Question About MAC Address Spoofing with Hotel Internet

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Question About MAC Address Spoofing with Hotel Internet

Postby kc27 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:19 pm

I wanted to use my Roku XDS in a hotel that offered free (wired and wireless) internet. The hotel had a log-in screen in which you had to enter a username and password to gain access to the internet. I followed the directions for MAC address spoofing found in this thread http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18341&p=103301&hilit=spoof#p103301 Once I did that, I went to the Roku player settings and selected the wired connection option, and saw that the Roku was reporting that it was connected to the internet. However, the Roku could not stream content (MLBTV, Netflix). Is there another level of filtering that would prevent a Roku that reports it has access to the internet from being able to stream content?

I ended up using my travel router, and with the hotel's internet first going through the travel router, the Roku was then able to stream content. But I am curious as to why the Roku couldn't stream when it showed it had internet access. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.
kc27

Re: Question About MAC Address Spoofing with Hotel Internet

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm

kc27 wrote:I wanted to use my Roku XDS in a hotel that offered free (wired and wireless) internet. The hotel had a log-in screen in which you had to enter a username and password to gain access to the internet. I followed the directions for MAC address spoofing found in this thread http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18341&p=103301&hilit=spoof#p103301 Once I did that, I went to the Roku player settings and selected the wired connection option, and saw that the Roku was reporting that it was connected to the internet. However, the Roku could not stream content (MLBTV, Netflix). Is there another level of filtering that would prevent a Roku that reports it has access to the internet from being able to stream content?

I ended up using my travel router, and with the hotel's internet first going through the travel router, the Roku was then able to stream content. But I am curious as to why the Roku couldn't stream when it showed it had internet access. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Any number of reasons could have held it up - incorrect spoofing, bad network communication, network timeouts for whatever reason. I haven't seen many people have much luck. I'm surprised, honestly, that you got it to work with the travel router - hotel internet is notoriously slow/inconsistent.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc27 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:02 pm

It worked well for both MLBTV and Netflix, picture quality was fine, maybe because I used a wired connection instead of wireless? I plugged the travel router into the ethernet jack in the room, and then connected an ethernet cable between the router and the Roku.

I know that when I spoofed the laptop's MAC address with the Roku's Mac address, the spoofing software's description of the adaptor changed, identifying the adaptor as a Roku. I thought maybe the hotel's network had been set up to block traffic to any adaptors who's MAC address mapped to a description of a streaming player, such as a Roku. Just a wild guess...
kc27

Postby CheeseFoodProduct » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 am

Help! I have a friend who lives in a hotel and who purchased a ROKU at my suggestion. In 6 weeks I'm going for a visit and I need the easiest, most low tech solution to get him past the hotel's firewall and get his ROKU on the internet. What's the easiest solution? Wireless router? Will that require a laptop to seal the deal or can it also be accomplished with a iPhone or iPod Touch? Anyone have any ideas about MAC address spoofing apps?
Thanks for the help!
CheeseFoodProduct

Postby kc27 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 pm

trekkeriii probably has the easiest, most efficient fix for you.

I had no luck with mac address spoofing option, and I'm pretty confident I did it correctly - multiple times. What turned out to be a semi-low tech solution for me was going with a wired connection. I Connected an ethernet cable from the ethernet jack in the room to a travel router, then an ethernet cable from the travel router to the Roku - or you could make a wireless connection between the router and the Roku, instead. This would assume that the hotel provides a live ethernet jack (I think they are disappearing with wireless being so prevalent).

I was traveling a couple of months ago without the Roku, but did happen to have a tablet with the Netflix application. I connected that via an HDMI cable to the 42" LCD TV in the room. This did not offer all the viewing options (channels) or convenience of a Roku and Roku remote, but it worked in a pinch. However, it sounds like you are looking for a more long-term Roku solution rather than a temporary set-up.
kc27

Postby sanschag » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 am

If you're using a Windows 7 computer, I have had good luck connecting my phone via wifi using Virtual Router Manager. Specifically, my laptop is plugged into a wired port and then my phone connects to the Wi-Fi, which is secured. (I don't have Wi-Fi in my office, so I use this method to eliminate the need to be using wireless data all day. My phone can't connect to an ad-hoc network.) It's supposed to work with a wireless connection to the computer as well, but I haven't tried that.
sanschag

Postby CheeseFoodProduct » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to you...
I've suggested just asking the management... he doesn't want to do that.
He does have the ROKU with an ethernet port but no access to a computer.
Is it possible to get the ROKU internet access using an additional wireless router and an iPod Touch?
At least for now... those are the only real tools we'd have access to.
I'm visiting in November and hoping to help solve the problem while I'm there.
I may have to throw him in a headlock and drag him kicking and screaming to the front desk/IT person and HELP him ask for their assistance.
Hopefully it won't come to that.
CheeseFoodProduct

Postby CheeseFoodProduct » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 am

Front desk.
CheeseFoodProduct

Postby charliev » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Here's what I did, and it works easily:

- Go to Amazon.com and buy a Zuni Connect 4 travel router for about $40
- Put it into WISP mode (Wireless ISP)
- Connect it to the ethernet port on the notebook to configure it
- Tell it to connect to the hotel WiFi
- Browse with the notebook (you are using the router as a WiFi adapter essentially)

Now any device that connects to your Zuni hotspot can get out. As a bonus the Roku and other devices (tablet, smartphone etc) will remember your Zuni, you never have to fool with them again when you travel.
charliev

Postby bees » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

I've got a trip coming up this week and am likely going to face this same problem. I've got a stupid question - what, if anything, is the difference between a regular wireless router and a travel router? I've read through several threads and there are many suggestions to bring a travel router, but I don't have one of those. I do, however, have a normal wireless router that I can bring with. Is there something special that a travel router brings to the mix? Is there any reason I can't simply pack up my regular wireless router and connect through that?
bees

Postby RickRansom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 pm

bees wrote:...what, if anything, is the difference between a regular wireless router and a travel router?

Most[if not all] home routers will only work with a regular cable/dsl modem. A travel router has the capability to connect to a wireless network and rebroadcast a wireless network of its own. Basically, it will use the wireless connection from the hotel and treat it as the modem while it will then broadcast your personal wireless network where you can connect your own devices.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby JimDandySTX » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm

bees wrote:I've got a trip coming up this week and am likely going to face this same problem. I've got a stupid question - what, if anything, is the difference between a regular wireless router and a travel router? I've read through several threads and there are many suggestions to bring a travel router, but I don't have one of those. I do, however, have a normal wireless router that I can bring with. Is there something special that a travel router brings to the mix? Is there any reason I can't simply pack up my regular wireless router and connect through that?

The main difference between a regular router and a travel is the physical size.

As long as the firmware on your router will allow you to set it up as an AP by connecting it by an Ethernet cable to the hotel's network or if that option isn't available configure it as a wireless repeater. Most routers can be used as APs, but setting up a router as a repeater requires firmware with more flexibility such as DD-WRT.
JimDandySTX

Travel weekly - MAC Address Spoofing is easier

Postby majennin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:39 am

I've been traveling weekly for 2 years using my iPAD to stream Amazon instant video. That setup can't get video on a TV screen without a jailbreak and an HDMI adaptor that has a reputation for compatibility issues. So I've gone to ROKU and been very pleased with the quality even on free hotel wifi with varying bandwidths -- ROKU seems to adapt well to bandwith that fluctuates as people hop on and off. Anyway, I'm usually in HILTON properties (Hampton, Doubletree, Garden Inn, etc.) and they have the typical hotel login page.

To navigate the login page, I'm using an iPad (jailbroken) with an App mentioned in another forum, macX4, to temporarily change my iPAD MAC to match the ROKU MAC (ROKU powered off) and then go through the sign on process. Then change the MAC on the iPAD back to it's normal MAC address and power on ROKU. ROKU connects and works like a champ.

I tried a travel router (maybe not the best - TP-link and it required manipulation using a wired connection and static IP to get to the router management functions - REALLY impractical). And as I worked through that process, I realized even without the wire and the static IP issue; messing with a travel router at every stop is going to be time consuming and error prone.

Can't speak for everyone, but for me this little MAC change and sign on process, which HILTON requires every 24 hours, is manageable and no worse then hooking up ROKU to begin with. My vote is use MAC spoofing and stay away from travel routers if you can.
majennin

Postby david0406 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

Does this qualify for the older than 6 months rule start a new thread?
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby gonzotek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 am

david0406 wrote:Does this qualify for the older than 6 months rule start a new thread?

No, because the last post prior to today's was Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:39 pm, which is less than 6 months. If the thread had been inactive all that time(more than 6 months), it might qualify, or the mods might decide it made sense to continue to allow the conversation due to the topic nature.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion