Roku constantly disconnecting from Internet

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku constantly disconnecting from Internet

Postby babycakes444 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Bought Roku brand new a few weeks ago and have used it just a few times since. I've discovered that I can't do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, on it without it losing a connection to Internet. I can't play more than a few songs on Pandora before it freezes up and disconnects, cannot get through one one-hour episode of a TV show on Amazon Prime before it disconnects, cannot play a movie on Crackle or any other channel without it disconnecting, etc. etc. That is, if I can even get those things to load to begin with. Not even going to bother to get Netflix or Hulu Plus at this present time as they are paid services and with the way things are going at the moment, they'd clearly be a waste of money. I have gone through the steps to make for an "optimal Roku streaming experience", including factory reset...still doing the same. The Roku is set up wirelessly and we have the fastest Internet connection our Internet company provides. There is a Wii in the household as well that streams everything just fine with zero problems. Laptops, desktops, ipod Touch, etc. all run perfectly fine in the same household without any problems, so I would have a really hard time believing it has anything to do with our Internet connection. I REALLY want to love the Roku, I can say with certainty I would (and that's even before getting the other services that would make it that much better, like Netflix and what not) if it were not acting up like this, but as of now it's been an extremely disappointing experience. Having a hard time finding any solutions online as it seems to be a real 50/50 split regarding other peoples experience with the Roku...in the same forums/posts, I've seen people proclaiming absolute love for their Roku and others claiming nothing but having problems with theirs. Any ideas, suggestions, etc????
babycakes444

Re: Roku constantly disconnecting from Internet

Postby DBDukes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Though I don't have any suggestions for you regarding finding a solution -- I suspect others more network knowledgable may offer some good suggestions -- let me mention that I suspect it's more than 50/50 regarding like/dislike of the Roku. If it was even odds on one working without a problem, I'd have had some, I imagine. I've purchased a total of 10 of the devices for me and for my family. If they weren't super reliable, it's likely that I'd have had some issues. Most people are happy and never contact the support forum. I'm just not most people.

I will offer this: provide some information about your Internet connection speed, and about your router. While I may not be able to assist, if you go ahead and follow up with that bit of information, you may find that someone is familiar with a setup like yours and will be able to steer you to a solution.

Hope it all works out, and you get plenty of good usage from it. I know I love my Roku.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby knuckle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi babycakes (love the user name btw)-------------------

what router are you using? have you tried moving the roku a bit?have you tried changing channels on your router?DNS server etc?
do you notice the drops if you turn your ipod off?There are many things it could be so we can take it one at a time.

post back and we will get this sorted
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby babycakes444 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Hey (and thanks, I seem to hear that alot about that username haha),

I'm realizing now that I didn't really provide much in the specs department in my first post....we have the Roku 2 XD model. It's connected wirelessly to the modem, which is a Model DPC2101 Scientific Atlantic Cable Modem. To the best of my knowledge, we have 10Mbps/800Kbps cable broadband service (I believe our cable co. was doing an upgrade at some point soon, or perhaps already, to all of their internet plans). I've tried moving the Roku around to a couple different spots, we live in fairly close quarters so it's near - but certainly not right next to - the modem, but not sure how close is best in respect to the modem or if it's just fine where it is. Signal strength shown in the Roku settings always shows it at full strength, even when it's giving me troubles. I haven't tried changing any settings or channels, once I read the advice of "these steps are intended for customers familiar with making changes in their routers and networking components", I refrained from doing so as I've always left that stuff up to the cable guys and I didn't want the bad luck of somehow disconnecting our cable/internet service altogether (bad luck isn't foreign to me, that's for sure). I have turned off the ipod Touch a couple of the times I used the Roku, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

So...that's what I've got so far. Thanks alot for your quick response and I'll await the next post. In the meantime, I'll certainly still keep playing with the Roku and being hopeful for a better experience with it :)
babycakes444

Postby FX4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Are you in house, apartment, or condo? When you turn on your computers do you see your neighbors networks?
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby babycakes444 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:50 pm

In an apartment...and yes, I do see a couple of the neighbors networks listed on Roku, ipod and computers.
babycakes444

Postby j.m. » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:06 am

Are you sure that model number is correct? I can find information about a DPC2100 but not DPC2101. Besides the Wii, what else is connected to the Internet?
j.m.

Postby babycakes444 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:15 am

Yep, that is the model number. Currently connected is the Wii, the Roku, one desktop comp (wired to modem), one laptop (wirelessly of course) and for the most part the ipod Touch is always connected.
babycakes444

Postby babycakes444 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:25 am

Weird, I did a search also and found a few instances where those two model numbers were interchanged mistakenly fairly for some reason. That is the model number/brand name I got off of my online cable co. account, but perhaps it is a misprint there as well and that it is DPC2100. Honestly, I didn't check directly off the modem itself...it's in my 18-year-old's room, he's been sick and sleeping all day, didn't want to bother him, blah blah blah.
babycakes444

Postby babycakes444 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:27 am

that should say "fairly often" above there...I hate my own typing mistakes
babycakes444

Postby dwanthny » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 am

babycakes444 wrote:that should say "fairly often" above there...I hate my own typing mistakes

FYI, you should be able edit your own post.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby babycakes444 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:36 am

D'oh! This is true...it's 3:30am, been a long day :roll:
babycakes444

Postby FX4 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 am

Okay what you want to do for starters is change the wireless channel. Try 6 then 11.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby knuckle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 am

Hi Babycakes----------------

is there another router in the mix somewhere? I've looked up the scientific atlanta and cisco pages and from what I can see your modem/gateway doesn't do wireless ..... also who is your cable provider?
May have better luck troubleshooting if we can get info from their support page :)
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby FX4 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am

Well that is a cable modem and not a router so either she has another router or she is grabbing wireless from a neighbor or the model is wrong.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion