Netflix Subtitles No Longer Work on Roku 2

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Netflix Subtitles No Longer Work on Roku 2

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:15 am

joeparis wrote:Just to keep this thread alive, I too am having the problem. Subtitles worked perfectly at first, now they will not display at all on Netflix videos. The subtitles work just fine when watching them on the PC. This started for me after the Roku box froze up one day and I had to do a hard power cycle on it.

Roku, any help on this??? The only reason I bought the Roku box was to stream subtitled Netflix videos for my deaf wife.

What happens on a PC is meaningless to what happens on the Roku.

Your issue is with NetFlix if the stream Roku uses does not display subtitles when it should. NetFlix seems to pull and re-add content quite often to fix/change things and they often get it wrong. Use the "report problem" button on the website to report the issue also you can call NetFlix to report problems.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:40 am

joeparis wrote:Just to keep this thread alive, I too am having the problem. Subtitles worked perfectly at first, now they will not display at all on Netflix videos. ... This started for me after the Roku box froze up one day and I had to do a hard power cycle on it.

Try removing and then reinstalling the Netflix channel.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby six » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:37 pm

kc8pql wrote:
joeparis wrote:Just to keep this thread alive, I too am having the problem. Subtitles worked perfectly at first, now they will not display at all on Netflix videos. ... This started for me after the Roku box froze up one day and I had to do a hard power cycle on it.

I've done that and it didn't help. Netflix admits to having about 25% of their titles with CC. In my experience, only about 3 in 10 of these titles display CC correctly. :( I really hope this gets repaired quickly or I'll return my ROKU.
six

Postby kc8pql » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:02 pm

six wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

I've done that and it didn't help.

His died after a " hard power cycle", so it may not have reinstalled properly.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby six » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I've talk with a tech at Roku who informed me after my probing questions that there is a known issue with CC and Netflix. They are working on it and anticipate a solution. I asked when and he gave a vague response. I recently bought two Roku units and returned one today. Closed captioning is the only reason I bought these devices. I have two more weeks before I can not return my other Roku. If there isn't a satisfactory solution, It will be returned also.

My two blue ray players can stream Netflix; I wanted/needed close captioning. If my last Roku is returned, I'll check these forums later and see if there has been any progress made with this know issue before buying another Roku.
six

Postby junju » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:19 am

Hello everyone,

I'd like to point out that I'm also having problems with Netflix subtitles with the Roku 2 XS. I have deleted and reinstalled the netflix channel but it doesn't help. Only a handful of content display the subtitles when I turn them on. Most of the content that have subtitles available do not display them, no matter what i try.

I do hope this is fixed soon. Subtitles are essential to me.
junju

Postby six » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 am

junju wrote:Hello everyone,

I'd like to point out that I'm also having problems with Netflix subtitles with the Roku 2 XS. I have deleted and reinstalled the netflix channel but it doesn't help. Only a handful of content display the subtitles when I turn them on. Most of the content that have subtitles available do not display them, no matter what i try.

I do hope this is fixed soon. Subtitles are essential to me.

ARE YOU LISTENING ROKU AND NETFLIX?
six

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am

Roku is listening. This topic is going into my weekly report today.

Any specific title that used to play CC but now doesn't would help augment the report, especially if they can be verified in some manner.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby technolinguist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I wanted to report back that since Sept 14th (or at least that's the time I noticed) that close-captioning on my Roku 2 XS has been failing consistently.

Examples include:
1. Mad Men, Season 1, Episode 4 (5.1 Dolby Digital+ seems to work just fine) -- last watched Sept 15 around 10.45 pm PT.
2. Amadeus, last watched, Sept 14 around 9.00 pm PT.

I tried to report a problem with Instant Watching to Netflix, but they don't have a choice to report on multichannel audio or close captioning.

Thanks.
technolinguist

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:11 pm

I just received word from a user with a lot of specific titles experiencing this issue. I'm going to add an addendum to my weekly report with all the current information we have so Roku can look into it. Since it's most likely a Netflix issue, we'll be able to report it to Netflix to be looked at.

Thanks for all the feedback, and I'll post again if and when I know anymore information.
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby joeparis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:23 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:Roku is listening. This topic is going into my weekly report today.

Any specific title that used to play CC but now doesn't would help augment the report, especially if they can be verified in some manner.

C. Shawn Smith

I can confirm the problem with is Sherlock. We watched Episode 1 and the subtitles were fine. Went to watch episode 2 a few days later (after my Roku froze) and the subtitles wouldn't display. Checked episode 1 again and there were no subtitles.

Doctor Who displayed the same problem. Subtitles worked then stopped.
joeparis

Postby six » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:18 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:I just received word from a user with a lot of specific titles experiencing this issue. I'm going to add an addendum to my weekly report with all the current information we have so Roku can look into it. Since it's most likely a Netflix issue, we'll be able to report it to Netflix to be looked at.

Thanks for all the feedback, and I'll post again if and when I know anymore information.
C. Shawn Smith

1Mad Men worked initially and now doesn't display CC
2 Battle Star Gallactica 1st episode had 3-4 sec delay; 2nd episode completely failed.

The following titles never worked:
1 Restrepo
2 Charlotte Gray
3 Kiss Me Goodbye
4 Dangerous Beauty
5 Gosford Park
6 Miss Marple
7 Elizabeth R
8 Sons and Lovers
9 Mr. Woderful
10 The Secret Garden

With so many failures of the CC not working, I'm considering returning my new unit.
Regards,
Six
six

Postby oilfighter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 am

Mad Men
Doctor Who
Iron Man

All those titles doesn't work all the time.

Myself and 3 of my friends got really excited when we heard of Roku 2. The HD streaming was awesome, and the prospect of not having to hook up the laptop to the TV to get subtitles was probably the single most important factor in all 4 of us buying the Roku 2 XS.

Then we realized that the subtitles don't work all the time. 2 of us already returned their unit. I'll be returning my too, i'm pretty disappointed with how the subtitle issue worked out.
oilfighter

Postby lhall29 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:37 am

I have 2 Roku2s and neither display subtitles. Initially, the HD worked fine and the XD sometimes. Now, neither of them work.
lhall29

Postby samukas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm replying to this topic to be notified once a reply has been posted, as I am exteremely annoyed by this issue.
To me it's a problem on Netflix's side, because I've had this problem on both the Roku and the Boxee Box for more than a month. I've called Netflix support several times about this issue but they have not aknowledged it so far, so hopefully Roku can put some pressure on it.

This is a post I made on AVS last month, with a few examples of titles that wouldn't play subtitles: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1354773
samukas

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion