Roku - Win 7 - Connectify Me connect problem.

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku - Win 7 - Connectify Me connect problem.

Postby Smksignals » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am

My campground has a pay wireless internet service available. You purchase the service, and then use a user name and password to connect. Roku does not allow a user name.

I now have a laptop with Windows 7 and installed Connectify-Me to act as a hotspot to connect to the Roku. I tested it at home, and Roku connected fine.

At the campground I can not connect Roku to the internet service providers network. My laptop is connected, no problem. My Iphone and Ipad can connect to the Connectify-Me hotspot, no problem. Roku see's the Connectify-Me signal, but wont connect. I called the internet provider and their routers have Mac Address Filtering enabled.

Is their anything I can do to connect my Roku?

Thanks !!
Smksignals

Re: Roku - Win 7 - Connectify Me connect problem.

Postby StellarRat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 pm

The best solution is to get a travel router that allows you to spoof MAC addresses. I think you initially make your connection with the laptop then have the router duplicate it's MAC address. I've not tried this though, but people claim it works. The other thing I've heard works is internet connection sharing from the laptop. I never done either that you'd have to do some research. You should be able to find information about either idea on the internet.
StellarRat

Postby Smksignals » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:15 am

StellarRat wrote:The best solution is to get a travel router that allows you to spoof MAC addresses. I think you initially make your connection with the laptop then have the router duplicate it's MAC address. I've not tried this though, but people claim it works. The other thing I've heard works is internet connection sharing from the laptop. I never done either that you'd have to do some research. You should be able to find information about either idea on the internet.

I tried ICS on a different computer, a netbook with XP, and had no luck getting the computer to share. I am sure it was my problem, not the computers. :D

Regarding spoofing a mac address, could someone help with how to do this. I have searched here and googled the term and don't quite understand how to do it. Do I need a router to do this, or can I do it with the computer only, then connect the Roku to the provider.

Thanks.
Smksignals

Postby mommom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:35 am

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the Xp/Windows 7 connection not working with the Netbook ,but sometimes getting a Windows7 pc to network well with an xp pc home network can be difficult.
mommom

Postby Smksignals » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am

mommom wrote:I have no idea if this has anything to do with the Xp/Windows 7 connection not working with the Netbook ,but sometimes getting a Windows7 pc to network well with an xp pc home network can be difficult.

Thanks for the note. So there is no confusion, I am not using XP at all. Just Win 7, an ISP with mac address filtering, and my Roku box.
Smksignals

Postby Smksignals » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 am

Smksignals wrote:
Regarding spoofing a mac address, could someone help with how to do this. I have searched here and googled the term and don't quite understand how to do it. Do I need a router to do this, or can I do it with the computer only (running Windows 7), then connect the Roku to the provider.

Thanks.

Anyone ???
Smksignals

Postby destruk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:01 am

destruk

Postby renojim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't think spoofing a MAC address in W7 will help you. From what I've read, W7 will only allow certain values for the second nibble of the first byte. All my Rokus' MAC addresses start with 00 and that second 0 isn't one of the allowed values for W7. You might be able to pull it off in XP which has no restrictions.

By the way, have you verified that this campground ISP has sufficient bandwidth to support streaming? You may be going through all this for nothing.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion