CinemaNow stream to HD1000

For general discussion of the Roku PhotoBridge HD1000 and Gallery Collection.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

CinemaNow stream to HD1000

Postby candrews11 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:10 pm

Ok so I have had my HD1000 for a few months now and use it quite often to play VOB files on my Plasma, very handy!

My question is has anyone figured out a way to use these streaming movie sites (Like CinemaNow) to stream video directly to the HD1000? I have a 500GB NAS but video fills it up fairly quickly. I'd like to be able to stream things to the HD1000 and only save my favorites on my NAS.

Any thoughts?
candrews11

Postby candrews11 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:33 am

So ...not possible is what I'm gathering from the lack of responses.

Bummer.
candrews11

Re: CinemaNow stream to HD1000

Postby sgould » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:52 pm

candrews11 wrote:Ok so I have had my HD1000 for a few months now and use it quite often to play VOB files on my Plasma, very handy!

My question is has anyone figured out a way to use these streaming movie sites (Like CinemaNow) to stream video directly to the HD1000? I have a 500GB NAS but video fills it up fairly quickly. I'd like to be able to stream things to the HD1000 and only save my favorites on my NAS.

Any thoughts?

I've looked at using CinemaNow and MovieLink with other devices. The problem with both of those sites is that they *require* Windows Media Player 9 or 10, or a compatible player that supports the Microsoft DRM system. While there are many different (software) media players available (both commercial and free), there are currently few (if any) players that support the Microsoft WMP DRM system. And, as far as I know, there aren't any players yet available that run under Linux.

So, the problem is not specific to the HD1000. The problem is more with the CinemaNow and MovieLink sites requiring their users use Windows Media Player. :( Movies from these sites won't even work with Real Player or Apples QuickTime.

Steve
sgould

Postby RokuAnthony » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:22 am

Yes, these sites all use Windows Media DRM and codecs.

If we were to add Microsoft’s "PlaysForSure" compatibility to the HD1000, then this would provide a solution. PlaysForSure is basically UPnP AV, WMV and WM DRM 10 support. We have this on the SoundBridge, but the issue with porting it to the HD1000 is that the HD1000 is an MPEG 2 device, and has no hardware support for WMV (windows media video).
RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Postby candrews11 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:52 am

OK, makes perfect sense to me now that you guys have explained it.

I'll stick with ripping to my NAS, I will just have to be more selective from now on.
candrews11

Postby flingier » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:17 am

RokuAnthony wrote:Yes, these sites all use Windows Media DRM and codecs.

If we were to add Microsoft’s "PlaysForSure" compatibility to the HD1000, then this would provide a solution. PlaysForSure is basically UPnP AV, WMV and WM DRM 10 support. We have this on the SoundBridge, but the issue with porting it to the HD1000 is that the HD1000 is an MPEG 2 device, and has no hardware support for WMV (windows media video).

Guess that brings up the idea of a HD2000 which adds WMV hardware support ;)

Filip
flingier

Postby gordo » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:37 am

Is it really impossible to make wmv work on the HD1000? The same chipset is being promoted and used in Windows Media Extenders:

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4742.html
gordo

Postby RokuAnthony » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:12 am

the media extender has a seperate co-processor for wmv decode.
RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Postby Barry DeWitt » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:06 pm

RokuAnthony wrote:Yes, these sites all use Windows Media DRM and codecs.

Unsure if that would be required, if the product was licensed to support the application then you could create a swap file where you could run the app as part of the API calls to the swap file..
Requis

..In life have fun while you can...oohh and don't sweat the small stuff... :)
Barry DeWitt

Postby candrews11 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:45 pm

Well I can only pray.

Seems like a no brainer too have this type feature.. but I also understand that the DRM and WMV issues would be difficult (but maybe not impossible) to over come.
candrews11

Postby jimre » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:08 pm

I'd guess the DRM issue is impossible without local storage of keys. That means it will require a PC server app like WMC or the like.
jimre

Postby cassie » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:34 am

jimre wrote:I'd guess the DRM issue is impossible without local storage of keys. That means it will require a PC server app like WMC or the like.

Hi again,

The extenders use two chips, one is dedicated to decodeing wmv, wma.
http://www.distributed-home.com/mt/weblog/rtvmaniac/archives/media_servers/index.html

It may be possible to do something with a server that does transcoding on the pc such as nero media home. Other devices support decoding on the server side http://www.distributed-home.com/tiki/tiki-index.php
and we have used this in some of the projects we have.

However, and its a big however, The hd1000 would have to be able to support upnp much better than it does. I believe it only supports discovery right now.[/url]
drop by www.distributed-home.com
Information of many types of media playerrs/servers
cassie@distributed-home.com
cassie

Return to PhotoBridge General Discussion