Roku player not showing up on network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku player not showing up on network

Postby jmblack6307 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 am

I have 2 rokus on my home network that connect to my wireless linksys. They both stream ok, but, only one of them is recognized by my network. The 2nd one is showing up as unknown device. How can I fix this?
jmblack6307

Re: Roku player not showing up on network

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:16 am

I would venture that, since the Rokus are working correctly, then you need to do nothing to "fix" the problem as the problem does not really exist. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

You could try a factory reset on the non-identifying Roku but that does not seem to be needed as it is working.
Gilgamesh

Postby jmblack6307 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:23 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I would venture that, since the Rokus are working correctly, then you need to do nothing to "fix" the problem as the problem does not really exist. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

You could try a factory reset on the non-identifying Roku but that does not seem to be needed as it is working.

The reason I wanted to fix it is because I want to verify that the unknown device is actually the roku and not my network compromised. Its just annoying me. :oops:
jmblack6307

Postby kc8pql » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:27 am

^ Unplug them one at and see if the unknown device disappears.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:46 pm

jmblack6307 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I would venture that, since the Rokus are working correctly, then you need to do nothing to "fix" the problem as the problem does not really exist. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

The reason I wanted to fix it is because I want to verify that the unknown device is actually the roku and not my network compromised. Its just annoying me. :oops:

How can you tell that you have an unknown device in your network? Did you check the DHCP client table in your router GUI?
If so, the Roku player is usually labelled as NP-(serial number of your Roku player).
I checked my router and enabled MAC filtering and noticed it. I always knew this information would come in handy. :wink:

Or if you want to get down and dirty, you can use a Windows based computer and check the IP of all the devices connected to your network.
Just open the command prompt and enter the command "apr -a". It will then show the MAC address off all the devices in the network along with their respective IP address.
This is a bit tedious, so I would suggest that you sign in your router GUI. :lol:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby jmblack6307 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:30 pm

RickRansom wrote:
jmblack6307 wrote:

How can you tell that you have an unknown device in your network? Did you check the DHCP client table in your router GUI?
If so, the Roku player is usually labelled as NP-(serial number of your Roku player).
I checked my router and enabled MAC filtering and noticed it. I always knew this information would come in handy. :wink:

Or if you want to get down and dirty, you can use a Windows based computer and check the IP of all the devices connected to your network.
Just open the command prompt and enter the command "apr -a". It will then show the MAC address off all the devices in the network along with their respective IP address.
This is a bit tedious, so I would suggest that you sign in your router GUI. :lol:

I was using the windows network map and it showed a question mark. I figured it was the 2nd roku. Found out it wasn't. Still not sure what it was. Been having issues with my windows 7 laptop showing stuff on my network that isn't mine. I did find out that only my original roku (don't remember the model) shows up on my network map, but, the little purple LT roku, does not. It can see it in my router, just not on my laptop.

Thanks for the info regarding the NP serial numbers on the roku. Didn't know that. Both of mine do have that label.

Guess I won't worry about the purple LT not showing up in the map, since its working like a charm. Im impressed with it so far. It runs cooler than the other rokus I have had as well. :D
jmblack6307

Postby RickRansom » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Just curious though, is your network secured or not?
As long as it is, you shouldn't have to worry about other devices connecting unless somebody gave away your password.

That, or some people from the FBI are outside your doorstep tapping in on your Wi-Fi. :wink:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby jmblack6307 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:05 am

RickRansom wrote:Just curious though, is your network secured or not?
As long as it is, you shouldn't have to worry about other devices connecting unless somebody gave away your password.

That, or some people from the FBI are outside your doorstep tapping in on your Wi-Fi. :wink:

It's as secure as I know how to make it. I have always used wpa2 encryption and never broadcast my ssid. Also, use the mac filter.

I just ocd too much on my electronics. :oops: :)
jmblack6307

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion