Setting up 2nd roku 2 (can i carry roku 1's settings?)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Setting up 2nd roku 2 (can i carry roku 1's settings?)

Postby FTLOSM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 pm

I bought two roku 2 xs unit and today i setup the first one went thru all the channels added stuff we were interested in removed a few duds added a few private channels got it pretty well setup but it took a while to do all that, i still have the 2nd box to hook up here but would like basically the same channels / configuration on that 2nd box, i doubt it but is there anyway to just somehow copy or move the box settings from roku 1 to roku 2 so I don't have to manually write down and re-add every channel on box 2?

Hope this made sense, it would go faster for box 2 now that I have played with the first one for a good 4-5 hrs tonight but still would be a bit of work to setup the second box one channel at a time...

Bill
FTLOSM

Re: Setting up 2nd roku 2 (can i carry roku 1's settings?)

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 pm

FTLOSM wrote:I bought two roku 2 xs unit and today i setup the first one went thru all the channels added stuff we were interested in removed a few duds added a few private channels got it pretty well setup but it took a while to do all that, i still have the 2nd box to hook up here but would like basically the same channels / configuration on that 2nd box, i doubt it but is there anyway to just somehow copy or move the box settings from roku 1 to roku 2 so I don't have to manually write down and re-add every channel on box 2?

Hope this made sense, it would go faster for box 2 now that I have played with the first one for a good 4-5 hrs tonight but still would be a bit of work to setup the second box one channel at a time...

Bill

As long as they're linked to the same account, they'll share the same channels.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Mark12547 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

That is, the same roku.com account.
Mark12547

Postby FTLOSM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 pm

That's great news!

Is it possible too if i added a 3rd unit down the road to go into that one and remove channels too (that 3rd one would be in our family room) I would probably just have it setup for a few basics and netflix for the kids movies, but if i set it up it would have the same as the other 2 rokus but can i edit (remove some channels) on only that 3rd unit without effecting the other two rokus? (Sorry im so new to this) but so far pretty cool setup, I think netflix, roku free stuff and OTA HD thru my media center should cover our tv bases, first day and all but think once we get it all going the call to directv is coming to say BYE BYE!
FTLOSM

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm

No, the same lineup of channels will be present on each Roku attached to the one account. The only way to have a separate channel line up is to link that Roku to its own account
stratcat96

Postby FTLOSM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 pm

I wonder if I created a second roku acct (in say wifes name) if i would still be able to access my one netflix acct thru both roku accts...

I do realize if i bought any roku content it would only exist on one of those two roku accts (understand that) just wish they would allow for you to edit the channels on your multiple rokus, what I would let the 11 yr old watch in family room is different from what wife and I might wanna watch later at night if i added a roku in the bedroom down the road, I could see mutliple roku houses wanting different channels based on different ages and interests per room or viewers within the house etc.

Worst case if it didnt' work with my one netflix acct to work on the two roku accts, could i just close the 2nd roku acct and add that 3rd box to the first roku acct?

Made me wonder too about buying a used roku, if someone else registered it first what would i have to do as the new owner to add it to my acct...

Bill
FTLOSM

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:10 am

FTLOSM wrote:I wonder if I created a second roku acct (in say wifes name) if i would still be able to access my one netflix acct thru both roku accts...

I do realize if i bought any roku content it would only exist on one of those two roku accts (understand that) just wish they would allow for you to edit the channels on your multiple rokus, what I would let the 11 yr old watch in family room is different from what wife and I might wanna watch later at night if i added a roku in the bedroom down the road, I could see mutliple roku houses wanting different channels based on different ages and interests per room or viewers within the house etc.

Worst case if it didnt' work with my one netflix acct to work on the two roku accts, could i just close the 2nd roku acct and add that 3rd box to the first roku acct?

Made me wonder too about buying a used roku, if someone else registered it first what would i have to do as the new owner to add it to my acct...

Bill

You can link up to 50 devices to any one Netflix account
stratcat96

Postby FTLOSM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 am

Wondered if anyone with hulu plus could chime in, if i was to register two rokus separately (so each could have different channels assigned to them) if i was to get hulu plus would that be similar to netflix where i could put it on both of the rokus without issues since they are two separate roku accts?
FTLOSM

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:56 am

FTLOSM wrote:Wondered if anyone with hulu plus could chime in, if i was to register two rokus separately (so each could have different channels assigned to them) if i was to get hulu plus would that be similar to netflix where i could put it on both of the rokus without issues since they are two separate roku accts?

You can, it's no problem at all. All the larger services allow you to have accounts on multiple devices.
mikebdoss

Postby ronfelder » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:58 am

Even though box 2 will have the same channels as box 1 you'll have to relink Netflix, Amazon and other channels that require a sign in.
Last edited by ronfelder on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby kc8pql » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 pm

ronfelder wrote:... you'll atoll have to think ...

...you'll still have to link... :wink:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby ronfelder » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 pm

kc8pql wrote:
ronfelder wrote:... you'll atoll have to think ...

...you'll still have to link... :wink:

Thanks writing on an Android.Edited out errors.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby FTLOSM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:51 pm

You guys have all been super helpful here, I sure hope i can take this to the next level and ditch cable soon....
FTLOSM

Postby catastrophegirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm

i have what might be considered a slightly complicated setup for a variety of rokus

roku.com account #1: N1000 has its own account since it can only hold a few [23] channels and it runs my netflix, amazon VOD and my hulu plus account
roku.com account #2: roku XD/s #1, my friend's roku XD/s #2 at HER HOUSE, my roku2 xs.
-- XD/s #1 and roku2 xs are on my netflix, amazon VOD and my hulu plus. XD/s #2 is on her netflix and amazon VOD [and my hulu plus, oops!] but it's on MY roku.com account because she bought her XD/s post youtube removal and that was the only way we could get youtube on her roku.
and yeah, it's set up with a PIN for paid channels so she can't charge stuff to me.
when my soon to be roommate moves in this january she's going to put her netflix account on the N1000 but the rest of it will remain on my account.
if you could follow that convoluted mess you can see that the channel linking is completely unrelated to the roku.com account for channels that you pay for outside of the roku accounting system. but if i bought a roku game with my remote on my roku, i'd have to pay for it again to get it on the second account.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby FTLOSM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:05 pm

My goal here is to ditch the $106 satellite bill, go with netflix, hulu plus, and amazon prime (with an ota antenna and my pc media center to catch some local hd stuff) and still end up paying less than $30 monthly combined. We have a kindle fire and iphones so the prime and netflix stuff is super nice for those too, hulu i havent actually bought yet (might be able to do on the kindle and iphone too), but I will be doing all that very soon, just gotta show wife she won't miss her favs (not even that many really) but just to get her onboard with it all and how it works since its still really new to us.

1 roku livingroom 1 family room & then 1 more in daughters room eventually (same acct)
eventually 1 more roku master bedroom (different acct for different channels i dont want shared in livingroom family room)

And on all 4 i will do the netflix, hulu and amazon prime thing if it will let me (sounds like im good tho), roku wise nothing i see that I have to have $$ wise yet crackle snagfilms, break and a few others keeping me busy for the moment outside of the amazon and netflix as well, directv can kiss my booty, i was mad when they dropped G4tv and I love cnet so finding all these tech related things on the roku is reallllllly neat for me....
FTLOSM

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion