Hulu Plus - near constant freeze/crashing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Hulu Plus - near constant freeze/crashing

Postby jasonkresge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Canceled my H+ account today and then signed up again for the 30-day trial. Hoping to troubleshoot the issue. The app will often crash during playback. It's slow to respond or simply will not respond to button presses (play/pause, home, back, etc.). This happens on both my Roku 2 XS and Roku 2 HD. I only have 6 channels installed, though I've gone down as low as 2. The XD has a 2GB MicroSD installed, the HD has no card. All otehr channels stream and respond just fine.

I've googled this and seen that it's common for Hulu to crash/malfunction on a Roku 2. I haven't seen a workaround. I've sent a ticket to Hulu support, but that was only a week ago and still no response. The app can sometimes go an hour or two without issues, and other times just be unwatchable.
jasonkresge

Re: Hulu Plus - near constant freeze/crashing

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:24 pm

jasonkresge wrote:Canceled my H+ account today and then signed up again for the 30-day trial. Hoping to troubleshoot the issue. The app will often crash during playback. It's slow to respond or simply will not respond to button presses (play/pause, home, back, etc.). This happens on both my Roku 2 XS and Roku 2 HD. I only have 6 channels installed, though I've gone down as low as 2. The XD has a 2GB MicroSD installed, the HD has no card. All otehr channels stream and respond just fine.

I've googled this and seen that it's common for Hulu to crash/malfunction on a Roku 2. I haven't seen a workaround. I've sent a ticket to Hulu support, but that was only a week ago and still no response. The app can sometimes go an hour or two without issues, and other times just be unwatchable.

Hulu+ is very sensitive to network speed changes in my experience (and the fact that yours works fine sometimes, and is unwatchable others, seems to fit). What's your network speed? Is XS connected via ethernet cable, or wireless? If wireless, try the cable and see if that improves the issue. You might also want to change wireless channels on your router and see if that fixes things.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DBDukes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 am

jasonkresge wrote:I've googled this and seen that it's common for Hulu to crash/malfunction on a Roku 2.

I've experienced issues with Hulu freezing on Roku 2, Roku 1, Hulu Desktop for Windows, and Hulu/PlayOn app for Roku. That is, it does that a lot, and not just on Roku devices.

The suggestion of mikebdoss that it's your network would fit this kind of pattern.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby mbratch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 am

DBDukes wrote:
jasonkresge wrote:I've googled this and seen that it's common for Hulu to crash/malfunction on a Roku 2.

I've experienced issues with Hulu freezing on Roku 2, Roku 1, Hulu Desktop for Windows, and Hulu/PlayOn app for Roku. That is, it does that a lot, and not just on Roku devices.

The suggestion of mikebdoss that it's your network would fit this kind of pattern.

The notion that HuluPlus might just plain suck also fits the pattern. My network is working fine, and HuluPlus still performs poorly on Roku.
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:55 am

mbratch wrote:
DBDukes wrote:

The notion that HuluPlus might just plain suck also fits the pattern. My network is working fine, and HuluPlus still performs poorly on Roku.

Yes, but the sucking might be directly related to network stability/speed (i.e., the channel is unstable when presented with inconsistent data speeds). I've never had any streaming problems with Hulu+ - my biggest problem is that the menu is slow to respond.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cablegobyebye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:36 pm

ummm,
This is now happening to me where it wasnt an issue a few weeks ago. I havent been on HULU in a couple weeks, bring it up to watch some new episodes of The Office and it freezes every 1 min or so? Whats the deal?
cablegobyebye

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion