Walking Dead

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Walking Dead

Postby ganryu » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 pm

I've searched threads and couldn't find this topic discussed but I'm a huge fan of The Walking Dead and since I no longer have Directv is it possible to watch the new season on Hulu Plus or can you purchase episodes on Amazon Prime? worse case scenario I can watch at my brother's place but would prefer to enjoy the new season in the comforts of my own home.
ganryu

Re: Walking Dead

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:51 pm

for cable shows Hulu+ is pretty much worthless, they want to keep you paying for cable to see the shows. You can get the shows on Amazon VoD though. In fact I bought the 1st season on VoD for like $9.99. Great show
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Crow550 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:37 am

LOL no one uses the Off-Topic section.

Mods either advertise it or get rid of it. LOL! :lol:

The Off-Topic section is such a ghost town too. :P
Crow550

Postby ganryu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:11 am

Crow - why would you consider this an off topic thread? I'm asking a general question about programming on Roku. now if I wanted to talk about story line of the comic then yes, that would be the case.

Stratcat - thanks for the response, at least I know I can just pay to watch on Amazon. I'll avoid Hulu + then.
ganryu

Postby jeffrok » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:53 am

Crow550 wrote:LOL no one uses the Off-Topic section.

Mods either advertise it or get rid of it. LOL! :lol:

The Off-Topic section is such a ghost town too. :P

It's pretty much on topic- this person is asking if a certain show can be watched on his Roku.. If you think it's off-topic then you're really being strict with your usage of the word "Off-Topic".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby trothatl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:06 am

ganryu - You said you wanted to watch the current season, but only Season 1 is currently available on Amazon Instant Video. $9.99 for SD, $13.99 for HD. Or you can pay per episode. (By "current season", I assume you mean the shows advertised to be starting in October.)
trothatl

Postby ganryu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:19 am

trothal - yes, I meant season 2 starting in a few more weeks. that really is the only show I'm going to miss with not having Directv. if you can pay per episode on Amazon that would be perfect!
ganryu

Postby nushmut » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 am

ganryu wrote:trothal - yes, I meant season 2 starting in a few more weeks. that really is the only show I'm going to miss with not having Directv. if you can pay per episode on Amazon that would be perfect!

It'll almost certainly be there. I'm doing a season pass for Breaking Bad right now, and it's been great. It's not Blu-ray quality, but to my eye it looks much better than AMC on my parents' Comcast service. No macroblocking or pixelation that I can detect. And once I get surround sound for my apartment, it'll be great to have the 5.1 audio as well.

As for the money, it's a little weird paying by the episode at first, but in the long run it makes more financial sense for me. Along with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu+, the few shows I get through Amazon passes still end up costing me way less money than paying for HD cable. Enjoy!
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby ganryu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 am

that's awesome to hear nushmut, I certainly have no problems with paying for episodes. last year I paid over $83 a year to have Directv just so I could watch NHL Center Ice games and the Walking Dead. so paying per episode for shows and ordering the NHL Game Center through Roku sounds much better to me. I figure the quality will be an upgrade from AMC on Directv, not the best of picture quality. thanks to everyone for all their feedback.
ganryu

Postby jeffrok » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 am

ganryu wrote:that's awesome to hear nushmut, I certainly have no problems with paying for episodes. last year I paid over $83 a year to have Directv just so I could watch NHL Center Ice games and the Walking Dead. so paying per episode for shows and ordering the NHL Game Center through Roku sounds much better to me. I figure the quality will be an upgrade from AMC on Directv, not the best of picture quality. thanks to everyone for all their feedback.

I hope you meant $83 per month, not year.. Otherwise I'm switching to Directv!!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby mommom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:15 am

There is a new trailer out for WD,its linked on EZTV.

http://eztv.it/tvnews/5831/walking-dead ... -a-weapon/
mommom

Postby ganryu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 am

jeffrok wrote:
ganryu wrote:that's awesome to hear nushmut, I certainly have no problems with paying for episodes. last year I paid over $83 a year to have Directv just so I could watch NHL Center Ice games and the Walking Dead. so paying per episode for shows and ordering the NHL Game Center through Roku sounds much better to me. I figure the quality will be an upgrade from AMC on Directv, not the best of picture quality. thanks to everyone for all their feedback.

I hope you meant $83 per month, not year.. Otherwise I'm switching to Directv!!

lol - yep, meant $83 a month :lol: I had Directv for close to 12 yrs. so as you can imagine I've seen that bill jump up quite a bit.

thanks for posting the new trailer, I'm really looking forward to seeing where the storyline goes this season.
ganryu

Postby trothatl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am

nushmut wrote:
ganryu wrote:trothal - yes, I meant season 2 starting in a few more weeks. that really is the only show I'm going to miss with not having Directv. if you can pay per episode on Amazon that would be perfect!

It'll almost certainly be there...

I haven't followed any current-season series on Amazon. Do they make episodes available before the season is over? I'll have to pay closer attention - I just assumed that they wouldn't post until the season was over. It might be more obvious if they had a better user interface, but that topic has been covered in other threads.
trothatl

Postby samundsen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 am

Amazon generally makes episodes available the day after broadcast. This was the case for season 1 of The Walking Dead, as well as most other shows that I use Amazon for. HBO and Showtime excepted. Those are not available until the season is over (probably closer to DVD release).
samundsen

Postby Crow550 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 pm

ganryu wrote:Crow - why would you consider this an off topic thread? I'm asking a general question about programming on Roku. now if I wanted to talk about story line of the comic then yes, that would be the case.

Stratcat - thanks for the response, at least I know I can just pay to watch on Amazon. I'll avoid Hulu + then.

My bad. Sorry. I been real busy lately and couldn't sleep last night. I will re-read the OP of a thread next time. :wink: Sorry again. :|
Crow550

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion