roku 2 XS?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

roku 2 XS?

Postby ttomm46 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm

they are at walmart for 98 bucks..I'm using a d-link 601 router.....just a 22 inch hd tv....will it work ok..have a 6mbs cable connection...is the only difference between this and the next roku one step below angry birds or is there something else in the way of apps i might want?
tom :D
ttomm46

Re: roku 2 XS?

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:53 pm

ttomm46 wrote:they are at walmart for 98 bucks..I'm using a d-link 601 router.....just a 22 inch hd tv....will it work ok..have a 6mbs cable connection...is the only difference between this and the next roku one step below angry birds or is there something else in the way of apps i might want?
tom :D

Besides the specific games like Angry Birds, all the apps/channels are identical on all the boxes. One other thing to note is that only the XS has an ethernet port - the rest are wireless only. It's also got a USB port for playing media on removable drives.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Ing5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:07 pm

The 'gaming remote' uses motion control with Bluetooth. Users report VERY short battery life - like in the weeks range. You should consider buying a Roku IR remote (like the Instant Replay Remote) from Roku Accessories for $10. Then use the 'gaming remote' just for gaming and the IR remote for all the channel surfing. The IR remotes go forever (sorta) on a set of batteries.
Ing5

Postby RickRansom » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:10 pm

mikebdoss wrote:I'm using a d-link 601 router

There was was another thread that mentioned some problems you may encounter during the initial setup, particularly with the initial software update if you do it wirelessly from certain DLink routers.

This is from one of the mods from Roku:
RokuShawnS wrote:Okay, guys and gals :) Got a little bit of information I can pass along about this issue:

There is, unfortunately, a known bug regarding the communication between the D-Link routers and the Roku, which was fixed in an updated firmware. However, because some units shipped without the updated firmware, they will suffer the issue. There are a few options you can try:

• If you have an XS unit, use the wired Ethernet connection for the initial update;
  • If you have a neighbor or friend with a non-DLink router, ask permission to use their access point temporarily for the update;
  • Replace your router with a non-DLink model;
  • Check for a firmware update on your DLink router (DLink may have provided a fix for the underlying issue on their end);
  • Call Customer Service to get an RMA for your device, and we will exchange it with one that has the latest firmware (be sure to tell them the issue!).

Those of you with the above problems who have the DLink, please use the above options if you can, using CS as the last resort (as there will probably be a longer delay getting your replacement unit to you than some of the other options).

C. Shawn Smith

Good news is that, this issue has already been identified so there are already steps to keep you from wondering what went wrong.
Either way, if you can follow the steps mentioned above, I'm very positive that you should be set to go! :wink:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby ttomm46 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Thank you..Just wondering if its worth the extra money :D
ttomm46

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:34 pm

^^ If you want to play Angry Birds type games or play local content through the USB, or need Ethernet, then yes, the XS is worth it.
If you don't care about those three things, then get the XD for $20. less. It will perform exactly the same as the XS.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Ing5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Personally, I play local content through the USB (music, pics, movies) all the time with my Roku1-XR. For that ability alone I'd play $20.
Your mileage may vary.
Ing5

Postby ttomm46 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:41 pm

ill get the XD..thanks
ttomm46

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion