Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby wchillman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 am

I’m thinking of replacing my Roku XDS with either a Roku 2 or a Blu-ray player so that I could stream Netflix in 1080p. I’ve been told that there aren’t many Blu-ray players that will stream Netflix in 1080p. Does anybody know if that’s the case? Any help from forum members would be appreciated.
wchillman
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby jcmolet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Why not just go with the Roku 2? Unless you are looking for blu-ray playback, you are not going to find a less expensive way to get Netflix 1080p video/5.1 audio.
jcmolet
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby wchillman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:45 pm

We don't have a Blu-ray player and, down-the-line, wanted to subscribe to DVDs by mail [including Blu-rays] from Netflix. I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. Didn't know if it was worth looking into, hence, my inquiry.
wchillman
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby jcmolet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:54 pm

wchillman wrote:We don't have a Blu-ray player and, down-the-line, wanted to subscribe to DVDs by mail [including Blu-rays] from Netflix. I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. Didn't know if it was worth looking into, hence, my inquiry.


Makes sense. The only blu-ray player with 5.1 audio/1080p video support for Netflix I am aware of is the PS3. I don't believe the capability has made it to other blu-ray players. But then again, I haven't researched the issue completely. Your best bet is to hit the websites for LG, Samsung, Sony, etc. and check the specs pages.
jcmolet
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:14 pm

I think Blu Ray is taking its last gasps so to speak. Especially coming from Netflix.. There's a lot of chatter about BD disc (non) availability from Netflix, plus there's the fact they seem to be slowly pushing the disc business out to the curb. For the cost of a disc+streaming plan, you could always rent a few new releases from a redbox or even AVod if you wanted to see something brand new
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby jcmolet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:49 pm

stratcat96 wrote:I think Blu Ray is taking its last gasps so to speak.


While Blu-ray discs will never reach the same rental or sales levels of DVD, thanks in large part to the introduction of streaming and download capabilities, the format is hardly taking its last gasps. While some are satisfied with the audio & video quality offered by services like Netflix, there is a significant number of consumers that require/desire higher fidelity. Additionally, some people still prefer to own physical media. Two things need to happen before Blu-ray starts its last gasps; the infrastructure needs to be in place to support significantly higher data rates (20-30 Mbps) to a plurality of consumers and mechanisms (i.e. digital media lockers) that allow consumers to retain and playback digital media across different devices/platforms - regardless of where it was purchased - need to be put in place and trusted by consumers.
jcmolet
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 pm

jcmolet wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:I think Blu Ray is taking its last gasps so to speak.


While Blu-ray discs will never reach the same rental or sales levels of DVD, thanks in large part to the introduction of streaming and download capabilities, the format is hardly taking its last gasps. While some are satisfied with the audio & video quality offered by services like Netflix, there is a significant number of consumers that require/desire higher fidelity. Additionally, some people still prefer to own physical media. Two things need to happen before Blu-ray starts its last gasps; the infrastructure needs to be in place to support significantly higher data rates (20-30 Mbps) to a plurality of consumers and mechanisms (i.e. digital media lockers) that allow consumers to retain and playback digital media across different devices/platforms - regardless of where it was purchased - need to be put in place and trusted by consumers.


When I first cut cable in 2006, there was nothing beyond youtube and a few niche sites streaming, at least to the masses. I could hook a computer up to my TV, but quality sucked and most networks didn't have much to offer. We had 3Mbps service, which was enough for most stuff we had to do.

Fast forward just 4 years, and I get my first Roku. Suddenly there's a world open to me, and there are a couple major players, dozens of smaller ones, and thousands of niche streamers. 720p/HD is standard for the major players, and everyone else is working their way up. I have 15Mbps internet service, and it's plenty for what I need it to do.

A little further in the future, and things are just going to get faster and more widespread. The genie's out of the bottle, and while we'll see some restrictions, the trend will be toward more media (even if how you pay for it may change). Blu-ray isn't going away immediately, but people like me, for whom 720p is fine given the extreme convenience of streaming, aren't ever going to adopt, and it won't be long before you'll be able to get similar, if not better, quality streaming.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby jcmolet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 am

mikebdoss wrote: Blu-ray isn't going away immediately, but people like me, for whom 720p is fine given the extreme convenience of streaming, aren't ever going to adopt, and it won't be long before you'll be able to get similar, if not better, quality streaming.


I agree that some people are satisfied with lower fidelity; something noted in my post. However, If you are stating that you believe you will SOON be able to get similar, if not better, quality video via streaming vice physical media, I would like to know what you base that on. In addition to the number of lines - a factor in resolution - another consideration in video fidelity is the amount of data delivered over a given time period, Mbps. A Blu-ray disc can deliver up to 40 Mbps. How long before the infrastructure is in place to deliver that to most Americans via the Internet? How many Americans will be willing to pay what that level of service will likely cost? What about the issue of digital media storage? what mechanism is in place - or soon will be in place - that will allow me to playback content purchased on Vudu or Amazon or iTunes on a single device/platform? Digital media lockers (storage) have yet to be addressed or distributed in any meaningful way. I don't doubt that the fidelity offered by Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus is enough to satisfy many consumers such as yourself. However, if you visit some Blu-ray forums the users there are just as passionate about that medium as users here are about Roku specifically and streaming in general. Moreover, I haven't read or seen any study that suggests Blu-ray is on the decline. In fact, while sales and rentals may not be reaching the level of DVDs, it appears as if the adoption continues to rise. Just because some have sworn off physical media doesn't suggest its on its last legs.
Last edited by jcmolet on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcmolet
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Streaming in 1080p: Roku 2 vs. Blu-ray

Postby Tutontow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 am

Buy a Panasonic Blu Ray player that will stream Netflix in Dolby Digital 5.1 plus. Shop around you can find them in the $100.00 to $150.00 range. If you find that this doesn't work for you buy a Roku xs. At the most you will have $250.00 tied up and you will have all of the bases covered.

Here is a good place to start http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297186

I will say I am on my fourth streaming device, two Blu-ray players, and a wdtv live plus and the Roku xs. The Roku is by far and away the best for streaming (at least in my experience) in addition you have the games which are a heck of a bargain.

Between the one for one Blu-ray plan and Netflix streaming I have reduced my cable down to basic and I am saving a net difference of $60.00 a month and my entertainment quality has gone way up. Watching TV with commercials is downright painful. When I watch live news (CNN etc) I get five minutes of news and five minutes of commercials. Just for laughs I check out the HBO movie listings and I have to tell you I am not missing out on anything. In the past five months I have probably watched 4 hours total off of cable.
Tutontow
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 am


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests