Potential Roku Channel, WeatherNation TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Potential Roku Channel, WeatherNation TV

Postby aspyrider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Weather Nation launched a few weeks ago. http://weathernationtv.com/index
This is a new weather channel competing with "The Weather Channel" on cable & satellite. You can get this channel on your Roku via the Ustream private channel. (Install the UStream channel then search Weather Nation TV)

My question is this...

Can this channel be added to the Roku Newscaster? It would be great to have a live 24/7 weather channel on the Roku. Could this become an official channel?

I realize that you would need to negotiate with WN to get permission to broadcast this channel, I'm wondering if anyone at Roku has contacted them? I can't imagine they would not want to pick up a whole new audience via the Roku.

If Roku had a live 24/7 weather channel it would go a long way to competing with cable or satellite networks.

Can you guys look into this and get this weather channel on Roku officially?
Thanks,
Jay
aspyrider

Re: Potential Roku Channel, WeatherNation TV

Postby otis151 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 am

I actually worked for these guys when they first started up in March of 2010, I was VP Operations and I kept asking them to develop for Roku and an app. Instead they have still tried to follow the traditional broadcast model, I worked contract for them while we developed WeatherNation to compete head to head with the Weather Channel for the Dish Network. We actually supplanted the Weather Channel for 4 days. Perhaps a world record for a network. In the end we were just a chip in a huge corporate poker game, Dish forced the Weather Channel back to the table and got millions in givebacks and forced the Weather Channel to finally produce local forecasts. But I agree a Roku channel would be nice.
otis151

Postby kc8pql » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:57 am

I guess more is better but, there are already several good weather channels, public and private.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DeftOne » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 am

kc8pql wrote:I guess more is better but, there are already several good weather channels, public and private.

I know there are several weather "channels" for the Roku already, but they are all just weather information. I think the point of this thread is that Weather Nation TV is an actual 24/7 live video broadcast, like The Weather Channel on cable/satellite. I don't believe there is anything like this currently available on Roku, as far as I know anyway. It certainly would be a great addition.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby otis151 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:00 pm

DeftOne wrote:
kc8pql wrote:I guess more is better but, there are already several good weather channels, public and private.

I know there are several weather "channels" for the Roku already, but they are all just weather information. I think the point of this thread is that Weather Nation TV is an actual 24/7 live video broadcast, like The Weather Channel on cable/satellite. I don't believe there is anything like this currently available on Roku, as far as I know anyway. It certainly would be a great addition.

They are not live. Only live during severe weather. They record segments to a video server which assembles them in the proper playing order and then airs the segment in order.
otis151

Postby DeftOne » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:17 pm

otis151 wrote:They are not live. Only live during severe weather. They record segments to a video server which assembles them in the proper playing order and then airs the segment in order.

Thanks for the correction. Even if it's not "live", video forecasts and such would be still be an improvement and welcomed addition.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby otis151 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm

DeftOne wrote:
otis151 wrote:They are not live. Only live during severe weather. They record segments to a video server which assembles them in the proper playing order and then airs the segment in order.

Thanks for the correction. Even if it's not "live", video forecasts and such would be still be an improvement and welcomed addition.

I agree, it would be nice to have a weather channel. As I noted in an earlier post I worked for them once and the whole time tried to convince them to build a Roku channel and App's.
otis151

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:37 pm

DeftOne wrote:

I do not really care if there is another weather ch but I do think there are quite enough of them. I find the idea of "Video forecasts" and other talking head news type of shows a huge waste of time. I can read at least 50 times faster than these morons can read to me and that is all they do on the vast majority of weather/news programs.

As far as watching during severe weather I find that to be a simple waste of time that could be better spent either taking cover (in the rare case where the threat is real.) or doing just about anything else as the meat of the forecast is less than 10 seconds long.

I would really hope that the high quality developers that are making chs for the Roku make chs that are of real value instead of pablum like another weather ch would be.
Gilgamesh

Postby WardFamily » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 pm

This would be GREAT for Roku! I have sent my request.
http://lindenalabama.net
WardFamily

Postby WardFamily » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 pm

WeatherNation
I'm a weekend producer replying to you right now (hi!) so I don't know all the details of what is planned sometimes. This is one of those things that I know nothing about, therefore not qualified to give you (or anyone else) a proper response. I am sorry that no one else has answered any of these requests either! What I can say, though, is that I will make sure this gets forwarded to the right people and hopefully get you a proper response! I'll keep my ears open too and let you (and others) know if I hear something coming for Roku. Producer D.J.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/WeatherNation/posts/10150399175584874?notif_t=feed_comment
http://lindenalabama.net
WardFamily

Postby krisbee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:27 am

I have seen this show up on nowhereman's channel and is a nice addition. For me, I am satisfied with the Weather Underground channel for my wx, but if you are a junkie, you can get your fix - it loads fine and quick.
krisbee

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion