I want to play AVI, MOV, MKV over WiFi Windows shared drive.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

I want to play AVI, MOV, MKV over WiFi Windows shared drive.

Postby ViNDi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 pm

I recently dumped my WDTV Live Plus for the Roku XS2. I made the assumption that I could connect to LAN shares and play videos and slideshow JPGs like my WDTV, but I am unable to figure out how to do it. I discovered PLEX, but I dont want to have to run a Server executable on my file server. Is there a way to just stream the content off an SMB share?

So far, I think the Roku is amazingly fast considering it's size, and it doesn't get very hot either. Very impressive! I just want to play media over LAN. I've looked through a channel list and found two 3rd party tools that either required payment or didn't fit my requirements.

Any suggestions?
ViNDi

Re: I want to play AVI, MOV, MKV over WiFi Windows shared dr

Postby jhanson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 pm

If you want something primarily to play your own media, you picked the wrong device. The Roku box is an internet streaming device, not a media player.

Personally, I use Roksbox to play my video files, but that runs over HTTP instead of a file share. It works well enough for me, but all of my stuff is in MP4 format.
jhanson

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:08 pm

The Roku is absolutely the wrong thing for this application. It's a fantastic box for internet streaming, a decent box for playing compatible formats over a home network server, but it won't play most formats or play files that aren't served.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ViNDi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 pm

jhanson wrote: you picked the wrong device. The Roku box is an internet streaming device, not a media player.

Bummer... I'm surprised the XS2 doesn't natively support this typical need. I've setup PLEX, but only 1/4th of my videos show up and when I try to play them, the screen quickly flashes back to the playlist.
ViNDi

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

ViNDi wrote:
jhanson wrote: you picked the wrong device. The Roku box is an internet streaming device, not a media player.

Bummer... I'm surprised the XS2 doesn't natively support this typical need. I've setup PLEX, but only 1/4th of my videos show up and when I try to play them, the screen quickly flashes back to the playlist.

that's because they are not encoded correctly. That 1/4 is in the right container but either the parameters of the video or the audio track aren't what the Roku can play. Roku, as said, is awesome as an internet streamer but for local playback WD Live Plus it is not.......
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion