Trouble with Roku to TV via HDMI cable [Sceptre TV]

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Trouble with Roku to TV via HDMI cable [Sceptre TV]

Postby jeffrok » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 am

One of the disadvantages of buying a generic TV: Poor support.. Not that this same poor support doesn't exist for larger brands too.. I remember trying to get info on a Samsung TV I used to own, with very little success either.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby empirefalls » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm

GOOD NEWS :D :D :D

i am not done yet, but i have been successful in getting Roku to show up on the Sceptre TV via HDMI
i am not sure yet what worked, i lost the picture again, but i should get to the bottom of what is going on, and will post anther update, and maybe closure.

i noticed the Sceptre tv manual says to have the tv OFF,when you hook a HDMI cord to the TV. I noticed something about the HDMI cord to the back of the Roku. It may be a bad HDMI cord, as some poster mentioned trying. It may be a combination of alot of minor items. I am not sure what worked but i am on the parh to finding out.
empirefalls

Postby steamer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 pm

empirefalls wrote:GOOD NEWS :D :D :D

i am not done yet, but i have been successful in getting Roku to show up on the Sceptre TV via HDMI
i am not sure yet what worked, i lost the picture again, but i should get to the bottom of what is going on, and will post anther update, and maybe closure.

i noticed the Sceptre tv manual says to have the tv OFF,when you hook a HDMI cord to the TV. I noticed something about the HDMI cord to the back of the Roku. It may be a bad HDMI cord, as some poster mentioned trying. It may be a combination of alot of minor items. I am not sure what worked but i am on the parh to finding out.

that was it for me ... the connection on the Roku. It would come and go. I'd reset it, jiggle it ... and it would work.
Has been now for quite a while but I am careful to not move it or the box if I can help it.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby empirefalls » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:05 pm

BREAKING NEWS ....THIS WORKED

Here is the Sceptre TV, here is the Roku, here is the HDMI cord

Shut the Sceptre TV OFF
Roku, i had the power cord in the Roku and the HDMI hooked up to the Roku. Nothing else hooked up to the back of the Roku

I hooked the HDMI cord from the back of Roku to the TV's HDMI slot., nothing else.

I turned on the TV

In the TV source option in the menu, i made sure the TV source was set to the proper HDMI slot the Roku was plugged into.

Here is where it gets tricky. I got the Roku setting up picture,then lost it. i gently jiggled the HDMI cord where it is plugged into the Roku,the picture came back, i lost the pciture, i jiggled more and than i must have got it just right, the Roku stayed on. There is something jsut not right with the HDMI cord and the Roku slot,something not compatible. The HDMI cord i am using is a cheapo cord i bought. I am thinking that is the problem, a cheap HDMI cord. If you try this; BE CAREFUL not to break the inside of the Roku HDMI slot.

i credit poster Heyitsrick for solving this problem.
empirefalls

Postby Heyitsrick » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:32 am

empirefalls wrote:BREAKING NEWS ....THIS WORKED

Here is the Sceptre TV, here is the Roku, here is the HDMI cord

Shut the Sceptre TV OFF
Roku, i had the power cord in the Roku and the HDMI hooked up to the Roku. Nothing else hooked up to the back of the Roku

I hooked the HDMI cord from the back of Roku to the TV's HDMI slot., nothing else.

I turned on the TV

In the TV source option in the menu, i made sure the TV source was set to the proper HDMI slot the Roku was plugged into.

Here is where it gets tricky. I got the Roku setting up picture,then lost it. i gently jiggled the HDMI cord where it is plugged into the Roku,the picture came back, i lost the pciture, i jiggled more and than i must have got it just right, the Roku stayed on. There is something jsut not right with the HDMI cord and the Roku slot,something not compatible. The HDMI cord i am using is a cheapo cord i bought. I am thinking that is the problem, a cheap HDMI cord. If you try this; BE CAREFUL not to break the inside of the Roku HDMI slot.

I'm glad it's working for you, but I'm not sure what I did to get credit for it. The other person's problem with his Sceptre was that he was getting a lot of stuttering on audio/video with Netflix on his Sceptre. He didn't have a problem actually getting the picture to show up. It seemed to be more of a performance issue. Now, I guess there's some chance that the stuttering was the momentary loss of HDMI handshaking for him, but I'm not sure I can take credit for that. But in any event, I'm glad your set is working!
Heyitsrick

Postby atheling » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:00 am

empirefalls wrote:...

I've seen other posts regarding some HDMI cables where the plastic/rubber moulding around the plugs needed to be cut back to allow the cable to fully seat. I wonder if that is part of your issue here.
atheling

Postby steamer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 am

steamer wrote:
empirefalls wrote:GOOD NEWS :D :D :D

that was it for me ... the connection on the Roku. It would come and go. I'd reset it, jiggle it ... and it would work.
Has been now for quite a while but I am careful to not move it or the box if I can help it.

~~~
as mentioned:
"Occam's razor, also known as Ockham's razor, and sometimes expressed in Latin as lex parsimoniae (the law of parsimony, economy or succinctness),
is a principle that generally recommends that, from among competing hypotheses, selecting the one that makes the fewest new assumptions usually
provides the correct one, and that the simplest explanation will be the most plausible until evidence is presented to prove it false."

saves on the pulling out of hair.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby empirefalls » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:........................
I'm glad it's working for you, but I'm not sure what I did to get credit for it. The other person's problem with his Sceptre was that he was getting a lot of stuttering on audio/video with Netflix on his Sceptre. He didn't have a problem actually getting the picture to show up. It seemed to be more of a performance issue. Now, I guess there's some chance that the stuttering was the momentary loss of HDMI handshaking for him, but I'm not sure I can take credit for that. But in any event, I'm glad your set is working!

The first couple of times i finally did get a picture,i kept losing and getting the picture back.
empirefalls

Postby empirefalls » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

I bought a new High Speed HDMI Cable, 3' at Target
[paid $22...same one at Walmart was $27]

--------------------------------------------------
Pulled out the power cord plug for the Roku
Shut of the TV
Hooked up the HDMI
Re plugged the power cord plug to the Roku
Turned the TV 'ON'
----------------------------------------------------
Excellent connection instantly. No playing with the HDMI cord

file photo from internet
empirefalls

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 pm

empirefalls wrote:I bought a new High Speed HDMI Cable, 3' at Target
[paid $22...same one at Walmart was $27]

--------------------------------------------------
Pulled out the power cord plug for the Roku
Shut of the TV
Hooked up the HDMI
Re plugged the power cord plug to the Roku
Turned the TV 'ON'
----------------------------------------------------
Excellent connection instantly. No playing with the HDMI cord

While I understand that you probably wanted to get the cable right away but you vastly overpaid.

Take a look at this one at Monoprice. Including standard shipping it is only $7.79 and is, probably, a better cable than the one you got from Walmart.

When looking for most inter-connecting products for electronics the online sources are usually a LOT less expensive and better quality.

Some time ago I bought several of their cables just so I would have them available as I add devices.

If you can still return the cable you bought I would recommend ordering one from Monoprice and, after receipt, returning the Walmart one.
Gilgamesh

Postby RickRansom » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

This is what I use now and it's been doing it's job quite well.

This is from the same page from the HDMI cable that I linked earlier.
30 day money back guarantee!
No restocking fee!
Easy return!
100% safe SSL encrypted shopping!
PCI-DSS Level 1 Compliant!
9.59/10 Resellerratings.com Customer Satisfaction Rate!
Lifetime warranty on all cables and non-electronic products!
Free life time tech support!
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Heyitsrick » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 am

Yeah, I hate it when I see these ridiculous HDMI cable prices at box stores. Monoprice.com has been my place to go for years now.
Heyitsrick

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion