Roku2& new Blockbuster Streaming Service

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku2& new Blockbuster Streaming Service

Postby Crow550 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:47 am

jetman1287 wrote:
aaronwt wrote:
jetman1287 wrote:I tried the Blockbuster trial as a possible alternative to Netflix and found it really disappointing. There aren't truly unlimited swaps and there are some odd restrictions to the plan.

Ever since Netflix announced the price hike, Blockbuster has had unlimited in store exchanges. I have the 3 out Blockbuster plan(as well as Netflix). The in store exchanges are truly unlimited at the local Blockbuster I use.

First, they made me sign up in the store - no cost, just a paperwork thing, okay - I thought I was already a member when I signed up online?? I wanted to trade my mail-in movie for a game....apparently if you read the fine print the in-store exchanges are for free MOVIES only, games are like $4.99 LOL. If you go online, all of the games have 100-day waits from release. Madden comes out in December!

Also, if you bring your movie back, you can't get another movie in-store, you have to wait for one in the mail. This isn't like Netflix where it arrives next day - Blockbuster takes 2-3 days for receipt and double that for shipping.

I should just be a Blockbuster overall MEMBER, period, with unlimited swapping of 2 blu-rays/games/movies by mail, store, or even kiosk, wherever....that's what the advertising leads you to believe...

I agree about signing up in store. They really need to merge the Stores & Online. I also thought it was odd to rent Games for a discount and Movies for free. Should be unlimited swaps. So far the mail time is the same for me.

If you call one of the Stores. The Stores are offering a special deal for unlimited in-Store swaps with disc by mail. If you prefer to do more in-Store swaps than online.

Just have to assume Dish will work on working out these kinks in the service.

I would use the store rentals rarely anyways as it's easier to just wait for the mail. Also until things get better. It's 2011 & it's a pain in the ass to have to drive back to the video store to return the Movie, even with no due dates. :P When I have options to pop it in the Mailbox or at any local store with Redbox. I might use the swapping on weekends or when guest are over. However I have a few Redboxs closer and online rental services too.

So Dish has some work to do. Can't complain much about the mail rentals and they do seem to carry much more Blu-Rays (old & new) and so far my turn around has been the same. Really disappointed with Netflix in that regard as they charge $3 extra for Blu-Rays & 28 days on New Releases with no real rewards from it. Streaming is still good for TV shows and many flicks. So far that is.

I mean if it wasn't was the price increase I don't think I would have ever bothered with Blockbuster and I kept hearing how bad they were. However I realized they are owned by Dish now and not the old owners & they are offering 30 days free. So why not.

Currently all 3 services are useful. Blockbuster for Blu-Rays in the mail, Redbox (plus Amazon & Vudu) for quick convenience and Netflix for streaming.

I will continue this discussion in the thread I made: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43268
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Postby __5 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Blockbuster will announce subscription costs and other details for the new subscription streaming service on Sept. 23.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-0 ... -week.html
__5

Postby __5 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 am

Blockbuster/Dish-network will announce subscription costs and other details for the new subscription streaming service today at 10:00 am (PT).

http://www.ustream.tv/dishnetwork

Cheers!
__5

Postby __5 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:42 am

For now, looks good for dish customers or planning on been one!
__5

Postby aaronwt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:57 am

What did they announce?
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby __5 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 am

__5

Postby aaronwt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:04 am

roku5 wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/23/technology/blockbuster_streaming/?source=cnn_bin

Thanks!

So first you need to be a Dish subscriber and then they will only have 3000 movies available for streaming to a TV(4000 to a PC)? That is even less than Amazon has. Of course it takes time to build up, but from what I read it is nowhere close to being able to be a replacement for Netflix. Of course the Best thing about BB is the in store exchanges they offer for your mailings which is a big plus for many people.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 am

BB by Dish helps to accomplish two things.... Create a bidding war with Netflix for content and potentially hurt Netflix by taking content away and then send netflix subscribers to subscribe for DishNetwork
stratcat96

Postby __5 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:12 am

aaronwt wrote:
roku5 wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/23/technology/blockbuster_streaming/?source=cnn_bin

Thanks!

So first you need to be a Dish subscriber and then they will only have 3000 movies available for streaming to a TV(4000 to a PC)? That is even less than Amazon has. Of course it takes time to build up, but from what I read it is nowhere close to being able to be a replacement for Netflix. Of course the Best thing about BB is the in store exchanges they offer for your mailings which is a big plus for many people.

Yep, just "stay tuned" for non-Dish subscribers!!
__5

Postby aaronwt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:27 pm

stratcat96 wrote:BB by Dish helps to accomplish two things.... Create a bidding war with Netflix for content and potentially hurt Netflix by taking content away and then send netflix subscribers to subscribe for DishNetwork

I doubt much content wouldbe taken away. The vast majority of content will be available to whomever will pay for it. Much of the Amazon Prime streaming content is also available on Netflix streaming.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 pm

aaronwt wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:BB by Dish helps to accomplish two things.... Create a bidding war with Netflix for content and potentially hurt Netflix by taking content away and then send netflix subscribers to subscribe for DishNetwork

I doubt much content wouldbe taken away. The vast majority of content will be available to whomever will pay for it. Much of the Amazon Prime streaming content is also available on Netflix streaming.

I hope that's the case but Starz has already set a precedent to the contrary
stratcat96

Postby destruk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 pm

3000 movies is more than Netflix has for streaming. Netflix cheats by counting tv show episodes as a single selection, so you have 300 stargate shows, 200 star trek DS9 shows, 300 King of the hill shows, etc etc etc. I hope blockbuster doesn't stream any tv shows - just pure movies would be a nice change.
destruk

Postby mommom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Did you miss this?

""The streaming catalog includes shows from Fox, Cartoon Network, Discovery, Epix, Fox, DIY, HGTV and TBS.""

Looks like they count tv shows too.
mommom

Postby aaronwt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:25 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
aaronwt wrote:

I hope that's the case but Starz has already set a precedent to the contrary

The Starz content was available to Netlfix(and still is until the end of 1Q2012). Starz just did not want to accept the 300 million dollar offer that Netflix made. They wanted more money and Netflix was not willing to pay more than the ten times increase they were offering.
Although personally I was glad that happened since the Starz content was some of the worst quality streaming content that Netflix had.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby aaronwt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm

destruk wrote:3000 movies is more than Netflix has for streaming. Netflix cheats by counting tv show episodes as a single selection, so you have 300 stargate shows, 200 star trek DS9 shows, 300 King of the hill shows, etc etc etc. I hope blockbuster doesn't stream any tv shows - just pure movies would be a nice change.

All streaming providers count the content that way. It is nothing unusual.
Where it gets bad is when you have cable providers, like comcast, Fios etc., that also count these 2 and 3 minute shorts in their streaming total as well.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion