Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby gfatcatd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Can I get streaming from Synology NAS with Roku XDS? I mean using NAS as a streaming server without involving any applications running at the other box.
Synology NAS is a DLNA/UPnP server. Can Roku get this or I need WD?
gfatcatd
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby dwanthny » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:59 pm

gfatcatd wrote:Can I get streaming from Synology NAS with Roku XDS? I mean using NAS as a streaming server without involving any applications running at the other box.
Synology NAS is a DLNA/UPnP server. Can Roku get this or I need WD?

Roku boxes are not DLNA clients.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby wpbear » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 am

I use my Synology with Roksbox for streaming. Synology IMO is the best NAS out there.
wpbear
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby dwanthny » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:59 am

wpbear wrote:I use my Synology with Roksbox for streaming. Synology IMO is the best NAS out there.

Which Synology NAS are you using?
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby wpbear » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 am

I think it is a 110 but all AFAIK run the same firmware. I think the 212 is a two drive setup instead of one bay 110 and run the same software.
wpbear
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby sharpedge » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:22 am

I use a DS111 to stream movies/music/photos to my Rokus using the Roksbox channel. There are 3 steps to set things up on the NAS:

1) Click enable web station checkbox in web services
2) Create a .htaccess file to enable directory listing
3) Create symbolic links to point to your media (you might not need this)

There's more detailed info in this thread

There's hope that one day there'll be a plex package for synology NAS that use the ARM processor, but it hasn't happened yet.
sharpedge
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby gfatcatd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 am

sharpedge wrote:I use a DS111 to stream movies/music/photos to my Rokus using the Roksbox channel. There are 3 steps to set things up on the NAS:

1) Click enable web station checkbox in web services
2) Create a .htaccess file to enable directory listing
3) Create symbolic links to point to your media (you might not need this)

There's more detailed info in this thread

There's hope that one day there'll be a plex package for synology NAS that use the ARM processor, but it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks a lot.
Do I understand correctly that Roksbox suppose to run an application at some computer within network and all streaming routed trough this computer?
That's what I'd like to avoid, I'm looking for possibility stream media from NAS to Roku without any other devices (except router of course).
gfatcatd
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby sharpedge » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 pm

gfatcatd wrote:Thanks a lot.
Do I understand correctly that Roksbox suppose to run an application at some computer within network and all streaming routed trough this computer?
That's what I'd like to avoid, I'm looking for possibility stream media from NAS to Roku without any other devices (except router of course).


Roksbox only requires a webserver to be running, and that then handles the requests from the Roksbox Roku channel for files. So step 1 of the setup I described starts the webserver running on the Synology NAS, and then you don't need any other hardware running. The downside of the Roku vs the WD is that the Roku supports less filetypes than the WD would.
sharpedge
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby gfatcatd » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks again, sharpedge.
That's exactly what I need.
gfatcatd
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby tannenba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi, I would like to add my voice to the request for staight DLNA support. I have a Kindle fire and both my DNA-323 NAS servers stream to it. As to an alternative to the Roku, the new TV do it without the box. They see the DLNA source natively.

I have a new XD and find it clunky. It finally connected at 'N', but at a speed of only 65M, so it doesn't stream smooth over the network with Plex when the movie is a large resolution and all of the other streams available (when they work, EI fox doesn't) it spends forever buffering. I know this is a linux box and could do better with a bit better programming, so add me to the disappointed group.
tannenba
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Synology DS212j and Roku XDS?

Postby RickRansom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 pm

tannenba wrote:I have a new XD and find it clunky. It finally connected at 'N', but at a speed of only 65M, so it doesn't stream smooth over the network with Plex when the movie is a large resolution and all of the other streams available (when they work, EI fox doesn't) it spends forever buffering.

Depending on the file that you are transcoding and the processing power of your work station. Even a wireless-G router stuck at 54Mbps would do. Heck, it doesn't even need 20Mbps.

As for the Plex issue, it all boils down to what you feed and how it is being fed to your Roku box.
I can stream 20Gb video files from my i5-2500k workstation to my Roku and it works smoothly.
Try to add more RAM to your PC? :D
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dboff01, Grandpa, judeobscure, optikhog and 15 guests