Connecting Roku to HDMI

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Connecting Roku to HDMI

Postby microlady » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Bekka wrote:I've been reading that the light on the Roku is suppose to stay on all the time. I had my TV on at HDMI setting hoping the Roku would kick on. After about an hour, I went back into the room and nothiced the light was off. Not even a glo, it is definitely not on. Is that normal???

You got the right reply on that one from The Endless. I know my light is on all the time and someone in the past talked about their light going off and I was going to look up that post but then The Endless just answered it and I remember that it did have something to do with the screensaver.

My light is always on because I went into Settings and disabled my Screensaver. So your screensaver may be enabled and so the light goes off and on. I think I had read some people had problems with their Roku which were solved by turning off their screensaver. You might try that and see if it helps anything. Can't hurt.

Hope to see you get more replies here about getting the Roku to work...but I did copy down what you last wrote about your connections and will see if anything else comes to mind. In the meantime, others will be reading your post and someone just might have other suggestions for you to try.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I just read that about the light doing a search. Problem is I never got so far in the Roku set up to have a screen saver or get to an area of settings. Just hooked up the Roku to the TV, no logo bouncing around but finally a screen came up to put in my router's SSID and password, all lights were green- showing connections worked, and the screen went to a light blue screen with a message to let me know it was updating, then the screen turned suddenly dark. That's it.... a dead screen; for hours. Ok, I'm finding this notice on my router "[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address" (the mac address is Roku). I tried to add the Roku in the LAN but I have to have the IP address which doesn't show up.
Also running through my Norton logs I'm finding a lot of (1). "Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter USB Wireless 802.11 b/g adaptor" and there is an IP address listed on all protecting messages of lets just say for example..... 1234), also a lot of (2) "IP address has disappeared from adapter USB Wireless 802.11 and is no longer being protected" messages immediately following the connection (and all the disappearing IP address is lets say for example only... 5678). Same IP for all the protecting your connection logs, and same IP for all the address has disappeared logs. But the protecting has a different IP than the address has disappeared messages. So what does this mean???? These messages are definitely parallel to my many attempts to connect with Roku. So what do I need to do now???
Bekka

Postby microlady » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 am

I did download your manual for your TV and see no problem there. Yes, you do use the HDMI input when you want to see the Roku box.

What you are saying now sounds like your security isn't right somehow. Your router seems to be saying that the SSID and password you sent to the Roku box isn't correct for some reason.

You cannot add an IP address for the Roku in your router. You can add the MAC address of the Roku to your router. Your router should be set up to "hand out" IP addresses within a range you set..to the devices whose MAC addresses are listed in the router as permitted to use your network, etc.

Roku asks your router for an IP address and as soon as it gets that, it would be able to access your WLAN network, Its last step is contacting the Internet, which is the last green light you saw of 3 lights. If you can get 3 lights green, you should be able to use your Roku.

Some people do seem to have some problem with using the HDMI cable. If you used your other connection available, it might be easier to set up the Roku and then once it is working, switch over to using the HDMI cable.

Again, to really get help here, the best way is to start from the beginning which is to say, how does your Internet connection work, do you have a cable modem and then a router. What kind of router do you have...Netgear and model number. Some people here may have the same model and can guide you. Sometimes jumping around with different results happening adds to the confusion of what is happening in the first place. If you have a cable to your TV to watch TV, do you have that cable split to access the Internet? Wireless is very touchy but it can be solved eventually.

You also might think about trying everything with your main TV where you can reach all connections, maybe even setting up the Roku wired using your router. If you can get it all working that way and get past the update and get activation and actually be able to use the Roku, then try moving it to your other TV once you see what it all looks like when it works.

Again, I hope others can chime in here with some suggestions. It is very frustrating when one feels like they are going around in circles....believe me we all wind up learning from experience and I believe most of us have been through some frustration with technology so we do understand this frustration. When I see someone trying not to give up....I know I try not to give up either.
microlady

Postby Bekka » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Ok, I took a halfer to try to get this thing working. I have a Netgear N150 WPN824N router. Currently, all that is sharing the bandwidth is a netbook, a laptop recently broke, and my nook. And those are off when not in use. There were more this past week, home for the holidays. I've done the hard reset. On the router I've done the disable the firewalls, change to channel 6, and I can't find the video setting in my router to change to 1080p. All I can find is a drop down box under present settings that has 54Mbps, 65 Mbps, and Up to 150 Mbps. Ok, that said, my computer is connected by an ethernet cord to a Time Warner Motorola box that is connected to a cable axle in the wall. My bedroom TV is connected to a Time warner box -- Explorer 4250 HDC -- which is connected by what looks like a sort of component setup. A Sunstream HD logo bops around at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds whenever I watch cable TV. So now I'm wondering is this a media streamer? Yep, just read, it is. And if so, can I connect the Roku HMDI cord to the explorer? There is a HDMI source on the back of the Explorer. Here's the explorer specs: http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto ... Manual.pdf
Ok, I'm giving this a few more hours. I am going to have someone help me get it off the wall and try setting up with the composite wiring. The only question I have is how am I going to get the router to not reject this as it has been doing? As I mentioned I tried turning off the security to the router; didn't work. I put Roku in the reservation. Although I named the device for what it is Roku 2xd, and put in the correct MAC address, then clicked add ..... on this router it will not take unless I add an IP address......(instructions said to use my IP with a different number at the end)..... it still shows up as unknown device, un-named. My router won't let me add any thing unless there is also an IP address. Unfortunately, although Roku initially showed up as streaming in the network map of my network, after I followed advice by unhooking, resetting, etc., the device no longer shows up. Its being rejected all over the place.

Ok, that said I really can not handle long phone calls with CS persons who have accents. I misunderstand, misinterpret, just have a very hard time following because I am hearing impaired. My experience with outsourced CS persons has been "Mammm, I can help you". Whenever I explain my situation and ask if they could please transfer me to someone I can comfortably speak with, I hear that response over and over again no matter how many times I plead.
Bekka

Postby Bekka » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help here. I finally had someone take the TV off the wall, and connected the composite cord that came with the Roku. It worked ; ) I would love to have HD but every time I try to connect with the HDMI cord the screen again yep, goes blank. The look of gloom. Better not such a defined picture than none at all. I did go into the settings and every thing shows hooked up at wireless. Thought that was odd, when I am actually using the composite cord, rather than the HDMI cord. Still and all the pictures are not too bad. My appreciation to all of you.
Bekka

Postby microlady » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Bekka wrote:Thanks to everyone for their help here. I finally had someone take the TV off the wall, and connected the composite cord that came with the Roku. It worked ; ) I would love to have HD but every time I try to connect with the HDMI cord the screen again yep, goes blank. The look of gloom. Better not such a defined picture than none at all. I did go into the settings and every thing shows hooked up at wireless. Thought that was odd, when I am actually using the composite cord, rather than the HDMI cord. Still and all the pictures are not too bad. My appreciation to all of you.

Well I did read all your manuals, etc. I am glad you got the Roku to work for you. What I read on the Netgear website is that your model does not do HD video streaming. Whether that is right or not I don't know. Maybe you could try in the future to find out with a topic here asking the best way to set up your Model of Netgear with your Model of Roku. I know there are people here with the same router you have and they may be able to help you on that.

It is good everything shows hooked up wireless. Your composite cord and HDMI cord have nothing to do with whether you are hooked up wireless. Wireless is your Internet connection and it has to do with how your devices are accessing the Internet itself...that is, wireless through your router and modem. Which is how Roku works.

You cannot use the Explorer HDMI out cause your Explorer is a Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable Settop Box which is a different setup than your Internet and wireless. It may be that if you hooked the Explorer HDMI to your HDTV HDMI input, your cable company may send you your channels in HD...I don't know.

Anyway, very glad to hear you are now checking out the Roku box and Netflix, etc.
microlady

Postby ErinW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I have a problem with the same television. I have a Toshiba 19LV506 HDTV/DVD combo. This TV has a single HDMI input, and the specifications in the manual say it is HDCP compliant. However, my Roku XD will not work with the HDMI on this TV. We have Roku XS for our main TV, so I know a little bit about how they work, and I've tried everything I can think of.

The Roku XD unit works fine with this TV using the composite cables that came with it (although it is standard def, of course), and the Roku is able to connect to the internet and stream Netflix or other programs successfully. However, when I try to connect the Roku to the TV using the HDMI cable, and set the TV to HDMI input, all I get is a blank screen.

The HDMI input on this TV works fine when connected to our cable box, and this Roku XD unit works fine when connected to our other TV (Panasonic) using HDMI. The Roku also streams successfully in HD over our wireless network when connected to the Panasonic TV. So it doesn't SEEM to be a hardware problem with the TV or the Roku, or a problem with our wireless network - although there is always the possibility I have overlooked something.

I've tried various combinations of plugging/unplugging/on/off on both the TV and the Roku box, trying to get them to "see" each other, and I've wiggled the HDMI cable on both the Roku and the TV, but still always get a blank screen when using the HDMI cable between this TV and the Roku. Not even a flicker of a connection.

Yes, I'm sure I have the TV set to the correct input. Yes, I'm sure the Roku has power, because the little light is on and it flashes when I push buttons on the Roku remote.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any insight.

EDIT: I missed the last post about the Netgear router not being able to stream HD over wireless. So I want to add that we are using a Linksys WRT54G, and have no problems streaming HD over wireless to our PS3 or Xbox 360. In any case, if the problem was the router, wouldn't we still see the home screen on the Roku if connected with HDMI?
ErinW

Postby microlady » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Erin: It is just possible that the Toshiba TV and the Roku HDMI just do not work with each other.
Especially as you say the Roku HDMI works just fine with your Panasonic TV.

I don't use HDMI as I have 3 devices connected to my main TV and it is easier to have them all use the same signal (composite), especially since one is a combo DVD and VCR and the VCR only has composite out. And the way our HDTV works is one must choose the input from a list each time unless watching regular TV.

I tried Google on the black screen, etc., and the best I could come up with is apparently Roku support actually told one user that the HDMI does not work with their Sharp Aquos TV and that they should use composite instead. It all seems to have to do with the HDCP(copy protection) part of the HDMI cable signal.

I have an LG HDTV in another room and its manual says the HDMI will not work with a 480i signal at all. Under its troubleshooting, it says if you use HDMI and don't get a picture...it means the HDMI cable you are using doesn't support the HDMI version 1.3, which this TV wants.
And I also read that this is true especially with older TVS that have the early HDMI.

Some users here say the original Roku, like I have, has no problem with HDMI but it is the newer boxes that do. I know the newer boxes did change and eliminate some connections so who knows if those boxes have a different HDMI jack somehow.....rather than a duplicate of the original one that seems to cause no problems. Makes me resist getting a newer box since mine is still working just fine...and I doubt I will use HDMI if there is a no video problem...a black screen apparently means the same as no signal. If I did want to try that type of signal maybe I would look into bypassing the HDMI by using a DVI with an HDMI converter connector together with a separate digital audio cable signal. Just a thought.

You could try a "Search" for the topic HDMI no video....on this forum and see what others have done that might have worked.

One reason composite probably works as it can work with a plain analog signal whereas the HDMI (and DVI) work with digital signals and will not display an analog signal. Maybe some users are still getting SD type signals, usually in analog, and so the composite works.

I see a lot of HDMI frustration in this forum and just wish there is an easier way to find a solution, if there is any.

Good Luck...I could think of some choice words for these ideas of such a copy protection where one can't even enjoy a signal without any intention of "copying" it.....but I won't use them here.
microlady

Postby ErinW » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, microlady. I suspect you are right, I was just hoping there was some way to get this Roku to work with HDMI because our TV is HD. The TV manual SAYS it is HDCP compliant, but apparently not.

I don't think it's the cable, because the HDMI cable we are trying to use is a brand new hi-speed with ethernet...but the Roku won't work with an older HDMI, either. However, I will also do some checking into the possibility that we need another type of HDMI cable.

I'm also going to TRY customer service and see if I get anywhere, but I'm pretty doubtful they will have a fix.
ErinW

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:56 pm

ErinW wrote:
I don't think it's the cable, because the HDMI cable we are trying to use is a brand new hi-speed with ethernet...

???? An HDMI cable and an Ethernet cable are two different things. What exactly are you connecting with?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ErinW » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 pm

We bought a "hi-speed HDMI with ethernet" cable for this Roku XD box. However, we also tried the standard HDMI cable we have been using with our main TV and our Roku XS - but that cable didn't work, either.

Incidentally, we put the new HDMI/ethernet cable on our main TV and it works fine with our Roku XS.
ErinW

Postby Bekka » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:31 am

Microlady, you are right!!! My netgear does not HD stream. I can not believe checking the capabilities of my router never entered my mind. When it comes right down to it, we are getting a pretty nice picture using the composite now. After the first movie, which was blurry on and off, it almost seems as if stream went through some sort of adjusting mode. Playing a little further, the HDMI high speed with ethernet cord works with Roku & our larger entertainment TV just fine "with the correct router". According to a techy engineer friend, the ethernet capability of the cord is just not being used when you do direct connection for HDMI sources. Kind of like a printer or even the XS Roku boxes that have both an ethernet source and an HDMI port. You can use one or the other. There is also something to be said about the TV model I have. Using that "correct" & different borrowed for the day router that does HD stream, my small Toshiba TV still did not work with the HDMI cord. And yes, it is an older model TV. Later down the road, I want to get one of those smaller 3Ds TV, and when I do I have the HDMI cord to use, and some knowledge on how to hook up the Roku. Nothing's lost, and a whole lot gained ; ) More immediately, I do plan to buy a new router. This one works very good, and for a cheapo its held its own with tons of connections when the kids are home for the holidays. I've never lost a signal, but I do want to be able to stream in high definition in the future.

microlady wrote:Well I did read all your manuals, etc. I am glad you got the Roku to work for you. What I read on the Netgear website is that your model does not do HD video streaming. Whether that is right or not I don't know. Maybe you could try in the future to find out with a topic here asking the best way to set up your Model of Netgear with your Model of Roku. I know there are people here with the same router you have and they may be able to help you on that.

It is good everything shows hooked up wireless. Your composite cord and HDMI cord have nothing to do with whether you are hooked up wireless. Wireless is your Internet connection and it has to do with how your devices are accessing the Internet itself...that is, wireless through your router and modem. Which is how Roku works.

You cannot use the Explorer HDMI out cause your Explorer is a Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable Settop Box which is a different setup than your Internet and wireless. It may be that if you hooked the Explorer HDMI to your HDTV HDMI input, your cable company may send you your channels in HD...I don't know.

Anyway, very glad to hear you are now checking out the Roku box and Netflix, etc.
Bekka

Postby microlady » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Erin: I also have the Linksys WRT54GL. I believe I got it from Amazon and it was not very expensive, as I recall. My original Linksys was having a problem assigning IP addresses to my wireless PC and Roku...it took a while and some good suggestions here before I finally gave up the ghost of keeping the older one. Right away the WRT54GL did all a router should do and I was glad to see you say it does HD streaming...which I may try in the future when my cable goes all digital and I have no choice of the signal I will be able to tape on (as I am a time-shifter).
Glad you are able to set up your Roku so you can enjoy it.

Bekka: Also glad to read you are able to enjoy your Roku also. You might want to check the topic on Page 1 of this forum about compatible routers members are using. I think my Linksys cost about $54 and it works fine. Also Erin has the same router and says her HD streaming works well with it. I know it was a hassle getting your TV down from the wall to use the composite connections but I think by doing so, you saw what the Roku can do when it works properly.

Actually I have the original Roku and I use the S-Video instead of the yellow RCA video, along with the red and white RCA audio connections. So my picture probably is somewhat better than the yellow composite. I know boxes after mine at some point, I understand, dropped the S-Video connection and it sounds from what I read that through the models I think the final result may be a Roku box with only HDMI. I know businesses want to get away from the composite and component as those signals are fairly easy to copy whereas, as you have seen, the HDMI is so strict.....if it is not happy......the user gets a black screen for video. My VCR (recorder) being a Sony (a company spearheading copy protection all over the place) does not have S-Video out but my Sony DVD Player and Roku box do, so to use the one signal on a 6 way video control center, I use the S-Video connections for the 2 units that have S-Video output, and I got a cable that converts the yellow RCA video to a S-Video signal so my VCR signal becomes S-Video when it gets to the TV.

That's why I believe there may be a way to use HDMI through the DVI video and Digital Audio connections but I'm not there yet as I don't use a digital signal at all right now, except once in a while from my Antenna. This year my cable company is supposed to stop analog and only broadcast in digital so until then....I am fine with my Roku the way it is and my setup.
microlady

Postby brw12 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi all, I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba 19LV505 TV/DVD player (720p).

Just got a Roku 3. When I connect it and select hdmi on the tv, I get a completely black screen except for the TV's HDMI box telling me that is selected. But I DO get audio from the Roku--I hear the intro sequence start up for about 5 seconds, and then for a while when I press buttons on the remote I get a clicking sound I'm familiar with. To be clear, these sounds are definitely coming from the TV and not the remote headphones jack!

So the TV is getting the signal from the box via HDMI, but not displaying the image at all.

Any ideas? Could this be a DHCP issue?
brw12

Postby ronbolin » Wed May 15, 2013 4:19 pm

brw12 wrote:Hi all, I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba 19LV505 TV/DVD player (720p).

Just got a Roku 3. When I connect it and select hdmi on the tv, I get a completely black screen except for the TV's HDMI box telling me that is selected. But I DO get audio from the Roku--I hear the intro sequence start up for about 5 seconds, and then for a while when I press buttons on the remote I get a clicking sound I'm familiar with. To be clear, these sounds are definitely coming from the TV and not the remote headphones jack!

So the TV is getting the signal from the box via HDMI, but not displaying the image at all.

Any ideas? Could this be a DHCP issue?

Ever solve the problem??? I have the same identical problem with my Toshiba TV ...... blank screen with ROKU 3 !!!
ronbolin

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion