MAX GO and ESPN3

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

MAX GO and ESPN3

Postby Bandit5160 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 pm

I love my ROKU2! But I would like to see a couple of additions. First, we are now enjoying HBO GO. I wonder if MAX GO will ever come to the Roku? I sense that at some point it will.

Also, what about ESPN3? I am less optimistic about this, since its availability on ROKU might hurt subs to services like Full Court and Game Time. But one can hope anyway.
Bandit5160

Re: MAX GO and ESPN3

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Bandit5160 wrote:I love my ROKU2! But I would like to see a couple of additions. First, we are now enjoying HBO GO. I wonder if MAX GO will ever come to the Roku? I sense that at some point it will.

Also, what about ESPN3? I am less optimistic about this, since its availability on ROKU might hurt subs to services like Full Court and Game Time. But one can hope anyway.

Yes, since there is HBO GO I would expect MAX GO.

However as far as ESPN 3 unfortunately I believe the chances there are someplace between zero and zilch. ABC/ESPN has shown fairly high resistance to their online products showing up on devices like the Roku even though most of the companies that allow Roku like devices not being apparently hurt by that access.

What I have done to get ESPN 3 on my TV is purchase an inexpensive computer and a wireless mini-keyboard and mouse and hook that to my TV. It is not exactly the same as a set top box but it is functional. Others use PlayOn but that ch is no supported and requires a fairly fast and powerful computer running so my solution is both less expensive and more functional as, through the computer I have the ability to put anything on the web on my TV.

That is not to say that my setup is either better or even a replacement for an ESPN 3 ch on my Roku. It is not. But it is not too bad. I still would prefer a Roku ch for my sports viewing but the computer is a close second.

BTW: That inexpensive computer ($119.00 from OverStock) also serves as a DVR running NPVR and I use the private NPVR ch to view its recordings after conversion on my Roku. Even running that and actively recording and converting a show to view on the Roku (TS to mp4 using Handbrake) the internet viewing is not impacted so that inexpensive computer has plenty of power for all that I use it for.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion