Upgrade Program?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Upgrade Program?

Postby Frostman007 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 am

It would be great if Roku implemented a trade-up program of sorts to encourage people to upgrade to the latest version of the hardware. Forking out another $80-100 for another box, when my original one works fine, isn't practical for me, but being able to send in my old box (along with an upgrade fee) would certainly be awesome. Roku could then turnaround, inspect the old boxes, and sell them refurbished as a secondary business. I know that I would pretty much upgrade every time a new box came out and I would expect a lot of others would to if there was such an upgrade system in place. Just my two cents.
- Stephen Frost
Frostman007

Re: Upgrade Program?

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am

Frostman007 wrote:It would be great if Roku implemented a trade-up program of sorts to encourage people to upgrade to the latest version of the hardware. Forking out another $80-100 for another box, when my original one works fine, isn't practical for me, but being able to send in my old box (along with an upgrade fee) would certainly be awesome. Roku could then turnaround, inspect the old boxes, and sell them refurbished as a secondary business. I know that I would pretty much upgrade every time a new box came out and I would expect a lot of others would to if there was such an upgrade system in place. Just my two cents.

Do any other companies (outside of phone retailers) do this?
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 am

At the current pricing that is very unlikely to happen.

Almost no non-subscription based device allows that kind of upgrade. While cell phones and some subscription TV services do have an upgrade program like you want a company that does not get their income from subscriptions would be foolish to allow it and Roku is not foolish.

Roku makes its money by selling boxes and they get little in continuing fees so they would gain nothing by offering reduced prices any more than a TV manufacturing company would. Panasonic will not upgrade my TV for a reduced price so why would anyone expect Roku to loose money by doing that.
Gilgamesh

Postby Frostman007 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I guess my point is that I don't have any real reason to upgrade until my box breaks so Roku is not getting any money from me on a consistent basis. However, if there was an upgrade program, I would be upgrading all the time and that would be supplying Roku with additional money that they would not normally get from me. And I do think they could take these used boxed, implement an inspection and refurbish program and then sell them to other folks who also might not normally pick up one of the units at a normal price.

I guess what would prevent this from working in Roku's benefit is in the profit margins for the hardware were really, really low already.
- Stephen Frost
Frostman007

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Frostman007 wrote:I guess my point is that I don't have any real reason to upgrade until my box breaks so Roku is not getting any money from me on a consistent basis. However, if there was an upgrade program, I would be upgrading all the time and that would be supplying Roku with additional money that they would not normally get from me. And I do think they could take these used boxed, implement an inspection and refurbish program and then sell them to other folks who also might not normally pick up one of the units at a normal price.

I guess what would prevent this from working in Roku's benefit is in the profit margins for the hardware were really, really low already.

That, and they might get back a thousand non-working boxes, and be out all that money.

If you're happy with your Roku1, keep it. If you NEED a feature on the new Rokus, get one and sell your old one. Everyone wins.
mikebdoss

Postby jeffrok » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Frostman007 wrote:I guess my point is that I don't have any real reason to upgrade until my box breaks so Roku is not getting any money from me on a consistent basis. However, if there was an upgrade program, I would be upgrading all the time and that would be supplying Roku with additional money that they would not normally get from me. And I do think they could take these used boxed, implement an inspection and refurbish program and then sell them to other folks who also might not normally pick up one of the units at a normal price.

So Roku sells you a $79 Roku for $49 (with your tradein), sells the old Roku for $30.. You got a Roku for $49, they had to sell your Roku (more labor), and ended up only making at most, the same as if you just paid the original $79. They would have to set up a refurbishing department for these older units, and that would cost them bucks.. It just wouldn't work for them, for such a low-priced item.

Nobody offered a trade-in program for going from VHS to DVD, or DVD to Blu-ray, or CRT to LCD.. It's just not a good idea.

Here's just a thought.. Seeing as how the original firmware is still going to receive updates and still work just like the Roku 2 does, don't upgrade unless you add another box to your house's TV's. I'd wait for Roku3 before making the jump if you're happy with "Roku1", unless you need the gaming. That way you spend NO money.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby mommom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm pretty sure Roku has some sort of deal in place to make some amount of money from some of the channels,like in the "Spotlight" area,so Roku is making more money from you, :D
mommom

Postby hozedhead » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm

This has been covered elsewhere, new users should read through the threads before posting. This forum has gone to the dogs. :roll:
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby vnzjunk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:24 am

[b]+1
On the reading through the past posts part. Unfortunately many will not spend a little time to do so. It is the instant gratification thing. I want it and I want it now at little or no effort on my part.......sort of thing.

Like you say 'IF ONLY'.........then the rest would not have to wade through the redundant posts to find new and interesting questions and comments.
[/b]
vnzjunk

Postby jeffrok » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:57 pm

hozedhead wrote:This has been covered elsewhere, new users should read through the threads before posting. This forum has gone to the dogs. :roll:

In others' defense, sometimes the search function brings up no results, if you don't search just right.. And not everyone who is a first-time poster here has a lot of prior forum experience.. I've been using forums for about 8 years, while others may have only started using the forums for the purpose of getting help with their new Rokus.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby xackley » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:06 pm

I am sure they will have an upgrade incentive in the future.
1 month before the roku 3 is announced.

The important Upgrade Program is to the firmware on the Roku1. Will there ever be another release. If not, that would weigh heavily in the decision to purchase any roku product in the future. CC
xackley

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:33 pm

3.0 firmware is being tested as we speak for the Roku 1 units. Roku stated they're not abandoning them
stratcat96

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion