Cannot connect wireless to new Roku 2 XS

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Cannot connect wireless to new Roku 2 XS

Postby shelleyp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I did want to thank everyone for their help, but it does seem look like I'll need responses from Roku folks as to my next steps. I suppose I can call customer service and return the device, but I would like to know if I'm going to continue having problems. If so, doesn't do any good to return the device, except to get money back.
shelleyp

Postby robertm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 pm

If you have a wire available for the BD player why not just add a inexpensive switch and go wired? I realize this may not preclude you from returning a potentially defective unit but I'd always go on a wire before wireless.

In case you don't know you can branch your network. If you have a cable running to the router you can plug that line into a switch and then connect multiple things to the switch. You can even branch it further by running a line from one switch to another. In my home I have 4 switches and one of my branches is nested three times.
robertm

Postby shelleyp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Found it.

Some digging through the never ending thread on wireless connectivity provided the answer: it's the WPA & WPA2 encryption from the Actiontek router. Evidently the original Rokus can handle the WPA & WPA2 encryption while the new Roku cannot. I set my router to use the more primitive WPA, which seems to work.

I can connect into the network now, though it did drop it once.

Again, thanks for help from folks.
shelleyp

Postby shelleyp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:31 pm

robertm wrote:If you have a wire available for the BD player why not just add a inexpensive switch and go wired? I realize this may not preclude you from returning a potentially defective unit but I'd always go on a wire before wireless.

In case you don't know you can branch your network. If you have a cable running to the router you can plug that line into a switch and then connect multiple things to the switch. You can even branch it further by running a line from one switch to another. In my home I have 4 switches and one of my branches is nested three times.

I have a switch I'm not using, but I hated to add yet more devices cluttering up the space. Since wireless does seem to work now (knock on wood), I'll continue with it.

If it stops, I'll probably go wired and just chalk it up to another instance of "newer doesn't mean better" when it comes to the new Roku.
shelleyp

Postby bennor3814 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm

shelleyp wrote:Evidently the original Rokus can handle the WPA & WPA2 encryption while the new Roku cannot.

I have my Roku 2 XS (two of them) connected to a wireless router using WPA2 (Personal Mixed). I found that I have to set the Wireless Algorithm to "TKIP+AES" else one of my wireless devices (non Roku) will not connect wirelessly to the router.
bennor3814

Postby shelleyp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

bennor3814 wrote:
shelleyp wrote:Evidently the original Rokus can handle the WPA & WPA2 encryption while the new Roku cannot.

I have my Roku 2 XS (two of them) connected to a wireless router using WPA2 (Personal Mixed). I found that I have to set the Wireless Algorithm to "TKIP+AES" else one of my wireless devices (non Roku) will not connect wirelessly to the router.

That's what my Actiontec router uses by default. No way to change it to anything else.

An advantage to the change I made tonight (other than being able to connect to my Roku) is one of my older PCs can now connect wirelessly, where before it needed to be hardwired.

I sure wish I knew why the older Rokus didn't have the same problem the newer one does. You would expect the opposite problem.
shelleyp

Postby bennor3814 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 am

What is the model name/number for the Actiontec router?
bennor3814

Postby RickRansom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 pm

bennor3814 wrote:What is the model name/number for the Actiontec router?

I believe it's GT724WGR.
Same resolution from this thread.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby akoanghero » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

shelleyp wrote:Changing one's wireless password is not necessarily a trivial thing, but I did.

I used a simple alpha character password, and the connection did not work.

You could try to set wireless security if using a wpa type to mixed wpa/wpa2 psk(tkip+aes)
that should work.
akoanghero

Postby shelleyp » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

RickRansom wrote:
bennor3814 wrote:What is the model name/number for the Actiontec router?

I believe it's GT724WGR.
Same resolution from this thread.

Yes, sorry for late answer: this is my router.

Just to say it works great with the change. I really like the adaptive bitrate, rather than the buffering. Was going to try subtitles, but evidently these aren't working at the moment.
shelleyp

Postby Spizro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 am

Quick tip, I had the same problem. I set up my roku 2xs to wireless and it worked fine. Then I decided to make it look pretty and get new matching HDMI cables for all my stuff. I bought Ethernet HDMI cables, while using this cable it would not allow me to connect to wireless. I swapped it out with my old school plain Jane HDMI and bam! It started working! Do you know if your HDMI cable is Ethernet compatible? If so try one that isn't! Worked for me :) and hope it helps! And yes I know, how stupid that it does that!
Spizro

Postby McVicious » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Had issue connecting my Roku 2 XS wireless. I would continue to get error 014 after it would connect to wireless router but would fail on local network.

Knowing that I have entered all the correct information and everything else in the house was working wireless I started looking threw the forums. All of them said try and do power cycles, run wireless with no password, run the device in the DMZ which all failed.

After looking at every single menu in my Router GUI (Netgear WNDR4500) I noticed a setting that I thought was completely meant for something else. Under the wireless settings there is a check box for "Enable Wireless Isolation". It had been checked. Reading the "help" section on the bottom of the page clued me in what this was actually for. After un checking the box and applying the settings I went downstairs and attempted to connect the Roku again and BOOM what do you know, it works. I was using Power over Ethernet plugs which worked great but knowing that the wireless on the Roku should work period I wanted to figure it all out. As far as I could see no one has mentioned this in any of the trouble shooting forums I quickly glanced at. Not all routers have this function and many of the issues I did read was when people had changed wireless routers/ upgraded firmware.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue, took me a few hours and hope it saves you time and frustration :)
McVicious

Postby McVicious » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 pm

bennor3814 wrote:

most likely the device you are connecting is not a "N" device but a "G". Using the AES TKIP+AES defaults to "G" at max transmit of 54Mbps
McVicious

Postby socantra » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:43 pm

McVicious wrote:Had issue connecting my Roku 2 XS wireless. I would continue to get error 014 ..............
............... Under the wireless settings there is a check box for "Enable Wireless Isolation". It had been checked. ............ After un checking the box and applying the settings................, it works..................... As far as I could see no one has mentioned this in any of the trouble shooting forums I quickly glanced at..............

Glad you got it going. Error 014 typically means a the router blocking pings. A search for "wireless isolation" or "isolation" in the box at the top of the page will turn up about 6 pages of results. As you say, not all routers have the feature and it sometimes goes by different names. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion