacting the involved parties.

The lesser sports are much easier to ferret out and you can usually find that info by contacting the media relations dept of the schools or conferences involved. Contacting the NCAA, or other national amalgam of schools, is usually a frustrating experience as that bureaucracy is more intransigent than even most state governments. I recommend contacting the schools first and then, if needed, working your way up the food chain so you find the answer quickest and get the most accurate info. Be sure to go through the media relation dept. as they are most likely to be of help but the athletic dept. administers the rights at many schools.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion