Hulu Plus crashes Roku

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Hulu Plus crashes Roku

Postby dug_down_deep » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Does everyone have this problem with Hulu+? It used to happen occasionally and now it's pretty much every time I use the channel.

And when I say it crashes, I mean hard. It locks up the Roku (version 1) so I have to unplug and do the whole reboot.
dug_down_deep

Re: Hulu Plus crashes Roku

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

dug_down_deep wrote:Does everyone have this problem with Hulu+? It used to happen occasionally and now it's pretty much every time I use the channel.

And when I say it crashes, I mean hard. It locks up the Roku (version 1) so I have to unplug and do the whole reboot.

We use Hulu daily, and it rarely crashes on us, and I've never seen it crash the whole box. It will lock it up (if you try to stop a show), but hitting the Home button and waiting a couple minutes almost always fixes the problem. It's annoying, but doesn't really bug us much.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dug_down_deep » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 pm

I've tried being patient, but it doesn't work out for us as it does for you. Sometimes it crashes so hard the Roku reboots on its own. I have told Hulu about this, but I was wondering if it was a well-known issue with the latest software version or something.
dug_down_deep

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm

dug_down_deep wrote:I've tried being patient, but it doesn't work out for us as it does for you. Sometimes it crashes so hard the Roku reboots on its own. I have told Hulu about this, but I was wondering if it was a well-known issue with the latest software version or something.

It's an ongoing problem, and from what I can tell, it's bad on just about every device it's on. Hulu insists on a look and feel that the hardware can't always handle. It also tends to be worse without a strong and fast internet connection. It's unrelated to recent firmware upgrades.
mikebdoss

Postby dug_down_deep » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Ok, thanks. Our download speeds are not super, so it makes sense that's part of it.
dug_down_deep

Postby j653 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:19 am

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Hulu+ problems are common on Roku -- and other devices, from what I've heard. I have a 8 mbps stable connection and frequently experience lockups and unresponsiveness after watching 30+ minutes of content.

All we can do is hope that Hulu and Roku work together on improving the channel.
j653

Postby steamer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:21 am

dug_down_deep wrote:I've tried being patient, but it doesn't work out for us as it does for you. Sometimes it crashes so hard the Roku reboots on its own. I have told Hulu about this, but I was wondering if it was a well-known issue with the latest software version or something.

same thing has started happening to me now.
i'm about to move Hulu+ to the round file.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.1 b1195
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby philsoft » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

dug_down_deep wrote:Ok, thanks. Our download speeds are not super, so it makes sense that's part of it.

I have a 25mbs connection and Hulu+ causes problems for me regularly. Rebooting the box before a Hulu+ session helps significantly. I realize this is not a solution, but it does help.
philsoft

Postby -LD » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:47 am

Hulu can definitely be problematic. Always has been. Though I still contend that no matter how bad the channel it should not be able to reboot the box. Yet it does sometimes.
-LD

Postby steamer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:07 am

philsoft wrote:
dug_down_deep wrote:Ok, thanks. Our download speeds are not super, so it makes sense that's part of it.

I have a 25mbs connection and Hulu+ causes problems for me regularly. Rebooting the box before a Hulu+ session helps significantly. I realize this is not a solution, but it does help.

~~~
Yes, if I reboot just before going to Hulu+, it is more likely to make it thru a show ...
as long as I don't try to fast forward or rewind. Even a simple 'pause' can sometimes
cause it to freeze up, or the 'overlay' to stay over the video if/when it does resume.
And yes, it can freeze and actually cause Roku to reboot all on it's own. That seems
to be something new ... just recently happening on occasion.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.1 b1195
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby floridamom » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:50 pm

We have audio sync issues, and there's a significant lag between when you press pause/play and when it performs the function. It's very frustrating and I often come close to canceling our subscription if it wasn't for a few shows we watch on it. We haven't had anything near what you describe though. I hope Hulu and Roku can get it fixed soon.
floridamom

Postby bennor3814 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Just had audio out of sync issues with Hulu Plus as well. Hulu has been hit or miss so far on my Roku 2 XS. First time streaming from Hulu Plus no problems. Next day Hulu was freezing and stuttering every 30 seconds and eventually locked up the Roku 2 to where I had to reboot/power cycle. After the reboot/power cycle the Hulu channel streamed the show fine. Then today the audio is out of sync with the video. It got progressively worse after I paused a show I was watching. After power cycling the Roku 2 the audio appeared to be in sync with the video.
bennor3814

Postby dug_down_deep » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:12 pm

By the way, I just had Amazon's channel do basically the same thing (i.e., lock up the Roku completely while viewing a program and require a power off reboot). I haven't seen it happen on any other channel but we don't watch very much other than Netflix.
dug_down_deep

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:50 am

Hulu+ always locks up or reboots shortly after I use it after using NetFlix. It is fine once I reboot it until I run Netflix again. It's probably a good idea to power cycle it first every time you use Hulu+ but I figure it is helpful to let the unit (or force it to if locked up) send the crash logs to Roku - unless they have me on "ignore" by now LOL .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger

Postby oregon681 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 am

i have the same issue. seems like since the last software update from Hulu isn't meshing well with the updates from Roku. it's gotten worse. i've had all the issues described here. Hulu locking up, audio/video out of sync and taking FOREVER to resume after a pause/FF/RW. we shouldn't have to restart our Roku just to use a channel. doing that says there's a problem with Hulu/Roku. the things should work flawlessly and smoothly. after all... that's why we bought the Roku and are paying for Hulu+.

Hulu and Roku DO need to get together and figure out what's happening. both provide a great service, but when you're paying for something that's unusable, one of them has to go eventually, and it sure won't be my Roku.

on a side note, i have the Roku XDS connected via HDMI and wired with a 20mbs internet connection.
oregon681

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion