Can Roksbox & Playon be set up to access a dedicated server?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Can Roksbox & Playon be set up to access a dedicated server?

Postby caspari862 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Can the Roku be set up to access a dedicated sever instead of my Home computer? Im not comfortable setting up a server on my home computer. No matter what people say its just not safe. I do have a dedicated server online though. I know the average person doesnt have one, but for those of us that do it would be a better option than having a server on your home computer.
caspari862

Re: Can Roksbox & Playon be set up to access a dedicated ser

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm

caspari862 wrote:Can the Roku be set up to access a dedicated sever instead of my Home computer? Im not comfortable setting up a server on my home computer. No matter what people say its just not safe. I do have a dedicated server online though. I know the average person doesnt have one, but for those of us that do it would be a better option than having a server on your home computer.

Why would a remote computer be any safer than one in your house?

To answer your question, most of the channels that allow you to access your own content also allow you to specify an IP address, and the Roku likely doesn't care if that IP address is local or remote.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby caspari862 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
caspari862 wrote:Can the Roku be set up to access a dedicated sever instead of my Home computer? Im not comfortable setting up a server on my home computer. No matter what people say its just not safe. I do have a dedicated server online though. I know the average person doesnt have one, but for those of us that do it would be a better option than having a server on your home computer.

To answer your question, most of the channels that allow you to access your own content also allow you to specify an IP address, and the Roku likely doesn't care if that IP address is local or remote.

Because a remote computer does not have my files on them. Do i have really have to go onto further detail?
caspari862

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:19 pm

caspari862 wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Because a remote computer does not have my files on them. Do i have really have to go onto further detail?

Well, it does, it just may not have your banking and other personal files.

Are you worried that somehow the Roku will read your web cookies or steal your logins or something? Or that the third-party server software will do that? Your computer probably has several "servers" running right now, otherwise it wouldn't be able to do many of the things home computers do.

I can pretty much guarantee you that while setting up a remote machine as your server is possible, it likely won't stream as fast as a local network machine, and it may not be as easy to set up (depending on firewall issues).
mikebdoss

Postby caspari862 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 pm

My banking and other personal files are exactly the the point. Ok cool. We differ on weather its safe or not but thats ok. Not what I was asking. I just wanted to know if it was possible to go to a dedicated server or not. I geuss the obvious question now is. Has anyone actually tried it?

Thanks for the info
caspari862

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm

remember too that if you set up a remote server for all your files you will then be limited by your internet connection, its stability, and reliability to access your files. For one's personal file viewing I don't think I've heard of anyone going to the lengths just to avoid setting it up on a home machine.
stratcat96

Postby caspari862 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 pm

stratcat96 wrote:remember too that if you set up a remote server for all your files you will then be limited by your internet connection, its stability, and reliability to access your files. For one's personal file viewing I don't think I've heard of anyone going to the lengths just to avoid setting it up on a home machine.

Not to worry. Anything on my online server is not important. So if I had some files I wanted to stream and somehow lost them. Really not a big thing. Its just safer to keep something like Roksbox or Playon on a separate server if you have the money and know how.
caspari862

Postby WilDD » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Roksbox will run on just about anything, local or remote, that runs a web server. If it is a remote machine, you need to make sure your firewall will allow access to it, and also, you could have streaming problems if your internet connection isn't very fast, or if you are using 1080p videos. The recommended web server would be Apache, but IIS also works very well. Mongoose is an easy install, but can have problems with large videos.
WilDD

Postby scyber » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 am

It's a bit of a confusing question, since a dedicated server is technically also a home computer (assuming it is located in your home). There really is nothing that definitively distinguishes a dedicated server from a home computer. It is all really on the configuration,software & hardware. And w/o providing any configuration, software, nor hardware details, it is difficult to answer the question.

That said, I don't know much about Roksbox. But Playon can run on any Windows computer. So if you run windows on your dedicated server, then you can run Playon. But playon configurartion is all gui based, so configuring it will require you to have a monitor, keyboard, & mouse connected to the dedicated server. Note that transcode files with Playon you will need a somewhat powerful cpu on the dedicated server.

My current favorite local streaming solution is Plex. Plex Media Server is available for OSX, Windows, and Linux so it should run on pretty much anything. Also, while it transcodes, it can also do what it calls "direct streaming". Direct streaming is when it detects that the video codec is supported, but no the container, it simply remuxes the file to a supported container. This is less cpu intensive than transcoding so it doesn't require as much power as Playon (which always transcodes). But if you run into a file that requires transcoding, the cpu load will be higher.
scyber

Postby donbga » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 pm

caspari862 wrote:My banking and other personal files are exactly the the point. Ok cool. We differ on weather its safe or not but thats ok. Not what I was asking. I just wanted to know if it was possible to go to a dedicated server or not. I geuss the obvious question now is. Has anyone actually tried it?

Thanks for the info

If you mean putting PlayOn and or Roksbox on another PC connect on your LAN the answer is yes, Though you may not wish to operate both at the same time since they will use a lot of computer resources. Of course if you have a PC with say an Intel i7 with a lot of RAM you might be able to get away with runing both at the same time.
donbga

Postby mommom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Would NokNok.net be helpful here? I'm not too knowledgeable so I am picturing some sort of cloud storage/streaming setup.
mommom

Postby donbga » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 am

Just to add an update to this thread, I've just installed Plex Media Server for streaming MP4 files to the Roku and it seems to work very well, better than PO. I can't get their channels to work but for me that's a non issue. The Roku Plex client is Beta but it works okay on my Roku 1s and Roku 2s. Of course YMMV.
donbga

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion