Nova

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Nova

Postby thouse » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am

Is there a way to watch Nova episides? Also looking for Birding Adbventures. We're new to Roku, need help.
thouse

Re: Nova

Postby DBDukes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 am

thouse wrote:Is there a way to watch Nova episides? Also looking for Birding Adbventures. We're new to Roku, need help.

Keep in mind that Roku is simply a device that allows you to watch content from channels. Think of it as an extension for your TV. It allows you to pick certain channels via the Internet rather than over the air or over cable.

Nova has episodes available via Hulu+ -- which is a subscription service. It's $8/month for the Hulu+ catalog. Keep in mind that the Hulu catalog (free, watchable via your browser only) is not the same catalog as the Hulu+ catalog. If you look at Hulu's Website, and you see the little green "+" next to the show, it's available with a Hulu+ subscription, and, with a subscription, you can watch it on your Roku. If there is no little green "+" then you can't watch it on your Roku.

Some episodes of Nova are also available via Netflix streaming -- also a subscription service ($8/month). If you go to the Netflix Website, the streaming content will be marked as such. Some content is disk only (not included with a streaming subscription), some content is streaming only, some content is both.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, many episodes of Nova are available for free streaming via the free Amazon app you can find in the Roku Channel Store. If you are not an Amazon Prime member, you can purchase episodes for $1.99 each, or around $1/episode if you buy a full season. Again, you'd need to add the free Amazon app.

I haven't found any Nova episodes via a non-subscription service, such as Crackle.

By the way, these subscriptions aren't payments to Roku; they are payments to the individual service providers.

With cable, if you want a subscription service (HBO, Showtime, etc), you pay the cable company and they pay the service. With Roku, if you want a subscription service (Netflix, Hulu+, etc) you pay the service directly, not through Roku.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby socantra » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 am

It should also be pointed out that NOVA is available thru PBS by OTA antenna to many (not all) of the households in this country.

If you are fairly close to a major metro area, an indoor antenna might be all that is required. Further out, an outdoor antenna might be necessary. Further out, or with special problems, you might be out of luck.

Sites such as http://tvfool.com can provide more information on your possibilities and requirements depending on your location by zip code.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 am

I think the PBS channel includes NOVA.

Try https://owner.roku.com/Add/PBS to install it.
Gilgamesh

Postby socantra » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I think the PBS channel includes NOVA.

I believe the content on the PBS channel, like the content on Nowhere TV, is just video podcasts, or clips rather than full episodes.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm

socantra wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I think the PBS channel includes NOVA.

I believe the content on the PBS channel, like the content on Nowhere TV, is just video podcasts, or clips rather than full episodes.

as far as i have seen, you are correct.
i know there's at least one web analyst for PBS who is campaigning for a roku channel based on twitter and facebook requests to PBS. if you want an official channel, please go bug PBS and give her more ammunition!
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion