Netflix "Just For Kids" interface?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix "Just For Kids" interface?

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 am

Netflix's new Just For Kids interface is going to be great for my daughters! The Netflix blog indicated it would be coming soon to devices like the Wii and iPad. Wonder if or when it will be on the Roku?
Skolvikings

Re: Netflix "Just For Kids" interface?

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:46 am

http://movies.netflix.com/Kids

So far, Netflix has failed to provide the ability to add any of the "Just for Kids" selections to your Instant Queue. Hopefully that will soon be fixed.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:http://movies.netflix.com/Kids

So far, Netflix has failed to provide the ability to add any of the "Just for Kids" selections to your Instant Queue. Hopefully that will soon be fixed.

Actually I don't mind if you can't add titles to the queue from the Just for Kids interface, as my daughters couldn't care less about the queue. They just see their favorite cartoons on the screen and click on that item. They don't even know how to select specific episodes--probably because they can't read yet--and instead just watch whichever episode comes up. That makes the new Just for Kids interface perfect for them. Once it's added to the Wii, it will be perfect when they're downstairs in the family room. Hopefully it will be added to the Roku so they can use it when watching TV upstairs too.
Skolvikings

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Actually, I'd love if they made a separate app for Netflix Just for Kids. That app would have their interface and nothing else. I could then launch the normal Netflix app to see the grown-up stuff. :)
Skolvikings

Postby mask2343 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 pm

I need this on my Roku today! Let me have my queue back from Dora and Phineas and Ferb! :lol:
mask2343

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Skolvikings wrote:Netflix's new Just For Kids interface is going to be great for my daughters! The Netflix blog indicated it would be coming soon to devices like the Wii and iPad. Wonder if or when it will be on the Roku?

I could see that being a very welcome addition for user s with children. Kudos to Netflix for apparently hearing users' suggestions. Hopefully it will come to Roku
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby sharpedge » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:22 pm

I like Skolvikings idea of a separate Netflix Kids app, I'd even pay a one time fee that. Now to wait for someone from Roku to comment...hopefully the feature will be available soon for us loyal Roku 1 owners :-)

Thanks
sharpedge

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:23 pm

sharpedge wrote:I like Skolvikings idea of a separate Netflix Kids app, I'd even pay a one time fee that. Now to wait for someone from Roku to comment...hopefully the feature will be available soon for us loyal Roku 1 owners :-)

Thanks

Though I'm sure Roku helps, Netflix makes the apps. You'd really have to ask them about it.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby destruk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 pm

That's really cool. It's one of those "why didn't they have that before?" features. The new Arrivals scrolling is very slow in the bottom category with skipping frames, but the rest is smooth and titles are in multiple categories to remind kids of what they saw in previous categories. This is a good feature. They also were sure to check each selection for a kids rating - so unlike their standard animation section with includes TV-MA and Unrated manga hentai er, animation, this truly is just for kids.
destruk

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 pm

My 5-year old really likes this page: http://movies.netflix.com/KidsCharacters

She just clicks on Dora, or another character, and clicks one of the thumbnails on the next page to watch that video. I only let her play with it for about 20 minutes tonight before supper. Right before bed, she asked if she could use the computer again tomorrow for Netflix. I think she likes it. :D
Skolvikings

Postby drewb0y » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:32 pm

mask2343 wrote:I need this on my Roku today! Let me have my queue back from Dora and Phineas and Ferb! :lol:

I totally agree... so tired of going into netflix on my media center pc and seeing all of the "top picks for" category be cartoons....
drewb0y

Postby mommom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 pm

My grandkids are 11,9,and 4.Even the 4 year old uses Netflix and adds her shows to my queue,they were raised with Netflix.But this new interface seems to bring up shows that never show up when they look through the normal kids and family genre.This is excellent !! :D :D
mommom

Postby haroldskilley » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Add this!
haroldskilley

Postby sharpedge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:33 pm

So will the 'go-to streaming player for Netflix fans' be getting it soon?
sharpedge

Postby Porsche964 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am

All i can say is where is the DOO? Only one streaming video to watch. I would guess Scoobby Doo has be around for over 30 years with hundred of episodes.

Yes, i think it would be helpful to have a second app for the Netflix kids, i can only hope that does not mean a price jump!

While my kids love Netflix, i am struggling finding shows. Heck the new list of shows upcoming next month are from the 90's.

I am willing to pay another 2 bucks a month for a few more current video's to stream.

Clone wars is also on my list of videos needing added, i am sure George won't allow it though. :mrgreen:

Just my 2 cents.....
Porsche964

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion