no hdmi audio with amazon prime only

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

no hdmi audio with amazon prime only

Postby shellys » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 pm

I've been lurking on the forum for some time now and thank everyone for the helpful information.

I have the Roku hdmi running straight to my tv and the optical audio running to my audio receiver. I do not have any audio on my tv via hdmi with amazon prime. There is audio on the tv with netflix and all of my other video streaming channels. Only amazon prime has no sound.

So it seems that it is not a problem with my hdmi cable or the Roku box.

I do have 5.1 sound via the optical outlet on my Roku which runs to my audio system so I can listen to the amazon prime movies through the audio system but not through my tv.

Video is perfect with amazon prime as with all the other channels on my box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Shelly
shellys

Re: no hdmi audio with amazon prime only

Postby philsoft » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 pm

shellys wrote:I've been lurking on the forum for some time now and thank everyone for the helpful information.

I have the Roku hdmi running straight to my tv and the optical audio running to my audio receiver. I do not have any audio on my tv via hdmi with amazon prime. There is audio on the tv with netflix and all of my other video streaming channels. Only amazon prime has no sound.

I do have 5.1 sound via the optical outlet on my Roku which runs to my audio system so I can listen to the amazon prime movies through the audio system but not through my tv.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Shelly

If this is with 5.1 content on Amazon, then it may be that your TV can not decode the 5.1 stream.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby shellys » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks for your input. I was under the impression that the 5.1 audio was being converted to 2.0 to the tv from the Roku box. I also thought that my Netflix movies were 5.1 yet played through the tv.

I now realize that it is my newer Roku 2 box in another room plays Netflix 5.1 but my original first generation Roku box in the den only does 2.0 from Netflix. That's why the audio comes through the hdmi to the tv from Netflix.

The other 5.1 content that comes through the tv through hdmi is from my Dish hd receiver that does output a DD/PCM (analog audio) audio stream at the same time.

I checked with some 2.0 movies in Amazon prime, like Nell, and these did indeed play through the tv.

You are absolutely correct. thank you.

Shelly
shellys

Postby reckelator2000 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:30 am

Netlfix streams find over 5.1 from Roku Xs but I had to switch Amazon prime movies to stereo for their to be sound.
reckelator2000

Postby __5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Last edited by __5 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
__5

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 pm

reckelator2000 wrote:Netlfix streams find over 5.1 from Roku Xs but I had to switch Amazon prime movies to stereo for their to be sound.

not all movies from Amazon are in 5.1, only the HD ones that note Surround sound is available. If the movie you are streaming from Amazon is in stereo only, you won't get any sound unless the Roku is set to stereo.
stratcat96

Postby philsoft » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
reckelator2000 wrote:Netlfix streams find over 5.1 from Roku Xs but I had to switch Amazon prime movies to stereo for their to be sound.

not all movies from Amazon are in 5.1, only the HD ones that note Surround sound is available. If the movie you are streaming from Amazon is in stereo only, you won't get any sound unless the Roku is set to stereo.

I don't think that is correct. I have my Roku set to 5.1 and I get sound on stereo only titles.
philsoft

Postby hozedhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Are any shows or movies on Prime available in 5.1 and how can I find out?
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby socantra » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 pm

hozedhead wrote:Are any shows or movies on Prime available in 5.1 and how can I find out?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/faq
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby hozedhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I don't think they have any titles that stream 5.1 unless you pay for a rental. Does the Roku have to be set to HD in order to see this stuff? I get nothing but the MPAA rating in SD.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby __5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:50 pm

shellys wrote:I've been lurking on the forum for some time now and thank everyone for the helpful information.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Shelly

You should get a sound from TV speakers when streaming from Amazon any title in 5.1 or stereo regardless how you set the ‘Audio mode’ in Roku’s Home settings to ‘Stereo’ or ‘5.1 sound’ – same goes for Roku2.

Check if your Roku1 has the latest firmware version (3.1 b1011)

Audio: > Tip: Amazon Stereo Sound From TV Speakers,

Good luck!
__5

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion