Best list of private channels

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Best list of private channels

Postby trekkeriii » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm

fredneck wrote:yes this should be stickied, the long list of channels makes Roku better then most.

Some people don't want their channels public, yet. I am building one myself, it's in very early stages, but it is specific to a small community of users, so I don't want it public on these forums. Plus, I am not sure if my webhost's bandwidth can handle lots of streamers, granted I signed up for Cloudfare.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby fredneck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:34 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
mastermesh wrote:please sticky this thread. Thanks.

Don't think Roku wants to do this since private channels don't go through the official approval process

Still yet being able to tell the world your Roku platform has over 700 content channels makes for some mighty good PR.
This makes one heck of a good argument in favor of buying a Roku instead of an Apple TV. Most people don't really care if their channels are public or private as long as they can watch some good Free TV. :wink:
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
fredneck

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 am

fredneck wrote:
Still yet being able to tell the world your Roku platform has over 700 content channels makes for some mighty good PR.

Yes. There are more than 700 public channels, and at least 300 private.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby RickRansom » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:27 am

kc8pql wrote:
fredneck wrote:

Yes. There are more than 700 public channels...

I did a quick browsing on the roku website and only saw 632 channels listed.

Movies & TV (79)
Music (59)
News & Weather (36)
Sports (44)
Science & Technology (19)
Internet TV (62)
Food (23)
Photos & Video (25)
Kids & Family (17)
Screensavers & Apps (29)
Fitness & Outdoors (32)
Special Interest (64)
Travel (15)
International (32)
Religion & Spirituality (140)
Games (48)

I didn't include a few categories in the count since I believe they are just repeated from a different list.[Featured, New, Most Watched, Featured Paid]. That's not to mention that anybody who doesn't have a Roku 2 that's paired with a gaming remote has access to all the 48 games listed from the website, so that topples the list even further. And please nobody start talking about the religious channels. We've done that and it's been tiring. :mrgreen:

But, as kc8pql said - add the private channels to the list and that'd easily make the list go over 1000. Who has time for 1000 channels? :roll:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 am

RickRansom wrote:Who has time for 1000 channels? :roll:

Challenge Accepted...
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 am

I did a quick browsing on the roku website and only saw 632 channels listed.

I used http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-channel-store/all/24.html which may be more up to date than the website.
It shows 24 pages with 32 channels per page. 768 public channels. That could include some that have disappeared I guess.
To many to count certainly. :lol:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby RickRansom » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:33 am

kc8pql wrote:To many to count certainly. :lol:

Quite true!
trekkeriii wrote:
RickRansom wrote:Who has time for 1000 channels? :roll:

Challenge Accepted...

LoL. I'd need another lifetime or two to watch all the content from those channels. But not all of them interest me so that'd be a waste of time.

Anyway, other sources show more channels than the other, but not all of us has the free time to check if those 632 or 768 channels. I think it's safe to say though that there's a lot of channels to choose from. The last time I had cable I had around 100 or so channels, of which 12-15 of them were suited to my viewing habit. I do miss the Discovery and Travel channels but figured I could always find a few clips here and there. Not much of a compromise.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm

kc8pql wrote:I used http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-channel-store/all/24.html which may be more up to date than the website.
It shows 24 pages with 32 channels per page. 768 public channels. That could include some that have disappeared I guess.
To many to count certainly. :lol:

never too many to count! my behind the scenes count says 778 "available in channel store" although i know about a dozen of those are still in limbo - i haven't confirmed them dead enough to remove the listing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catastrophegirl/8406227219
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby krisbee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 am

What would really be nice is if we could vote what the top 20 private channels are... I have my favorites, and I am sure lots of people do - and those would satisfy 95% of people who go searching for the list. And, of course, many of them are from Nowhereman and TheEndless...
krisbee

Postby wzwor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 pm

krisbee wrote:What would really be nice is if we could vote what the top 20 private channels are... I have my favorites, and I am sure lots of people do - and those would satisfy 95% of people who go searching for the list. And, of course, many of them are from Nowhereman and TheEndless...

Show me yours, I'll show you mine :mrgreen:

For me, this has been the most confusing aspect of these streamers. With my SMP, it was no big deal. There were a bunch of channels, but I sampled all of them within a couple hours. Extensible clients and servers require a LOT more effort and, frankly, the payback is not very good.

It would be nice to have a dynamic list that could filter religious or fitness or whatever you were not interested in, included a 'last verified' date, cost details, and a description. Maybe Roku will post the database if forum subscribers will populate the data?
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby krisbee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Off the top of my head:

NowhereArchive
NowhereTV
Shoutcast
Justin.TV
ITunes
What's On (is that private?) - great for TV times and Movie times...
YouTube (now gone)

I will refrain from the adult channels here... : :oops:

There are many public channels that are kinda hidden - Pub-D-Hub, many of the Drive-In/Cowboy Classics/Kung Fu/etc. from that provider, etc.

I also use Roksbox and MythRoku - but those aren't really private channels, per se.
krisbee

Postby wzwor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:04 pm

I share an account with the family, so I'm a little on the tame side as well. I'll say, too, that I'm a cord cutter, so I put more value on 'cable replacement' programming than others might. I also have another streamer and two server apps, so Roku isn't always my first choice...

- ADC: Free movie channel
- Amazon Cloud Player: Play all the free music Amazon sends my way
- CNN: Includes CNN International Live for background news and information
- Crackle: Sony’s FREE version of Netflix
- CS50: Harvard Intro to Computer Science course
- Comedy Time: ‘Play All’ makes for good background noise
- CBSSports.com: ‘Play All’ feature makes for a nice sports news channel
- CNBC: Streaming business news for news and information
- FoxNews: Stream from web site plus clips of popular shows with ‘Play All’
- Kaplan College Prep: Help your kid with his SATs
- Lecture Kings: Librivox audio box is hidden in a channel of university lectures
- Netflix
- Nowhere TV
- The Server That Shall Not Be Named
- Plex: Stream your own files to your Roku via a Plex Server; lost of supported and unsupported channels too
- Popcornflix
- Popflix Classic TV: 26 Men, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Burns and Allen, Date with the Angels, Dragnet, Life with Elizabeth, The Lone Ranger, The Lucy Show, Man with a - - - - - Camera, Petticoat Junction, Sherlock Holmes, Westerns, You Bet Your Life
- PubDHub: The stuff your dad used to reminisce about — ancient cartoons, PSAs, commercials, and movies
- Smithsonian: Better than the Discovery channel
- TWiT: Steve Gibson, Leo Laporte, and others talk tech
- WSJ Live: WSJ had good election coverage

I have been cobbling together lists of the content I watch. I'm working on a master list of what solutions provide what content. That's what everyone wants to know. Once Aereo and Skitter go mainstream, people will be able to legitimately cut the cord without putting an antenna on the roof.
wzwor

Postby wzwor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm

krisbee wrote:I also use Roksbox and MythRoku - but those aren't really private channels, per se.

I didn't care for Roksbox and haven't tried Myth -- yet. I think one of the channels in my favorites is private. I tried a lot of private channels, but have been purging them due to lack of interest.
wzwor

Postby fredneck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:11 pm

That is a mighty impressive list you assembled and there are some channels on there I need to try out. Thanks for sharing wzwor. :D
Not quite sure what to make of "The Server That Shall Not Be Named" sounds interesting. Wonder where one can find the name... :?:
Awe never mind, Google told me what you all are talkin about. :oops:
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
fredneck

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:04 pm

For me VideoBuzz works better than YouTube. The later seems to have speed issues that the former does not. YouTube must be changing things. It also seems that VideoBuzz uses adaptive streaming since it starts fast and looks good. YouTube either starts slower or locks in at 2 dots and refuses to change.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion