Adding BBC iPlayer to US Roku box in the UK?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Adding BBC iPlayer to US Roku box in the UK?

Postby BungalowBill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 am

The subject of BBC iPlayer being available to UK Roku users appears to be all over the techy blogs this morning.

I have a USA Roku box (Netgear XD) from eBay and I am in the UK - I only use it with Roksbox as a media streamer, I have no interest in any US channels, but now BBC iPlayer is available I would like to add it.

How do I make my US Roku box think it is a UK box? Clearly there are no IP issues accessing iPlayer, as I am in the UK.

My Roku account, that I originally set up, thinks I am in the US - no surprise as I set it up 6 months ago. BUT oddly enough if I go to http://www.roku.com/uk - click Sign In, then Register Account - it STILL gives me a new US account even though I am in the UK and BEFORE I tell it what box I have - is that part of the Roku site broken? What are people with genuine UK boxes doing if the website doesn't let you create a UK account?

Bill
BungalowBill

Re: Adding BBC iPlayer to US Roku box in the UK?

Postby kc8pql » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:19 am

According to what Roku has posted here, your Roku1 box won't work with the UK channel store. Only Roku2 boxes purchased
from Amazon UK have the necessary firmware to work. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-3100EU-Receiver-Set-Top-Box/dp/B006VTASW4/
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby BungalowBill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 am

Presumably, then, a "political" thing rather than a technical one, as I don't recall seeing any update to the SDK that suggests channels for UK boxes need to be made differently to channels for US ones...

Thought for Roku then, if they made my US-sourced box work in the UK, I might install other UK channels - and doubtlessly send some money their way. I'm not, though, going to go out and buy a new box :x

Early adopters never win!
BungalowBill

Postby kc8pql » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 am

At least part of it is that the R1 boxes can't use adaptive bitrate streams, so even if you could connect to a UK account, the box wouldn't be capable of playing channels that use them, like Netflix and probably iplayer. The R1 boxes run version 3.XX firmware. The R2's, which are completely different hardware, run version 4.XX. Bottom line is, Roku isn't going to support discontinued models and grey market hardware in a region that Roku has never officially served before. Makes sense to me.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion