NHL Gamecenter Live

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: NHL Gamecenter Live

Postby DaBronx » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

I have not got the email yet but if $49.95 is their price then I too am gone after 45+ years as a fan of the NHL.

It's been a great run and a lot of fun. Lot's of great memories.

And for the record, Roku rocked the past two seasons for GameCenter, streams were stable and a joy to watch IMO.

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3, Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mcrin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 am

I'm sorry...but I don't get the reason to jump ship. If the full season price is $160, and a 48 game season is 58 percent..then the 'full' price for 58% of a season would be $92. So what they are offering is almost a 50% savings off of that.
mcrin

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

mcrin wrote:I'm sorry...but I don't get the reason to jump ship. If the full season price is $160, and a 48 game season is 58 percent..then the 'full' price for 58% of a season would be $92. So what they are offering is almost a 50% savings off of that.

It is quite simple. It is just not enough. The owners and players demonstrated an extreme contempt for the fans and the amount of this discount does not reach what I (and it is my threshold) determined to be what I need to partially forgive them.

I also will not be taking my two annual trips from Dayton to Nashville to attend a few games.

They can still draw me back but it will take an appearance of genuine contrition to do it and that is not the current discount.

I enjoy soccer as well, maybe even more, and there are online packages that have plenty of great soccer available and the MLS (Not as good as many leagues but OK) is even available on Roku. So far the MLS, and most soccer leagues available, have not screwed me bad enough to have me drop them. Also much soccer is available free without violating any copyrights. (I get ESPN3 for free through my ISP)

So far I have heard nothing from either the NHL or the players that even remotely sounds like a sufficient reason for me to return to being a fan.
Gilgamesh

Postby Ky-Fi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am

$50 if okay for me---I'll give it a shot.

I don't know, I don't really hold too much anger towards the NHL. Sure, I missed hockey being played, but the players and the owners were the dolts who lost millions of dollars in the lockout. I didn't lose a penny. Yeah, the league was pretty lame for not being able to come to an agreement, but no skin off my nose, really.
Ky-Fi

Postby mcrin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 am

I can certainly respect that decision, it's your money and you can certainly spend it where you like. No problem with that.

I've been messed with (94 strike, 04 lockout, moving the Thrashers, this year) but still remain a fan. I do think the league doesn't care about the casual fan. Do you think it's coincidence they awarded the '05 All Star game to Atlanta and the '13 All Star game to Columbus? I think the owners and Bettman knew full well those games would be canceled and awarding the game to those cities would have the least PR impact.

Still, it is the best game around so I'll put up with the owners and commissioner who I detest for the game I love.
mcrin

Postby nrosenquist » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi - I'm new here and haven't really scoured the forums so forgive me if this information has already been stated elsewhere.

Just wanted to add that I found out this morning via chat with NHL.com that the Roku app for Gamecenter Live channel in all likelihood will not be ready by this weekend for the start of the season. They were talking in terms of a couple weeks to be fully tested and ready. So, if you were hoping to sign up for Gamecenter or are on auto renew and you really want to watch through your Roku box as opposed to your computer or mobile, you will be frustrated for awhile. I wish I would have taken a screenshot of my chat session, but you can easily confirm this by opening a chat yourself.
nrosenquist

Postby oldcqr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Unbelievable.... I -DID- save my chat log:

Your Question: Unable to link ROKU to Game Center account -- there is no place to enter code on http://nhl.com/roku
Please wait, an operator will be with you shortly.
Your request is important to us. Please wait, an operator will be with you shortly.
Your request is important to us. Please wait, an operator will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with Aric C. - Customer Support
14:38Aric C.: Greetings, that version of the app would be from last year and the new app should be available within the next few weeks
14:38(me): One would hope it is available in the next 5 days since that is the start of the season, CORRECT?
14:39Aric C.: I can not guarantee that.
14:39(me): Then I want a refund for my purchase today and you can cancel my account.

How STUPID is that??
oldcqr

Postby DeftOne » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 pm

mcrin wrote:I'm sorry...but I don't get the reason to jump ship. If the full season price is $160, and a 48 game season is 58 percent..then the 'full' price for 58% of a season would be $92. So what they are offering is almost a 50% savings off of that.

I tend to agree. $50 seems like more than a fair price.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby DaBronx » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

I wrote to GameCenter Support through the nhl.com website and officially cancelled my auto-renewal so they don't charge my card. --brett

---

Hello Brett,

Your request about Billing Questions has been received at 01/14/2013 03:26 PM

Thank you for your inquiry. You have been removed from automatic renewal for the 2012/2013 Season for GameCenter Live per your request. We hope you enjoy your service with NHL.com

NHL Customer Web Support

Please do NOT reply to this Email. If the information listed in this email does not resolve your customer service issue, please call 866-210-6349.

---

and then a few minutes later:

---

Hello Brett,

Your request for cancellation of your auto renewal for the 2012/2013 season has been approved. If you have any more questions please let us know.

NHL Web Support

Please do NOT reply to this Email. If the information listed in this email does not resolve your customer service issue, please call 866-210-6349.

---
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3, Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Scorpi978a » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 pm

oldcqr wrote:Unbelievable.... I -DID- save my chat log:

Your Question: Unable to link ROKU to Game Center account -- there is no place to enter code on http://nhl.com/roku
14:38Aric C.: Greetings, that version of the app would be from last year and the new app should be available within the next few weeks
14:38(me): One would hope it is available in the next 5 days since that is the start of the season, CORRECT?
14:39(me): Then I want a refund for my purchase today and you can cancel my account.

How STUPID is that??

****' a. I wish I had seen this prior to me paying for it. What a horrible, horrible idea.

[Watch language, please. -- C Shawn Smith]
Scorpi978a

Postby rcrh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am

How STUPID is that??

I just had a similar chat with the NHL wherein they said it might be ready in the next week or so. COME ON! they've had an extra six months to get ready for the season. How can this app not be available now???

Wow, it's disappointing that such a great game has such a crap league running it.

Oh, and they tried to imply that it was Roku's fault for the delay. Nice.
rcrh

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 am

rcrh wrote:I just had a similar chat with the NHL wherein they said it might be ready in the next week or so. COME ON! they've had an extra six months to get ready for the season. How can this app not be available now???

Wow, it's disappointing that such a great game has such a crap league running it.

Oh, and they tried to imply that it was Roku's fault for the delay. Nice.

As far as having time to get ready. As I posted in another thread they probably fired everyone (or the consultant firm) involved at the end of last season knowing there would be a lockout and that there would be less than half a season. (No good faith negotiations took place untill at least December)

Now they need to find people that work cheap to get the Roku ch rolled out.

As far as it being Roku's fault: Most likely that was just the minimum wage drone on the other side of the conversation saying anything to get you to shut up and go away. He/she was probably off script at that point. As stupid and greedy as the NHL is I doubt they would instruct their drones to get into the finger pointing game as that would be counter productive.

Remember: Hanlon's Razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Gilgamesh

Postby SynGamer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am

How STUPID is that??

I had almost the exact same support conversation yesterday. I too canceled. I was told first that it won't be updated until JAN 21st at the earliest, and then the second chat I was told Feb 1st latest. If I can't watch the opening games this weekend, I'm not interested in the bait and switch.
SynGamer

Postby mcrin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 am

The only good news is that it appears the CenterIce package is going to be free between the 19th and 31st...so if you have a cable or satellite provider you at least will have that.

I got the Roku for Christmas and was planning on ditching the cable once I got the GCL package...guess I'll stay on the cable a bit longer.
mcrin

Postby SynGamer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am

mcrin wrote:The only good news is that it appears the CenterIce package is going to be free between the 19th and 31st...so if you have a cable or satellite provider you at least will have that.

I got the Roku for Christmas and was planning on ditching the cable once I got the GCL package...guess I'll stay on the cable a bit longer.

No cable for me. I was looking forward too and ready to pay for GCL...
SynGamer

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion