Roku 1 vs Roku 2?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku 1 vs Roku 2?

Postby jdjeff » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 am

Ok....Back in May, I purchased "Roku XDS Streaming Player 1080p". I just jumped on the Roku bus so my first question is an indication of my ignorance. Is this Roku 1?

Having 2 TV's...both delapidated technology of Sony 1080i with HDMI inputs (and I refuse to replace them), I only bought one Roku device in May 2011 to basically test the technology vs. my older HD TV. Well, as it turns out, my Verizon technology is obsolete at at max speeds of 2.5Mbps down and 700kbps up. But the way I fell into the Roku market was having a desire to watch old TV shows from Netflix. So there's no real disappointment there. Satisfied with the performance (once I used a network cable instead of wireless), I decided to buy another. Lo and behold, there's no "Roku XDS Streaming Player 1080p" available on Amazon. So I bought a clearly marked Roku 2 (Roku 2 XS Streaming Player 1080p).

I'm sure these questions have come up, at least in some peoples' minds, but I was wondering about a side by side comparison of Roku 1 vs Roku 2. I know Angry Birds is bundled with the newer version. But I'm a little stumped on the rest of the feature comparisons. I saw that there is adaptive technology on the Roku 2. But there are times when I've noticed this happening on my XDS. Is the adaptive stuff happening on the Netflix end? Because there is an obvious change in picture quality when I'm ftp'ing stuff to my website.....and then it reverts back to a higher quality when internet activity ceases from my home network. So, I'm not understanding this upgraded feature. Then I see that Roku 2 is boasting support for 'up to' HD 1080p. Doesn't the old version do the same thing? Is the old/new Roku backwards compatible to us cheapskates with 1080i? I notice in the setup of the old Roku, it's not very clear where I need to place this setting on my TV.

Having already been through all the levels of Angry Birds, I'm not really chomping at the bit for this loaded game. I'm just trying to figure out on which TV I want to place the new Roku and which TV I want to place the old Roku. As it stands, the old Roku is on the TV that I will continue to watch the most...the one in my bedroom. And this is a sinlge person household. So only one TV will be streaming at a time.
jdjeff

Re: Roku 1 vs Roku 2?

Postby false1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 am

I've got both boxes. Not seeing a whole lot of advantage with the Roku 2. In fact I'm a bit disappointed with it. I don't really like that adaptive streaming. Sure I don't get the rebuffering screen, but I rarely got that anyway. Now the screen starts out fuzzy every time I rewind or fast forward the vid which I find extremely annoying. The wireless streaming seems less robust as well. Ruku 2 works way better when plugged into ethernet, but you'll need the top o the line model as they inexplicably removed ethernet from the less expensive models. Worst is they somehow botched the video output so that it loses detail in the dark areas. A fix is supposedly coming but as of now I can't watch movies that are shot in alot of dark areas. I'm waiting to see if we get a good firmware fix by the end of the month, if not I'm Ebaying my XS, picking up one of last years models, and saving a couple bucks to boot.
false1

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 am

false1 wrote:I've got both boxes. Not seeing a whole lot of advantage with the Roku 2. In fact I'm a bit disappointed with it. I don't really like that adaptive streaming. Sure I don't get the rebuffering screen, but I rarely got that anyway. Now the screen starts out fuzzy every time I rewind or fast forward the vid which I find extremely annoying. The wireless streaming seems less robust as well. Ruku 2 works way better when plugged into ethernet, but you'll need the top o the line model as they inexplicably removed ethernet from the less expensive models. Worst is they somehow botched the video output so that it loses detail in the dark areas. A fix is supposedly coming but as of now I can't watch movies that are shot in alot of dark areas. I'm waiting to see if we get a good firmware fix by the end of the month, if not I'm Ebaying my XS, picking up one of last years models, and saving a couple bucks to boot.

Interesting I was chalking up the lack of shadow detail in dark areas, of darkly lit shots, to my TV - an inexpensive Bravia 40” not my Roku2 XD. How did you determine this is a Roku2 firmware issue, of which a fix is coming?

For the life of me I have not been able to get my TV tweaked for dark scene/shadow detail to anywhere near my satisfaction. I’m certainly not going to spend $400 for ISF calibration on a $575 TV. I have not been able to decided if I should get the:
-Sony WOW
-Spear and Munsil, or
-DVE calibration disk

There seem to be serious pos. and neg. ratings for each.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby socantra » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:16 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:..............................
Interesting I was chalking up the lack of shadow detail in dark areas, of darkly lit shots, to my TV - an inexpensive Bravia 40” not my Roku2 XD. How did you determine this is a Roku2 firmware issue, of which a fix is coming?

For the life of me I have not been able to get my TV tweaked for dark scene/shadow detail to anywhere near my satisfaction.........................

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42139
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:02 am

socantra wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:..............................

For the life of me I have not been able to get my TV tweaked for dark scene/shadow detail to anywhere near my satisfaction.........................

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42139

Thanks, just noticed this thread as I was scrolling.
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:02 am

false1 wrote:I've got both boxes. Not seeing a whole lot of advantage with the Roku 2. In fact I'm a bit disappointed with it.

My opinion of the Roku 2 is in agreement with yours. I own one Roku 2 XS unit, two Roku XD|S units, and previously but gave to a friend, one Roku HD-XR unit. Besides being uglier than the previous units, in many ways the Roku 2 XS unit appears inferior to the Roku XD|S units. The Roku XD|S units rarely have problems with any channels whereas the Roku 2 XS has problems with several channels; e.g., JustinTV. The Roku XD|S unit's non adaptive streaming functionality of the Netflix channel is much more to my liking than the Roku 2 XS unit's adaptive streaming. And wireless Ethernet with the Roku 2 XS unit has been a no-go since day one of its installation; wireless Ethernet has never been a problem with the Roku XD|S and HD-XR units. Oh, well. Patiently waiting for a firmware fix too.

On the other hand, I have to give Roku a bit of praise on all their units.

I recently purchased and installed a Netgear NeoTV NTV200-100NAS. What a major disappointment! Extremely slow in response. After the main screen, the unit's UI gets really sucky. Its selection of channels is not that great. And I have to press its remote control's buttons several times before the unit will react. Compared to the Roku units, the Netgear NTV200 is a complete waste of eighty bucks.

I also own a Sony SMP-N100 and a Sony DMX-NV1 (all my televisions are old Sony models). Both units work rock-solidly, but their UI is horrible to navigate and their selection of channels is poor and limited. Against the Sony units, Roku wins the gold in contests of UI and channel selections.

So, in the end, in my opinion, despite all their flaws, the Roku units are the best stand-alone Streaming Player boxes on the market today. But still, the Roku 2 XS is a disappointment compared to the Roku XD|S.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby jdjeff » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:35 am

CalvinMcGowan wrote:But still, the Roku 2 XS is a disappointment compared to the Roku XD|S.

So, it appears by some of the darkness/adaptive issues, the Roku 2 is a step in the wrong direction?...like backwards? What's up with that?
jdjeff

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:42 am

jdjeff wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:But still, the Roku 2 XS is a disappointment compared to the Roku XD|S.

So, it appears by some of the darkness/adaptive issues, the Roku 2 is a step in the wrong direction?...like backwards? What's up with that?

In my opinion, yes, the Roku 2 units are a step backwards in quality. To me, they appear poorly designed and manufactured using cheaper components than what was used in previous models.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:45 am

jdjeff wrote:

Retail price competition with the other players, while retaining profit margins as evidenced by the dropping of the ethernet port for all but the top end R2.

Dropping wired ethernet for the streaming of HD video? What else can one conclude - and I’m a big supporter of Roku.
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby kc8pql » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:52 am

I think they dropped wired connections because research showed that the vast majority of users connect by wireless. The posts on this forum seem to back that up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:47 pm

kc8pql wrote:I think they dropped wired connections because research showed that the vast majority of users connect by wireless. The posts on this forum seem to back that up.

That makes sense. I guess I’m biased because my set up won’t do 1080p wirelessly with my Roku2. The most intelligent speculation seems to indicate interference, which in all fairness isn’t Roku’s fault. Just wish I had the option for wired ethernet on the box. I don’t know that there is that much PQ difference, if any, with the 720p display setting I’m using currently from having had it set to 1080p.

I hadn’t even considered that wireless 1080p was the norm. Thanks for your input.
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby jdjeff » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:50 pm

kc8pql wrote:I think they dropped wired connections because research showed that the vast majority of users connect by wireless. The posts on this forum seem to back that up.

I had to drop the wireless connection due to performance problems. It's even in a thread describing what to do for performance issues. Luckily, I ordered the wired version of Roku 2.

Oh well, if it doesn't work out, at least Amazon takes returns. I'm just wondering if all the disappointment is that the Roku 2 is not better than what people expected....or if it's truly worse than the Roku 1.

And if all else fails, I cold get a Roku 1 on ebay. They are only going for $316 (plus shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roku-XDS-Stream ... 256852f411
jdjeff

Postby kc8pql » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:06 pm

Having both R1's and an R2, I like the R2 better myself. Nicer UI, more memory, Netflix adaptive bitrate streaming is a step forward I think, and I like the R2 IR remote better than the last 2 versions.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby kc8pql » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 pm

jdjeff wrote:
And if all else fails, I cold get a Roku 1 on ebay. They are only going for $316 (plus shipping)

...or you can still get the R1 XD and XDS from Roku for $79.95 and $99.95 respectively with free shipping.

https://shop.roku.com/accessories-all.
Last edited by kc8pql on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc8pql

Postby jdjeff » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:13 pm

kc8pql wrote:
jdjeff wrote:

...or you can still get the R1 XD and XDS from Roku for $79.95 and $99.95 respectively with free shopping.

https://shop.roku.com/accessories-all.

Well...that's a relief. I was assuming it was discontinued since it's no longer available on Amazon AND it's selling at ridiculous prices out on the street.
jdjeff

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion