Is Roku 2 worth it?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Is Roku 2 worth it?

Postby Andy4464 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Right now I have 1 Roku 1 box but November 1st I am turning off Directv due to cost and was gonna get 2 Roku 2 boxes so all 3 rooms would have entertainment in it so is Roku 2 worth it or would I be better off getting 2 Roku 1 boxes off e bay?
Andy4464

Re: Is Roku 2 worth it?

Postby Ing5 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Roku still sells the Roku-1. The XD is $80 and the XDS is $100.

Check the accessories listing:
http://www.roku.com/accessories
Ing5

Postby krisbee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:53 am

I have both, and to me, unless you need wired ethernet and svideo, get the roku2. The adaptive streaming is great (people complain about the first 30secs looking like poo, but they have never had a glitch in the middle of a movie and your netflix stream downgrade and never come back up untill you pull the plug), you can have games, the box has more memory, and to me, is more responsive.

I know it has been glitchy, but Roku has been diligent in squashing those bugs, and to me there aren't many left. I have run out of memory on the roku1 and it is a drag to have to limit yourself. Plus, there might be channels in the future that ONLY run on the roku2. AND, you already have a roku1, so in a pinch, you can just use that one if something doesn't play in the meantime.
krisbee

Postby KennyJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I like it. Playing Angry birds on the big screen is fun. I don't need NF subtitles and can't decode DD+, so the Netflix enhancements don't really do much for me. The new way of handling channel storage is nice -- not having to worry about having too many channels is great.

Overall, I'm happy with the Roku2. With that said, if I didn't need/want an extra Roku (i.e. for another TV), I don't think I would buy a Roku 2 for just the upgrade -- at least not yet. It'll be interesting to see what else comes to the Roku 2 (games, etc) that won't be available for the older models.
KennyJ

Postby jambandit7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Get the Roku2, you will not be sorry.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
jambandit7

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion