master remote?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

master remote?

Postby k1982 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Is there a master remote that I can use for my roku, TV and surround sound? I'd prefer 1 remote instead of 3.
k1982

Re: master remote?

Postby j.m. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 pm

k1982 wrote:Is there a master remote that I can use for my roku, TV and surround sound? I'd prefer 1 remote instead of 3.

Sure, look at the Logitech Harmony remotes. I like the Harmony One.
j.m.

Postby renojim » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Don't get a Harmony 300. I hate, hate, HATE mine. :twisted:

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DBDukes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

k1982 wrote:Is there a master remote that I can use for my roku, TV and surround sound? I'd prefer 1 remote instead of 3.

As much as I like my Harmony remote, it is expensive. My son found a universal that controls his TV, sound, and Roku at Best Buy and paid under $20 for it. Unfortunately, I don't recall the brand or model, but if you're near a Best Buy or a Radio Shack or some other such place, check out their universals. Heck, check Walmart or Kmart/Sears. Most have the compatible devices on the back, and you can save lots of $$$.

But, if you want a kick-butt remote, the Harmony One is great.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 pm

renojim wrote:Don't get a Harmony 300. I hate, hate, HATE mine. :twisted:

-JT

And I really like my Harmony 300. It's a good universal if you've only got a few devices (it controls up to 4). My biggest issue is that you need a Windows or Mac to program it, but once it's set up, it's pretty nice. And cheap, too.
mikebdoss

Postby TheEndless » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:36 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

-JT

And I really like my Harmony 300. It's a good universal if you've only got a few devices (it controls up to 4). My biggest issue is that you need a Windows or Mac to program it, but once it's set up, it's pretty nice. And cheap, too.

It's probably really nice if you've never owned another Harmony before, but it's so crippled compared to the other Harmony's that it's absolutely miserable to program (IMHO). I'm with renojim on this one, but then, I'm a remote snob, so my opinion probably doesn't count.. :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 pm

-JT

I mostly agree. The lower end Harmony remotes leave a lot to be desired and should generally be avoided. However the higher end, I have an 880 and I love it, are a completely different story.

They are simply the easiest to set up and use in an advanced and/or complex system of all the remotes I have tried.

My system includes a TV, Roku, WD Live Plus, VuNow, AV receiver, remote controlled composite AV switch, remote controlled component AV switch, 400 disk DVD player, DVD recorder, 2 VCRs, VGA to Component adapter, and a PC set as a PVR. My Harmony controls all of that and my space heater to keep my feet warm.

It takes a little setup and a bit to get used to the idea of "Activities" but once that is accomplished controlling a complex system is quite easy.

I think the 880 that I have is great but, when it finally gives up, I will get the One or its successor as they offer even more functionality and the 880 has been superseded by them already.

There are many many lesser universal remotes that will do the job for a few devices and some that are as powerful as the Harmony but I have yet to find one that is not WAY over priced for me and comes close to the ease and versatility of the Harmony line.

Of course one of these will do about anything that a remote can do but it is a bit more pricey than a Harmony.
Gilgamesh

Postby haviruzz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 am

I have used the URC R50 for the past two years and give it highest recommendations. Learning curve a little steep but there is an excellent tutorial online. ROKU is in its internal database. I did try one the expensive Harmony remotes a few years ago but didn't like it because some of the buttons were placed so close together and were so small that is near impossible to press one button without pressing its neighbor and I medium to small size hands and fingers.. Sorry can't remember the model. My system is the Roku 3100X, Pioneer 60 Plasma ( 4 hdmi, two Component plus), Onkyo receiver, Sony soundbar and subwoofer, Sony 400 DVD/CD player, toshiba DVD player/recorder, Verizon FIOS 7232 STB w/external esata 500G, X-10 Lights controller.

The R50 handles all individually or with macros and is one-handed with the rare exception. The only time I need the ROKU remote is for games.
ROKU2XS wired
haviruzz

Postby xackley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm

http://www.amazon.com/URC-R6-Learning-R ... pd_sim_e_4

This will work just fine and does what a remote is supposed to.
I bought mine a few years ago, and I had to Teach the roku commands to the Universal. It's pretty easy.
I don't know if the pre programming has been updated for the roku.

Any learning remote will work.

PS: before starting the Learning, you can copy the tv settings to the deice profile you will use for the roku buttons. This means that the things like the volume buttons will adjust the tv volume when in roku control mode. The book tells you the magic buttons to press to copy the TV setting to another profile.
xackley

Postby zzxx » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:31 pm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-7-Fun ... e/17491948
Philips 7-Function Universal Remote, SRP5107WM/17

This is also learning remote from Philips that can be had for $10 at Walmart today. It does not have a standard code for the Roku but you can simply learn all the specific command buttons to a selected function. This remote is highly ergonomic and the command button layout of this remote is easy as anything to recognize and use. It is well worth the $10 dollar price tag if you do not want to spring for a fancy expensive remote control.
zzxx

Postby elorimer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 pm

As others have noted, a learning remote (not just a universal remote) can learn the Roku commands, if you have the original remote. You also want a volume punch through so the volume/mute keys control the sound.

In more complicated setups, having a macro capability is also useful. In the OPs case, he'd want a macro button that turned on the TV (if it wasn't on), turn on the surround sound (if it wasn't on), switched the TV to the Roku input, and left the input in the control mode for the Roku. Then another to turn on the TV (if it wasn't on), turn on the surround sound (if it wasn't on), switch the TV to the TV mode, and leave the input in the control mode for the TV. Then a third, to turn off the TV (if it is on) and the Surround (if it is on). (That leads you to want to know, before you buy something, whether it has discrete on/off and input codes.)

JP1 is way more fun than Harmony, and way cheaper. For those that have the Philips (which clearly looks to be rebranded UEI), is there a JP1 plug in the battery compartment? I don't think it is in the JP1 forums.
elorimer

Postby elorimer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:41 pm

DBDukes wrote: Most have the compatible devices on the back, and you can save lots of $$$.

You have to be careful that it is for the streaming player, and not Soundbridge. The Philips remote, for example, lists a code for Roku, but it isn't for the streaming player.
elorimer

Postby DBDukes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:04 pm

elorimer wrote:
DBDukes wrote: Most have the compatible devices on the back, and you can save lots of $$$.

You have to be careful that it is for the streaming player, and not Soundbridge. The Philips remote, for example, lists a code for Roku, but it isn't for the streaming player.

My son's Phillips remote does work with his Roku box, so there are some. But, you're correct that there are some won't work. If there's a knowledgable sales person, that'll help. But a good return policy would be a good idea when venturing into this territory.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby j.m. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Unless you have a simple setup with few devices, just spend the $100-150 on the Harmony One. Don't bother with the universal remotes or lower end Harmony models.
j.m.

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 am

I have the same devices: TV, Roku, and Sound system. I use the Harmony 200, because I don't need all that many buttons, and would rather have a small, power efficient remote. I honestly wish it was even smaller because not having cable, I really have no need for the number pad. But, whatever, it's small and works. And it was cheap, <$20. All of my devices were in the Harmony database, including the Roku, so it was really easy to set up.
SuetyStanes

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion