composite to VGA

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

composite to VGA

Postby mountanaman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Have a Samsung 204T monitor. Tried the HDMI > DVI adapter, i was able to get the setup screen, play Angry Birds, pick a movie on Netflix - but when video actually tried streaming i got the purple screen of death. Turns out the monitor is not HDCP compliant. Point is, i know the Roku works.

So i ordered a composite (yellow) to VGA adapter. Plug it in and i get "check signal cable" box on the screen. Plug in my laptop using VGA to VGA and the monitor works fine - so i know it is not the VGA connection. Anyone have any ideas?

adapter is similar to this one:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/VG ... cid=123620

(i'm also using the A/V cable for audio via stereo receiver)
mountanaman

Re: composite to VGA

Postby philsoft » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 pm

mountanaman wrote:Have a Samsung 204T monitor. Tried the HDMI > DVI adapter, i was able to get the setup screen, play Angry Birds, pick a movie on Netflix - but when video actually tried streaming i got the purple screen of death. Turns out the monitor is not HDCP compliant. Point is, i know the Roku works.

So i ordered a composite (yellow) to VGA adapter. Plug it in and i get "check signal cable" box on the screen. Plug in my laptop using VGA to VGA and the monitor works fine - so i know it is not the VGA connection. Anyone have any ideas?

adapter is similar to this one:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/VG ... cid=123620

(i'm also using the A/V cable for audio via stereo receiver)

Based on the link you posted, that device is for converting a VGA signal to Composite (RCA) so you would be using it backward??
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mountanaman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Based on the link you posted, that device is for converting a VGA signal to Composite (RCA) so you would be using it backward??

So it doesn't work both ways?!?
mountanaman

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 pm

mountanaman wrote:

So it doesn't work both ways?!?

Nope. And working both ways is illegal in 23 states and DC. :mrgreen:

In fact I can just about assure you that the product shown will not work at all in most cases.

What is shown is a splitter/adapter with no active features. The signals involved are quite different.

You need a composite to VGA converter. They are a bit more expensive than $1.99
Gilgamesh

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm

yeah, you need a scan converter. Here's on on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-COMP ... 678&sr=8-3. Not exactly $1.99 though...
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krisbee » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 am

Yeah, the Roku is meant for a TV... in the end, you would probably be better served hooking it up to that, if you can. If you have a computer nearby, you could also just throw a capture card in the computer and output to the TV that way (someone here did that). You can find a capture card for $20-30, and still have probably a better picture.
krisbee

Postby mountanaman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:28 am

stratcat96 wrote:yeah, you need a scan converter. Here's on on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-COMP ... 678&sr=8-3. Not exactly $1.99 though...
well that sucks. not paying $50 to make a $99 item work. might as well buy a new monitor (or TV, if i must) that has HDMI. Looks like i can get a smallish one (22") for not much more than $100...

thanks for the help all!
mountanaman

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion