Can't connect to my wireless network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Can't connect to my wireless network

Postby Ichoosewireless » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Ok I just purchased the Roku HD. Out of the box seems pretty simple. Was painless connecting it up to my TV. A screen came up to press the OK button to connect to my wireless network (which is listed for the area that I am in), from there it looks like it is trying to connect to the internet, but another window shows up and says:

CAN'T CONNECT TO YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK Verify that the wireless router is turned on and you entered the password correctly. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive (error code 014) Try again.

Well I have been told that I don't need a router since it is recognizing my networks. I have no problem getting to that same wireless network thru my notebook. I also went to try "My network is not shown and tried to set the network up with the password in that menu. It did not work either. Can someone help with this problem.
Ichoosewireless

Re: Can't connect to my wireless network

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 pm

If you have a wireless network you have a router.

Use the same user password you use with your other devices.
Gilgamesh

Postby dgrace » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 am

Post what ISP service and modem and maybe we can make suggestions. I've found that some wifi modems require input to allow specific equipment, meaning that you have to go into the modem and see the roku to allow it access.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby Ichoosewireless » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 am

I am using Verizon wireless card to access the internet. The modem is a Novatel Wireless modem in my notebook.
Ichoosewireless

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 am

wait a sec, are you saying that you have a Verizon wireless internet service that you pay for monthly that is accessed via a Verizon wifi access card in your laptop, NOT a service like cable, or DSL that runs into the house into an internet modem then is distributed through your house with a router?
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Ichoosewireless » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 am

:? Yes I do pay a monthly fee for my internet with my provider Verizon. Let me try to explain a little further. There is a free feature Financial network that was thinking of watching on my ROKU device thru the TV instead of the computer. I just presumed that the Roku was a stand alone device to use with Wifi to view on the TV. There are times when I just didn't want to have the notebook sitting on my lap and would be able to watch something on the big screen. I hope I haven't wasted my $$.
Ichoosewireless

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:32 am

Ichoosewireless wrote::? Yes I do pay a monthly fee for my internet with my provider Verizon. Let me try to explain a little further. There is a free feature Financial network that was thinking of watching on my ROKU device thru the TV instead of the computer. I just presumed that the Roku was a stand alone device to use with Wifi to view on the TV. There are times when I just didn't want to have the notebook sitting on my lap and would be able to watch something on the big screen. I hope I haven't wasted my $$.

no the Roku is a stand-alone device just like anything that can connect to a home wireless network like a laptop, iPhone, etc..

The question though is what kind of wireless network you have. If you pay for a wireless 3G service that's accessible only by a supplied network card that plugs in to your laptop (presumably by USB or possibly pcmcia), nothing but that laptop (or whatever the card is plugged into) will connect to the network signal.
stratcat96

Postby Ichoosewireless » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 am

The wireless network in my area (RV park) is being recognized thru the Roku. But is not connecting. Here is the message: (CAN'T CONNECT TO YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK Verify that the wireless router is turned on and you entered the password correctly. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive (error code 014) Try again.)

How is one suppose to put a password in when you can't get a connection? Is the signal just to weak to get connected? :?
Ichoosewireless

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am

Ichoosewireless wrote:The wireless network in my area (RV park) is being recognized thru the Roku. But is not connecting. Here is the message: (CAN'T CONNECT TO YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK Verify that the wireless router is turned on and you entered the password correctly. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive (error code 014) Try again.)

How is one suppose to put a password in when you can't get a connection? Is the signal just to weak to get connected? :?

You can not connect directly to a network that requires a logon afaik
philsoft

Postby knuckle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 am

The wireless network supplied by your RV park will have its own password--- that is the password you entered in the roku right? -- I take it this is not the same verizon network that you have the modem and wireless card for and subscribe to, correct?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:33 am

knuckle wrote:The wireless network supplied by your RV park will have its own password--- that is the password you entered in the roku right? -- I take it this is not the same verizon network that you have the modem and wireless card for and subscribe to, correct?

I think there is security password for the router, and there is logon password to logon to the internet connection. I believe you would need to use ICS in order to logon to the internet connection.
philsoft

Postby Ichoosewireless » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

knuckle, yes this network is completely separate from my Verizon wireless network. And yes the RV park does have a password that I have to put in to get online. I did try and put the password in the network that is shown, but it did not work either. Can I ask what is a ICS?
Ichoosewireless

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 am

Ichoosewireless wrote:Can I ask what is a ICS?

Internet connection sharing through a computer.
philsoft

Postby Ichoosewireless » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am

:roll: philsoft, does this require another cable to be hooked up?
Ichoosewireless

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:08 pm

you can't connect the Roku to the RV parkwireless because it requires athentication, that is the password you type in to a logon screen once you open a browser. To get around this you set up internet connection sharing with your computer or laptop. Connect the laptop to the RV park wireless and then plug the Roku's ethernet into the laptop. Once you log in to the RV network with your browser, the software configuration of ICS (you will have to set this up) will share the authenticated net
stratcat96

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion