014 Error - Cannot Connect to LOCAL Network

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

014 Error - Cannot Connect to LOCAL Network

Postby ShanMT1999 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Greetings:

Like many others I am unable to connect and receiving the dreaded 014 error code.

This issue started one week ago when I moved and switched ISPs from Fios to Comcast Xfinity.
Have not been able to connect to the LOCAL network at all since moving and switching to Comcast, despite all other wireless devices hopping right on the network with the proper network key.

I have been bounced back and forth between Roku and Comcast endlessly.
I have now been "escalated" with Roku, but have no idea when I will be contacted.

Maybe some forum members can help; I have read as many posts on this topic as I can and have also run all trouble shooting steps Roku provided by email, live chat and phone :(

Here's some info.

ISP: Comcast Xfinity
Modem/Router Combo: SMCD3GNV
Roku Model: Roku2 HD
"Red-Light" Step: 2 - Connecting to Local Network

What I've tried:
1. Checked to make sure the network key is correct (have been able to add other components, including laptop and printer); network key was entered correctly with proper capitalization.
2. Checked to make sure signal is strong without interference.
3. Changed encryption on wireless router (even tried with an open network).
4. Reboot (power cycle) of modem and Roku HD box. I did make sure to remove battery backup from router before this step. Even unhooked coaxial from router/modem combo.
5. Reset Roku 2 HD box to factory preset using Roku’s “settings” menu.
6. Reset Roku 2 HD box to factory preset using paperclip method.
7. Logged into router gateway:
A) Changed Channel (tried all available options - 1, 6, and 11)
B) Made sure MAC filtering is disabled as instructed by Roku
C) Played with all types of encryption including a completely open network
D) Made sure SSID is broadcasting (it is visible on the Roku and has max signal anyhow)
E) Made sure DHCP is enabled (It is and both my laptop and printer are DHCP and working fine)
F) Checked connected devices and under "View the computers connected to the Gateway's LAN." I can clearly see my Roku listed:
Host Name: NP-11A16N001819
IP Address: 10.0.0.4
DHCP/Static IP: DHCP
Connection: Wireless
MAC Address: 00:0D:4B:94:33:31

I am at wit's end... anyone have any magical advice before I tear all my hair out???

Thanks in advance,
-Shannon
ShanMT1999

Re: 014 Error - Cannot Connect to LOCAL Network

Postby knuckle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 am

Hi shanon-----------------

you did the reset so the roku now needs to update correct? The router you used with the fios set up--do you still have it or was it supplied by them? I ask because comcast has a history of 1--using custom firmware where one can not change dns servers and 2-- not having roku(or perhaps actively blocking it) on their dns.

that said we should get error 013 and not 014 ... and you did it with the fire wall disabled on the router which should have gotten you to the second green light...

try disabling the firewall on the router then power cycle your roku with the fire wall down--it should come up like a new unit taking you to the wireless network page on the roku--you should get to the second green light at that point with error code 013

if it can we will be ahead and can then know whether placing the roku in a dmz will help

we will get this figured out while you still have hair though so don't worry :)
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Unfortunately, I followed the steps provided to no avail :(

I completely disabled the firewall on my SMCD3GNV router/modem, power cycled the Roku2 HD by unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in.
After waiting for the Roku to reboot, it went to the setup screen. I clicked OK and it went to the "in-range network" page; I selected my network (still had max signal), viewed my CORRECT network key (still displayed on my Roku) and began the 3-step test.

Same result. GREEN light - connecting to wireless network. RED light - connecting to Local Network. Error 014.

Went back into router to remove all encryption (had been set back to WPA). With totally OPEN and UNFIREWALLED network, power cycled the Roku again.
Tried connecting again.
Step 1 GREEN Light; step 2 RED Light - received 014 error yet again.

As far as I can tell, there has been no progress.
My Roku still shows in my gateway profile as being a connected device, but I cannot connect to my local network.

Any more ideas?

To answer one of your questions, my prior router/modem combo WAS provided by FIOS, AND I still have it. I have not tried using it at all yet, as I assumed it too was flashed with proprietary protocols and would not work with Comcast.

Thanks again for trying to help; any further advice will be followed with utmost care.
Feel free to keep trying... losing follicles by the minute :D
ShanMT1999

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Do you have any other nearby electronics? Or any electronic between the router and the Roku? All your settings seem correct, so at this point I'd say it's either an interference issue, or something to do with the router. If you can try the old router (shut down the Roku completely, and then insure that the old router successfully connects to the internet before rebooting the Roku), that may give us some clues.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby RickRansom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Perhaps the roku can't detect the connection because it's looking for a new connection. It's like the Roku is asking for another IP but your router is still giving it the old one. From my Cisco router, there is an option to delete a device/connection from the DHCP table. Does your modem/router have the same feature? If yes, try to give it a shot. After removing the player from the DHCP table, power cycle the roku and try again.
Everyone is a genius.
But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:09 pm

RickRansom wrote:Perhaps the roku can't detect the connection because it's looking for a new connection. It's like the Roku is asking for another IP but your router is still giving it the old one. From my Cisco router, there is an option to delete a device/connection from the DHCP table. Does your modem/router have the same feature? If yes, try to give it a shot. After removing the player from the DHCP table, power cycle the roku and try again.

Good idea!

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:36 pm

@Rick - I do have an option to remove the Roku from the table, but then it will automatically BLOCK it from the network.
Not sure what will happen if I do this... will I then get a new IP, or will this just create yet ANOTHER obstacle to overcome in connecting I wonder :?:
Can a "blocked" device be unblocked, or is this a permanent move???

@ Shawn - of course there are other electronic devices which could be interfering; I have to have the TV ON to see what's happening with my Roku. I also have a cable box, a computer, cordless phones, etc in the general vicinity. However, all the steps I've taken while my Roku is 15 feet away in the bedroom, I've also tried with the Roku in the living room about a foot from my router. There aren't any devices (such as a VOIP or anything) actually installed BETWEEN my Router/Modem and anything else to my knowledge. The router is plugged into a power strip for its juice. The only other wires attached are a phone cord going to my cordless home phone, and the coaxial cable running into a splitter connected to Comcast via a single coaxial cable going into the wall. Same typical basic set-up as I had in my old home with FIOS.

Our Xbox360 console is also connected to the Router/Modem via ethernet cable, but is not powered on nor connected to the internet when I've tried the Roku set-up.
In fact, the Xbox was NOT connected at all yet when we first started trying to install Roku over a week ago. We didn't set-up our Xbox until days later.

With the Roku unplugged, I will try to connect my FIOS provided Router/Modem combo unit to the internet via Comcast to see if I can connect ANY devices; if that works, I will try Roku on that router and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your suggestion(s),
-Shannon
ShanMT1999

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:50 pm

ShanMT1999 wrote:@Rick - I do have an option to remove the Roku from the table, but then it will automatically BLOCK it from the network.
Not sure what will happen if I do this... will I then get a new IP, or will this just create yet ANOTHER obstacle to overcome in connecting I wonder :?:
Can a "blocked" device be unblocked, or is this a permanent move???

Okay, so now we have both Shawn and Rick down with this suggestion.
I am more than willing to try it, but not before the above questions are addressed... I'd hate to "block" the Roku from my network, have that action be irrevocable and set myself back to a RED light on Step ONE :?
ShanMT1999

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 pm

If you delete it, it's not that it's blocked. The Roku, when it powers back up, should request a new IP address, and the router will respond by giving it a new one. At least that's the way it SHOULD work, to my knowledge, but wait for Rick's response, since he has a little more knowledge on what will happen.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:21 pm

I couldn't wait... I'm like a woman on a mission, LOL!

My gateway page has a "delete" button next to the Roku's IP, but when you click delete it does automatically take you to "block this device." No option to simply delete the IP without blocking.

I did it anyway (deleted/blocked with Roku unplugged). Restarted Roku - connected to my not firewalled unsecured network (no network key required) and still got stuck at step 2. It did take far longer to gave me the RED light when failing to connect to the local network; that is the only noticeable difference.
I assume this is because the Roku's IP is now blocked. I don't see any options in my router's gateway page which would allow me to force a new IP request for the Roku.

Again, when I delete the Roku from the connected devices list on my gateway page, there is no other choice but to block the device :(

Still need to locate/try my old FIOS router/modem.

I swear this MUST be Comcast blocking Roku somehow with their proprietary firmware... Roku is the ONLY device we've had any issues connecting at all.
My main hesitation on simply assuming this though, is that Roku actually connects to my wireless network (can see its IP in my "connected devices list) but we get the red light at step 2.

I guess the only way to know for sure will be if I can successfully connect to the 'net through my FIOS router, as I had no issues ever connecting Roku through that device at my old apartment. Now - I just need to see if I the FIOS equipment will indeed work at all through Comcast.

Arrrrrrgh!
ShanMT1999

Postby knuckle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi shannon----------------------

hook your other router up to the one provided by comcast via ethernet and then try the power cycle on the roku--if it connects and you wish to keep comcast as your provider you can have them bridge their modem and you can buy another (I recommend the lynksys ) router to run your network through.That will also eliminate the dns issue that I am almost certain will be your next hurdle---- I am really beginning to dislike comcast

best of luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635

knuckle

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:39 pm

If you push the paperclip button on the router itself, that will reset it to its factory default state, just like it does on the Roku. You'll have to setup your router again, but that should erase the Roku block (kind of silly that it does it like this), and might get you through. I recommend NOT hooking up any security if you do this, until AFTER the Roku is connected, however.

Good luck, and thanks for being patient :) Hope you still have a few hairs left! lol

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:42 pm

OKAY - Major UPDATE!!!

I was just able to connect successfully (all three steps and account link/updates) on someone else's nearby unsecured intermittently accessible wifi network.

This means the issue is either with my Router/Modem or something else directly having to do with Comcast, correct?
ShanMT1999

Postby knuckle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi shannon--------------

in the last two weeks I have tried to help two other comcast subscribers with these issues-- unfortunately they were new purchasers and chose to return their roku's but I am convinced it is a comcast issue.They install private software on their modems which basically cripple (from an open use perspective)otherwise good functioning equipment.I think Roku scares the pants off them.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635

knuckle

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

ShanMT1999 wrote:OKAY - Major UPDATE!!!

I was just able to connect successfully (all three steps and account link/updates) on someone else's nearby unsecured intermittently accessible wifi network.

This means the issue is either with my Router/Modem or something else directly having to do with Comcast, correct?

Yup :)

As knuckle said, there's actually a few cable networks that do this now, to prevent end-users from doing things they don't want them to do, plus it allows them to have a better handle on what the customer is doing (ie, illegal torrent/piracy concerns). If the older modem/router wont' work, you might have success with an off-the-shelf model (if THAT doesn't work, then you can always return it).

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion