Best Router for Roku 2?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby jeffj318 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Hello All Roku Fans!

I am not set up yet with Roku. What is the best router to get for Roku 2?
My computer is on the second floor and my TV is on the lower lever. I am gathering Wi-Fi is the way to go unless you have some other ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff
jeffj318
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:40 pm

jeffj318 wrote:Hello All Roku Fans!

I am not set up yet with Roku. What is the best router to get for Roku 2?
My computer is on the second floor and my TV is on the lower lever. I am gathering Wi-Fi is the way to go unless you have some other ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff


Almost any new router meant for home use will work. Just make sure it's a "wireless router", and you'll be fine.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby sharpedge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:08 pm

I'd go wired if you have the option (and you have a Roku with an ethernet port), but I'm assuming you don't if the tv and and computer are on different floors.

What kind of internet do you have? If it's with a cable company you might be able to just move the modem downstairs to where your tv is, connect a wireless router to the modem, run an ethernet cable from your new router to the Roku and then use a cheap wifi usb dongle to connect your upstairs pc to the new wireless router.
sharpedge
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby KennyJ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Wireless N (802.11n) has the best range.
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4040
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby vandergraff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 pm

I did what sharpedge suggests a few years ago - works great.

I have my modem (DSL in my case) beside the family room TV with wired connections to Blu-Ray Player, XBOX360, HDTV and DirecTV HD DVR.

I then use a Wireless N router to connect the various PCs/laptops/iPod Touch/Airport express etc. This works well with the iPod Touch getting good connection all over the house and in the largish yard for Pandora streaming etc.

It seems to be the best layout with the devices needing the highest bandwidth (all HD video) connected wired.

My router is a Linksys/Cisco refurbished WRT160N bought from Amazon at $30. I actually found the router was slowing the connections over time and needed reboots once a week so I changed to the Tomato Firmware - since then the speed seems constant over time (and a little faster on average).

I have Verizon 7.1 Mbps DSL (which tests on Vudu speed test at ~6.1 Mbps). With the Tomato firmware I can see the actual bandwidth when using Netflix from the ROKU 2 XS - on HD/5.1 streams it is averaging around 5.2 Mbps which is consistant with what others have reported for Netflix 1080P/5.1 streams.
vandergraff
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby nnc3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 am

My Netgear N600 Dual Band WNDR3400 has been rock solid. I don't think either of my Roku HD-XRs has ever dropped the signal. However I must point out that the XR is dual band (meaning you can choose either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, if both are available) and I have both of them on the 5 GHz band. The Roku 2 models don't have dual band capability, so you'll be on the 2.4 GHz band. So you wouldn't necessarily need to purchase a dual band router. You should be fine with almost any new or recent vintage mid-level Wireless N router.
nnc3
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby jeffj318 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions! :D
jeffj318
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby jeffj318 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:20 pm

I am a newbie .... can I have a good streaming experience with 150 mbps or should I opt for 300 mbps if available?
If 150 is okay then I can save some cash. Thanks for suggestions.
jeffj318
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm

jeffj318 wrote:I am a newbie .... can I have a good streaming experience with 150 mbps or should I opt for 300 mbps if available?
If 150 is okay then I can save some cash. Thanks for suggestions.



you must mean 1.5mbs vs. 3.0 mbs, I'm not sure if you could even get something 150mbs or 300mbs. That said, 1.5mb/s is sufficient in most cases if it's stable and will get you a decent SD quality picture on Netflix. If you go to 3.0mb/s you will get HD from Netflix in most cases (along with Amazon, etc) and will be able to be on the net with a computer as well without (severely) affecting your Roku's streaming. In the event that there is a bit of network congestion, having 3.0mb/s will enable you to have enough leeway that you can still stream without issue as well.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby vandergraff » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:51 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
jeffj318 wrote:I am a newbie .... can I have a good streaming experience with 150 mbps or should I opt for 300 mbps if available?
If 150 is okay then I can save some cash. Thanks for suggestions.



you must mean 1.5mbs vs. 3.0 mbs, I'm not sure if you could even get something 150mbs or 300mbs. That said, 1.5mb/s is sufficient in most cases if it's stable and will get you a decent SD quality picture on Netflix. If you go to 3.0mb/s you will get HD from Netflix in most cases (along with Amazon, etc) and will be able to be on the net with a computer as well without (severely) affecting your Roku's streaming. In the event that there is a bit of network congestion, having 3.0mb/s will enable you to have enough leeway that you can still stream without issue as well.


He is talking about wireless data rates.

150mps will be fine if you really get it (you only need around 10 mbps or less)

It will depend a lot on the signal strength you get and if there is interference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
vandergraff
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:07 pm

vandergraff wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:
jeffj318 wrote:I am a newbie .... can I have a good streaming experience with 150 mbps or should I opt for 300 mbps if available?
If 150 is okay then I can save some cash. Thanks for suggestions.



you must mean 1.5mbs vs. 3.0 mbs, I'm not sure if you could even get something 150mbs or 300mbs. That said, 1.5mb/s is sufficient in most cases if it's stable and will get you a decent SD quality picture on Netflix. If you go to 3.0mb/s you will get HD from Netflix in most cases (along with Amazon, etc) and will be able to be on the net with a computer as well without (severely) affecting your Roku's streaming. In the event that there is a bit of network congestion, having 3.0mb/s will enable you to have enough leeway that you can still stream without issue as well.


He is talking about wireless data rates.

150mps will be fine if you really get it (you only need around 10 mbps or less)

It will depend a lot on the signal strength you get and if there is interference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11


lol well, suffice to say that even the lowliest wireless B router will support any bandwidth capability he has and that number is really inconsequential when it comes to real-world application. For avoidance of possible distance-related issues, you can cheaply now days pick up a wireless N router from just about any store that sells computer products. I think Walmart carries some Belkins starting around $25 or $30. The important thing is to consider the internet bandwidth to ensure you have the capacity to support the streaming experience you're looking for
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:37 am

The only thing I have to add is

1- go wireless. There's really no reason not to unless you live in a school dorm or crowded apartment highrise with many online neighbors.
2- don't pay more than 50 dollars for it because the enhanced features on the expensive models aren't really needed for home users
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 am

mkiker2089 wrote:The only thing I have to add is

1- go wireless. There's really no reason not to unless you live in a school dorm or crowded apartment highrise with many online neighbors.
2- don't pay more than 50 dollars for it because the enhanced features on the expensive models aren't really needed for home users


I do not agree with #1 as wireless is simply subject to too many issues that effect streaming reliability.

However do get a wireless capable router as they are about the same price as wired only ones and allow for flexibility and expansion to wireless only devices. Most wireless routers now sold include at least 4 wired ports.

If you don't already have your Roku 2 get the top end one as it is the only new Roku with a wired port. Roku chose to leave that off the lesser models.

For reliability connect everything you can wired.
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:25 pm

All I can say about wireless is that results may vary. I see wireless internet the same as cell phones, sure a land line in theory is better but my cell works fine anywhere I take it. Just like my wireless works fine. I live in a low density urban area where the houses are about 15-20 feet apart. I can detect at times other networks but there is a clear enough channel that my internet is a solid 10 mbps. It used to be faster but the change was on TW end. A hard wired connection for me is the same speed as my wireless connection. That's something N routers seem to be good at and I followed my own advice about bought the ~40 dollar model.

I will say having the option to go wired is never bad in itself. Some people run Cat5 to every room just in case. If you have a full basement it would be a breeze. I have a crawl space and don't want to crawl in it. I abhor wires running across floors and around the walls but with clever furniture placement even that can be worked out.

Don't let anyone talk you into spending a lot on a router. The "genius" at Radio Shack insisted that I needed a more expensive router because she read the boxes when I walked over to them. When netflix increases the bitrate 10 fold maybe, but that won't ever happen. Heck, you could send an uncompressed BR disc across the cheap routers. We are at a point where the router shouldn't be the bottleneck probably for our lifetime.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Best Router for Roku 2?

Postby DBDukes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 pm

One thing that nobody has mentioned is, if you go wireless, be sure to set up security for it. WPA2 [*edited], for example, would be good.

I'm amazed at the number of open wireless networks that people run, allowing others to jump on and "steal" bandwidth. In 2011, one would think everyone knows to do that, but, alas, that's not the case, as I am constantly reminded.

There are still lots of people that don't run anti-virus software, or any kind of security -- and I'm talking on Windows machines, not just Macs (don't get me started on Mac owners that think they don't need to take precautions) -- so no wireless security shouldn't be a surprise to me, either.

Anyway, just thought the "goes without saying" should be said.
Last edited by DBDukes on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Phenix City, AL

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sclaysd and 18 guests