How Much memory for Roku 2?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How Much memory for Roku 2?

Postby pmac » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:26 am

I think I read somehwere that the roku 2 can take only up to 16GB memory card. Did I read right? Thanks.
pmac

Re: How Much memory for Roku 2?

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:57 am

pmac wrote:I think I read somehwere that the roku 2 can take only up to 16GB memory card. Did I read right? Thanks.

I believe that is correct. I KNOW it handles 8gb just fine as I had one laying around and I inserted it my Roku 2 last week and it worked fine.

However anything over 2-4gb is probably overkill as the micro SD card is ONLY used for local ch storage and you really gain nothing by having a card larger than that.
Gilgamesh

Postby Vue92 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:31 am

I have a 1st Gen Roku box, and was always surprised that it didn't have larger buffer capacity. Often a viewing starts in HD and rebffers with only 4 or 3 dots, depending on factors unknown. Assumed higher usage times definitly affect results. Looking at the post and the ad for ROKU 2, I assume it has a much larger buffering capacity. I wouldn't mind starting a view and waiting for the program to buffer up before beginning to watch. Would ROKU 2 help this problem (w or w/o extra memory installed) and allow me to always watch 1080p HD when available? Thanks for any expert advice!
Vue92

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:35 am

what is your isp speed? If your current box is having trouble maintaining HD or 4 dots, the new box isn't going to perform differently. The only thing it does different is start from the bottom and work up, where the Roku 1 starts at the best it can get and can only get knocked down
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:43 am

Vue92 wrote: Often a viewing starts in HD and rebffers with only 4 or 3 dots, depending on factors unknown.

Actually, that's a symptom of unstable connection speed. It's not related to buffer size. The R2 uses adaptive bitrate streaming for Netflix and a few other channels. It seamlessly adjusts the bitrate up and down with fluctuations in your connection speed, eliminating re-buffering and always giving you the highest quality stream your connection will support, so it will help you in that way.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 am

Vue92 wrote:I have a 1st Gen Roku box, and was always surprised that it didn't have larger buffer capacity. Often a viewing starts in HD and rebffers with only 4 or 3 dots, depending on factors unknown. Assumed higher usage times definitly affect results. Looking at the post and the ad for ROKU 2, I assume it has a much larger buffering capacity. I wouldn't mind starting a view and waiting for the program to buffer up before beginning to watch. Would ROKU 2 help this problem (w or w/o extra memory installed) and allow me to always watch 1080p HD when available? Thanks for any expert advice!

If the drop in quality and the rebuffers are common then there is something wrong in your network setup, the actual speed you get from your ISP or the CDN that your DNS is choosing. I very much doubt that you would see any benefit, as far as the issues listed, from getting a Roku2 except that it will rarely rebuffer, it will just drop to a lower quality.

The first thing to try is to hook up wired if you are running wireless. While wireless is fine for many there are also many that find that wireless simply does not work well due to all the things that have an effect on wireless connections.

Another thing to try is a different DNS server. You can try 8.8.8.8. (Google DNS) or you can use OpenDNS (I don't remember the settings for that but a search for OpenDNS should get the info).

There is a program called NameBench that can help you find a better DNS server it can be downloaded here: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
Do not just trust the results but rather try a few of the top results.
Gilgamesh

Postby Vue92 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you both for the quick info. I have a fast Cox IP connection but it is known to vary, especially at high usage times - I live in the sticks. I was wondering why, if the buffer is huge, it wouldn't "store" the program so that you could watch with guaranteed HD. That would be a huge selling feature and propel ROKU and NEtflix into major selling point at any connection speed. My Satellite box does it on a hard drive. With ROKU 2 why didn't they get with it?
My ancient ROKU box does rebuffer and drop quality at the same time.
Vue92

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

Vue92 wrote:Thank you both for the quick info. I have a fast Cox IP connection but it is known to vary, especially at high usage times - I live in the sticks. I was wondering why, if the buffer is huge, it wouldn't "store" the program so that you could watch with guaranteed HD. That would be a huge selling feature and propel ROKU and NEtflix into major selling point at any connection speed. My Satellite box does it on a hard drive. With ROKU 2 why didn't they get with it?
My ancient ROKU box does rebuffer and drop quality at the same time.

No Roku has a "huge" buffer. They have a small one that gets a bit bigger on the newer boxes but none buffer more than about 5 or 6 minutes of video and it may not even be that much. The small buffer is not really the limiting factor on streaming speed it is rather the connection speed.

As I said in my first post in this thread the extra memory (microSD) that can be added to Roku2's is ONLY used for storage of the channels that are loaded. It is not used at all for anything related to streaming.

Because of licensing and other issues Roku does not "download" it just streams and streams very well. Some Rokus can have a usb drive plugged in but that is only used for playback of files stored on it.

Roku made the decision to go with an inexpensive model that does one thing (streaming) quite well and they provide an SDK that allows people to create chs that can add functionality and content but they have stayed away from any subscription based service so that means that a lot of things you see on subscription based devices like your satellite box will never be seen on the Roku.

Try another DNS or see if you can improve your connectivity and, usually, you will see a good improvement in Roku's streaming. It takes a connection of 3mbs or even less to stream most HD so, even when your connection slows, getting HD is quite possible as long as the stream can get to your Roku without much of lag or delay.
Gilgamesh

Postby pmac » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for all that information. My Internet speed is 30/15 mbps, very fast. Streaming is not an issue, but Like I said, I was wondering just how much of a SD memory card I could put in. I have an 8gb one I am not using and it sounds like that would be just fine. If it could take up to a 16gb then the next time I hit a sale, I'll probabloy just stick one in then. Thanks as usual for all of the great information I get here.
pmac

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:16 am

pmac wrote:If it could take up to a 16gb then the next time I hit a sale, I'll probabloy just stick one in then.

There's really no reason to go large on the SD card. It's primary purpose is to store game programs like a Angry Birds. That particular game is about 50mb, so you can see even the 2Gb card Roku supplied with the XS will hold a heck of a lot of games.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 am

pmac wrote:Thanks for all that information. My Internet speed is 30/15 mbps, very fast. Streaming is not an issue, but Like I said, I was wondering just how much of a SD memory card I could put in. I have an 8gb one I am not using and it sounds like that would be just fine. If it could take up to a 16gb then the next time I hit a sale, I'll probabloy just stick one in then. Thanks as usual for all of the great information I get here.

I doubt that going from 8-16 gb would ever make any difference so I would just inset the 8 gb microsd and then leave it. In fact I doubt that anything over 4 gb would ever be needed. Of course if there are a tremendous number of games then a bit more might be used but a need for anything over 8 gb is highly unlikely.

Be sure your Roku is powered on when you insert the card many people have reported that the Roku must be on or the card is not detected. I am not really sure it is needed but I could not get a detection of the card until I inserted it with the power on. You can temporarily unplug the HDMI cable while you insert the card.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 am

Gilgamesh wrote: I am not really sure it is needed but I could not get a detection of the card until I inserted it with the power on.

+1
kc8pql

Postby destruk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I'd get the 16GB or 32GB card if I could - lost of stuff could use it besides Roku. I doubt the technology is going away anytime soon (Roku's box will get updated hardware before 32GB SD cards are obsolete).
destruk

Postby Arwen » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Per the SDHC specification, I would not go above 32GB;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDHC#SDHC

Unless we get a different official word from Roku, I would assume
any SD slot that will take a 2GB card is SDHC compatible. (It's has
been indicated that the Roku supplied flash card is 2GBs right in
this thread.)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby kc8pql » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Jua st ran across this on the Roku accessory page:
2 GB MicroSD Card for Roku 2

List Price: $4.99
Love playing games on your Roku 2? This tiny MicroSD card expands your storage capacity from a few games to up to 50! Only for Roku 2 models.

so until a lot more games are published, or they decide to use the memory for something else, I wouldn't worry much about the card capacity.
kc8pql

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion