Thinking of buying Roku n getting rid of Dish but have ??

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Thinking of buying Roku n getting rid of Dish but have ??

Postby justme54 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 am

Hi,I really want to cut down on expenses but I'm a big tv watcher. I leave mine on all the time unless I'm working,which is 3 nights a week,so they are on alot. I have a desktop,in the bedroom,and a laptop. These are the channels I watch alot. ABC,NBC,CBS,KOKH-LOCAL CABLE CHANNEL-THINK IT'S CALLED FOX,USA,TNT,TBS,KOCB,TV LAND,FOOD CHANNEL,HGTV,LIFETIME,HLN,CNN,TLC,QVC,SHNBC,HSN,NICK AT NITE-EAST N WEST,LIQUIDATION CHANNEL, WILL WATCH CERTAIN THINGS ON A&E-COMEDY CENTRAL-AMC. Been watching reruns on ION. I have Netflix right now but just get them mailed to me so I can take to work.

I've been reading a few post here and trying to learn abt Roku and others and what would be best for me. I still don't know. So someone please give me some ideas and tell me what you would do. I welcome all suggestions,just don't get too complicated.LOL..I'm in a rural area,small town,but do have WM with dvd rental. So I want to know if I get the Roku,which of these can I watch on it,if any? What if I get an antenna,will I be able to get the local and cable channels and use the Roku for netflix and use the computer for others?

Now I know this is stupid,but I'm so used to having my tv on and flipping channels,especially while in bed,that I just don't know what I'll do or handle it.LOL.. It's crazy,I know. TIA,not able to come back for a couple days to see answers.
justme54

Re: Thinking of buying Roku n getting rid of Dish but have ?

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 am

justme54 wrote:Hi,I really want to cut down on expenses but I'm a big tv watcher. I leave mine on all the time unless I'm working,which is 3 nights a week,so they are on alot. I have a desktop,in the bedroom,and a laptop. These are the channels I watch alot. ABC,NBC,CBS,KOKH-LOCAL CABLE CHANNEL-THINK IT'S CALLED FOX,USA,TNT,TBS,KOCB,TV LAND,FOOD CHANNEL,HGTV,LIFETIME,HLN,CNN,TLC,QVC,SHNBC,HSN,NICK AT NITE-EAST N WEST,LIQUIDATION CHANNEL, WILL WATCH CERTAIN THINGS ON A&E-COMEDY CENTRAL-AMC. Been watching reruns on ION. I have Netflix right now but just get them mailed to me so I can take to work.

I've been reading a few post here and trying to learn abt Roku and others and what would be best for me. I still don't know. So someone please give me some ideas and tell me what you would do. I welcome all suggestions,just don't get too complicated.LOL..I'm in a rural area,small town,but do have WM with dvd rental. So I want to know if I get the Roku,which of these can I watch on it,if any? What if I get an antenna,will I be able to get the local and cable channels and use the Roku for netflix and use the computer for others?

Now I know this is stupid,but I'm so used to having my tv on and flipping channels,especially while in bed,that I just don't know what I'll do or handle it.LOL.. It's crazy,I know. TIA,not able to come back for a couple days to see answers.

Roku is a very, very different way to watch TV - more akin to "On Demand" cable programming. Very few channels have live streams. Generally you choose the show you want to watch at any time, you don't wait for a channel to show it. None of the channels you listed broadcasts live, though some shows from some of those channels are available.

With an antenna, you'll get some (perhaps all) of your local channels, but none of your cable channels.
Last edited by mikebdoss on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby socantra » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:46 am

By your listing of KOKH and KOCB, I'm guessing you are in Oklahoma and probably the OKC market. Tell me the town and I'll see if I can get some information on your antenna possibilities and requirements.

We live just south of OKC and are getting ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ION, FOX, CW, THIS, AntennaTV and quite a bit more off a very old, very beat up antenna. We are pretty close, but Oklahoma is generally pretty flat country and the OKC 'antenna farm' clusters most of the transmission towers in one area, which often eliminates the need for a rotor and makes it cheaper
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby robertm » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:19 am

First off getting a roku and getting rid of Dish does not have to be mutually exclusive. Roku is a very tiny investment and if you already have Netflix you would be sort of silly not to get one or something that streams netflix.

Secondly, determining what local channels you can get is key.

Lastly, give yourself time to make the transition. See if streaming can take on quite a bit of your demand and see if you like the experience. Most likely you will have to compromise in a few areas but they may not be areas you can live without. It may be a situation where you can cut down on your dish bill but not get rid of it altogether. The only person who can decide that is you.
robertm

Postby mommom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 am

""What if I get an antenna,will I be able to get the local and cable channels and use the Roku for netflix and use the computer for others""

Thats your answer right there.Ota,Roku,and pc connected tv's.

Get an antenna.We use little indoor cheapo ones like the $9.99 ones here.http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx ... rm=antenna

Try this on your pc ,its a free download of a browser for watching from pc to tv http://kylo.tv/

Check out whats available.Look at the list of Roku official channels and see what content is included. http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

Check out any private channels that interst you. http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private-channels/ Maybe not complete,but close.

If it looks good,buy a Roku and try it for a few weeks.You have 30 days to return it.Reduce your sat subscription to the lowest package while you try it. If after a month you are happy,its a no brainer.

:D :D
mommom

Postby Blacklac » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 pm

I just canceled my Charter cable and now rely on OTA antenna with a DVR, a Roku 2 (also currently subscribed to Hulu+ and Amazon Prime) and Netflix Blu-ray in the mail. While it does provide content to watch, you will miss most of those premium channels if you drop DISH. While you can find some (unreliable?) ways to get maybe 2 or 3 of those premium channels (limited content from CNN, HGTV and Food Network) you want, they are iPhone/iPad streams and they look quite awful. They make DISH SD look good. :/

If money were not the deciding factor, I would have never dropped my cable. The Roku is a great fallback for the $ saved, but it cannot replace pay TV service as of today.

I do hope one day content providers offer their premium channels to Roku in HD, even if it requires a small monthly/yearly subscription.
Blacklac

Postby mommom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 pm

You know at one time I might have missed HGTV for some of the good programs,now I just dont care to watch househunters international or Property virgins or any of the other junk on their.Hulu actually has a lot of HGTV anyway.Cnn used to be good,now they are so worried about trying to get viewers they just did a Tea Party debate.People can be for whomever they like,but I feel news should be unbiased.When a news channel starts actively courting a segment of society for viewers,I don't trust their viewpoint anymore.Food Network never was much of an interest for me.

One thing that is odd to me is that if you live in the UK,their are sources of streaming we would never be allowed in the US.If you speak Spanish,their are sources that would be taken down if they were in English.Yet we are the "Free" country.I mean,what is the big deal?Stream it on the web just like OTA with commercials and all. Either we believe in Free Enterprise or we don't.
mommom

Postby justme54 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 am

By your listing of KOKH and KOCB, I'm guessing you are in Oklahoma and probably the OKC market. Tell me the town and I'll see if I can get some information on your antenna possibilities and requirements.

We live just south of OKC and are getting ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ION, FOX, CW, THIS, AntennaTV and quite a bit more off a very old, very beat up antenna. We are pretty close, but Oklahoma is generally pretty flat country and the OKC 'antenna farm' clusters most of the transmission towers in one area, which often eliminates the need for a rotor and makes it cheaper.

Thank you all for your answers.I have alot of thinking to do.
I do live in OK but I live in SW OK in a rural area. I would be willing to get an antenna if I could my locals,which are from OKC,and the cable channels also,but doesn't sound like I can. Willing to give something else a try. TIA
justme54

Postby StellarRat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:25 pm

I reduced my DISH network to the basic package after I got my Roku and put an antenna up. If you want football, it's pretty hard to cut the cord completely. That said, I am saving over $50 per month with a smaller DISH package, so my Roku has paid for itself many times over now. If you buy a high gain antenna and a rotor you're probably going to be pretty happy. Take a look at the DB8 and a high gain VHF antenna.
StellarRat

Postby krisbee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:58 pm

And, I have to say it - if you work at it, you can get those TV shows onto your Roku by having your computer record it. I have a complicated setup with MythTV, but you can just as easily setup a folder to record stuff and then autotranscode to h264 and with a third party app, get it on the Roku.

If you have a laptop, figure out how to hook that up to your TV, and then you don't even have to transcode - and that gives you the benefit of looking at websites with full episodes - we watch plenty of full episodes of premium content for free with some ads with a computer hooked up to the tv, and I think it looks just as good as the SD content we were getting from Direct... plus we pocket an extra $100 a month now that we can put to a vacation. Great trade off if you ask me.

However, if you have a family with kids or like sports, it might be too hard to cut off completely. We are just two adults here, so we are good.

As for flipping, you still can hunt on the private channels and even the pay channels like netflix and find gold - but it is more "active" to me - flipping for flipping sake is not terribly productive; you usually found crap and had to keep searching.

And as for what you can get - you would be surprised - I am 60 miles from two different markets and I receive them all on one antenna that I built - 45+ channels, perfect reception. Go to tvfool.com to get an analysis for free at your home address - very valuable info.
krisbee

Postby galexe » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 pm

check out http://skittertv.com
It is available in San Antonio and Austin now and will be available in several other markets soon.
It provides live local channels to the Roku. Great for folks that cant put up an antenna or have trees in the way.
Also much cheaper than most cable plans.
galexe

Postby JimDandySTX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 am

Roku is only a partial solution for those wanting to "cut the cord."

First only a small portion of what is streamed is available as a channel on Roku.

Second the Roku is not an optimal solution for attempting to watch live TV. For instance living outside the USA I can subscribe to USTVNOW. It is available as a channel on the Roku. When I attempted to watch game six of the ALCS last week on the Fox Network feed USTVNOW just didn't have the capacity to stream it to everyone in the world who wanted to watch. Rebuffering was constant. For programming or events not in high demand USTVNOW works fine. I have used it to watch NFL games with traveling in Europe.

To cut the cord you are going to need a combination of technology and devices. Nothing is going to be as convenient as Satellite or CATV for day in day out viewing. Roku is a wonderful auxillary piece of equipment allowing you to stream supplemental entertainment programming to your TV.
JimDandySTX

Postby krisbee » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:23 am

And, to those who don't know - if you have a cable modem, you still might get the Broadcast stations with that cable, even though you don't pay for the TV. Usually they are unencrypted and always there.

And JimDandySTX is absolutely right - we use a combination here of a Roku, a Computer hooked to the TV (bought for $100 on ebay with shipping), and an Antenna hooked to a computer.

An example of last nights viewing (sans cord):
The wife watches Project Runway, we used the computer/website for that - we watch Tough Love Miami on VH1, we use the computer/website for that. We watched X-Factor, we used the computer/Antenna for that. We watched the latest episode of South Park, we used the computer/website for that. Caught up on Conan, used the Roku. Watched a Family Guy Rerun, used the Roku/Antenna for that. Fell asleep, Roku used as nighlight/clock.
krisbee

Postby hoo rider » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:32 am

krisbee wrote:
However, if you have a family with kids or like sports, it might be too hard to cut off completely. We are just two adults here, so we are good.

I completely disagree with you for kids programming. There are many free, classic cartoons (e.g. Pink Panther, Looney Tunes) available. If you're willing to spend the $8/month for netflix streaming, there is a ton of kids and teen programming available. I've been very impressed with Netflix kids programming. My 2 year old can watch leapfrog videos (through netflix), thomas the train videos, and cartoons if he wants. My almost a tween can watch same programs (icarly, phineas and ferb) that she used to watch on cable.

For sports, I agree with you. We have an antenna and a HTPC so I can record local sports, but I miss Monday and Thursday night football.
hoo rider

Postby geekykit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:44 am

krisbee wrote:we use a combination here of a Roku, a Computer hooked to the TV (bought for $100 on ebay with shipping), and an Antenna hooked to a computer.

krisbee - What are the specs on the computer you use with your TV? And what's the antenna -> computer -> Roku set up like?

Thanks for the info!
geekykit

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion